PDA

View Full Version : How do i Convince my parents?

MCRD
11-29-13, 11:22 PM
I'm a Junior in High school and i'll be turning 17 in a couple of months and I want to enlist and join the DEP but my parents are against me enlisting in the Marine Corps. This is something I have always wanted ever since I was really young, but my parents want me to go to college.

My mom thinks my decision is irrational and have put no thought into it even though I have done my research and this is something I really want to do with my life for a long time! Even though my Dad was a Marine he doesn't want me to enlist.

But I think he will sign off though, but I really don't know how I am going to convince my mom to sign, she is totally against it. How do I convince them to let me enlist and join the DEP.

I don't want to wait until until after graduation and when 18 to enlist. I am going to enlist either way, and I'd rather not waste time after I graduate.

MAD MAN
11-30-13, 12:09 AM
Talk to the Recruiter he should be willing to sit down whit your parents and assist you in convincing her. You could try to find some middle ground tell her that this doesn't mean no collage it means no collage right now. Also the Marines has programs to help you pay for collage after you have been in for 2 years as well as the GI Bill's. Also as you said you may have to wait till you 18th birthday. Just be honest with them letting them know its what you want.

Tennessee Top
11-30-13, 05:40 AM
You'll have to wait. Under 18 requires your parent's signatures and they're not willing to sign. As a junior, you're eligible to talk to a recruiter so, go see one and get their advice. Let us know what they say.

DJ860420
11-30-13, 02:15 PM
You can not join the DEP until the end of your junior year anyway. The recruiter can explain all the benefits like being able to go to college while serving and after, the money you make, and everything else but none of that matters unless YOU can explain to your parents why you want to join. You need to be able to explain why you want the pride of belonging, why you want the discipline you know you can get with the Marines. If you can't describe why you want the intangible things of the Marines then it is a losing battle from the beginning.

Kegler300
11-30-13, 02:43 PM
Wait until you're 18. The Marine Corps will still be here.

MCRD
11-30-13, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the Advice!

crazymjb
12-01-13, 03:18 PM
You will have a full ride to most state schools in the country, some of which are among the best in the country. That is one benefit.

As far as getting her to "sign" early for you, you can explain that the day you swear in at MEPS time starts coming off the back end of your IRR time (IE the time you can get stop-lossed after your enlistment goes down). Also, the sooner you get into the DEP, the more time you will have to make sure you get the MOS you want.

Mike

Huklebuk
12-03-13, 05:40 PM
You need to let the recruiter know you are interested. He will schedule an appointment with you in april or may. It is critical that you let him know your dad is a Marine. You also should have a good idea of what concerns your mom has. A good recruiter will get the parental units on your side and get the parental consent for you to enlist. But like DJ said you have to have some good reasons yourself or its not going to go in your favor. Also, and this is important, have a plan on how you are going to attend college while in. You can use tuition assistance as soon as you get to your first duty station. It makes it easier when you have a plan in place and your parents see you are being proactive about your decision.