PDA

View Full Version : A question about the 08 field

Murray17
12-19-13, 06:50 PM
Right now I'm deciding which contract I'm going to sign and I wanted to know what the field observer and liaison does and if it's a job I would go straight into or if it's something that would take a little time before I'd be able to do that job.

josephd
12-19-13, 07:33 PM
If you sign an 08xx contract you could end up as a regular artillery cannoneer or any of the other 08 MOS's like meteorological, fire support, HIMARS(missiles), radar/radio, etc...

When you say "liaison" I assume you are referring to ANGLCO, which from what I gather is pretty hard to get into and typically for NCO's only

Murray17
12-20-13, 10:11 AM
Thank you for the reply, also another quick question. Is forward observer a job that you get through the 08 field? And if so, what is his job.

josephd
12-20-13, 10:29 AM
Thank you for the reply, also another quick question. Is forward observer a job that you get through the 08 field? And if so, what is his job.

I am not an 08xx so I am not quite sure but a forward observer is the Marine who observes the target for strikes and gets the artillery on target, calls in coordinates, confirms a strike, etc.

Ceya
02-22-14, 12:20 AM
I am not an 08xx so I am not quite sure but a forward observer is the Marine who observes the target for strikes and gets the artillery on target, calls in coordinates, confirms a strike, etc.

So true, They are the "Eyes of the Battlefield" as they say in school.

You see and shape the battle for both Mortars and Arty, Air and Naval gun fires if necessary.

ANGLCO maybe now for NCO but I had boots from school when I was attached to 12th Marines. They call all the above fires mostly Arty and Naval and use Long and Lats ( which I was taught being with them). When ANGLCO stood back up they went back being the eyes for all.

Foward Observer teaches you to see what a commander sees , shaping and moving peieces to win the battle.

Recon, Scouts (Infantry), Arty , Naval all have FOs. I had the pleasure to learn from all .

S/F,
CEYA!