PDA

View Full Version : Which MOS would be the best fit for me?

Ventus
12-05-13, 11:25 PM
So I get to decide on my MOS field in a couple weeks, however I don't really know what to pick. I have a few ideas, and a couple things that I would like to be able to do. I am a college graduate, and I eventually want to go to OCS through the ECP. Already tried going officer through an OSO 3 times and was not selected. I eventually hope to become a Naval Aviator.

I would like to do at least one of the following things:
Go to Jump/Parachutist school
Go to Combat Diver school
Go to Mountain Warfare school.

I am looking for something physically challenging and exciting to do, however I would also like to learn a skill that could land me a job later on.

Jobs Fields that I know historically have low cutting scores:
Intel, Logs, "anything air wing" (a captain in the reserves told me that), and Comms.

MOS fields that interest me:
Combat Camera
Meteorological/Oceanographic (but from what I've heard it is boring, although I've always been interested in weather)

My degree is in Psychology and I believe that I would be good at leading marines and giving individual help to people I could eventually lead.

So based on everything that I have said, do you fine Marines have any advice or insight that could hopefully make my decision easier?

Very Respectfully
~Ventus

Tennessee Top
12-06-13, 12:41 AM
Send a PM to djj34 - he is a pilot. Since you are a college grad already you are no spring chicken and your flight school clock is ticking...fast. Don't see you having the time to go to any of those schools first - you need to get accepted to ECP your initial application (may need to be at least a Sgt don't remember).

The MOS's you're interested in may get a quota for one of those schools periodically but don't believe it happens regularly. For instance, the Battalion S-3 may have just one quota to send someone to Mountain Warfare School - your chances of getting that quota out of 900 Marines are slim. Most of the things you want to do work like this - you submit a written request/application package (if you're eligible) and then somebody else determines if you're accepted...exactly like your OSO packages. You can always ask for all those things you're interested in - what you end up getting (if any) is a different matter.