PDA

View Full Version : Still Haven't Received My MOS...

Brendon1215
11-04-13, 03:11 PM
So I enlisted a few weeks ago (on the 11th of October, I believe). Well, I enlisted under an Open/Poolee contract, and was told the entire time that I would choose my MOS with my recruiter and the Gunnery Sergeant of the RSS. It has been several weeks, and my infantry MOS field is supposedly submitted, although I haven't received my new contract yet for some reason. Every time I bring it up, I get the "it takes a while" thing. I don't want it to take so long to the point where I get screwed out of MOS and end up getting my other choices (field artillery & tanks/AAV's), which I really don't want as bad as I want infantry.

What should I do?

josephd
11-04-13, 04:01 PM
keep waiting....there is nothing you can do

welcome to the military life....waiting for hours, days, weeks, sometimes even months for things is a normal thing

Rocky C
11-04-13, 04:22 PM
Hurry up and wait. " It is what it is "...

Hang in there.

Tennessee Top
11-04-13, 07:20 PM
Don't see what option you have. The decision is out of your recruiter's hands at this point. If you expect them to "bug" higher headquarters about your MOS that is not going to happen. What would you like them to do or say?

crazymjb
11-04-13, 08:12 PM
Just be clear with them that you won't leave until you have your desired MOS, that will light a fire under their rear.

Mike

Tennessee Top
11-05-13, 02:18 AM
If the answer comes back one of your other choices are you willing to wait for infantry?

Brendon1215
11-05-13, 10:19 AM
Thanks everyone. I'll keep you all updated.

If the answer comes back one of your other choices are you willing to wait for infantry?
Absolutely. But I shouldn't have to considering the fiscal year just started a month ago.

Tennessee Top
11-05-13, 04:57 PM
One thing you have to remember about the new fiscal year is all the other poolees around the country who have been waiting months for their MOS (way before Oct 11th). Many have told their recruiter they will not ship unless they get their first choice. They were all waiting for the new fiscal year allocations too. Should you get your MOS choice before them? I don't think so - they have been going to poolee functions and PT formations a lot longer than you have. How would you feel if you were one of them and somebody boot to you got their MOS choice before you did?

If you insist on waiting for your first choice then you are tying your recruiter's hands and will just have to wait. Believe it or not, there is not an endless supply of MOS's out there recruiters can just pick and choose from and give everybody what they want. Play hardball with your recruiter for as long as you want to - just don't blame them when nothing happens.

rsteers
11-05-13, 11:50 PM
If you are set on doing infantry, I would not ship out unless you get it. You will spend years of your life in the USMC so you should spend them doing something you like. It'll be worth the wait.

crazymjb
11-06-13, 09:07 PM
If you are set on doing infantry, I would not ship out unless you get it. You will spend years of your life in the USMC so you should spend them doing something you like. It'll be worth the wait.

X10000000

Mike

Brendon1215
11-20-13, 07:12 PM
I've been enlisted for about 40 days and still DO NOT have my infantry MOS. Should I be concerned?

crazymjb
11-20-13, 08:10 PM
Depends, when are you supposed to leave? It took them a few months to find my buddy who's at PI now his MOS for his desired reserve company.

Mike

Brendon1215
11-20-13, 08:37 PM
Depends, when are you supposed to leave? It took them a few months to find my buddy who's at PI now his MOS for his desired reserve company.

Mike
20140721, but it may change because I'm suppose to ship with some of my buddies. My friend got his contract in like 53 days and it has been a little over 40 for me.

crazymjb
11-20-13, 10:28 PM
You've got plenty of time, just stay on top of your recruiter about it. Be clear that you won't ship without getting your MOS, but be tactful in telling him that.

Mike

Brendon1215
11-21-13, 07:37 AM
You've got plenty of time, just stay on top of your recruiter about it. Be clear that you won't ship without getting your MOS, but be tactful in telling him that.

Mike
Thanks a lot, Corporal. We talk 3-4 times per week and I make it clear every time that I want the infantry contract, really bad. I asked the SNOIC, whom is a Gunnery Sergeant & he stated to me that it's still pending.

crazymjb
11-21-13, 08:49 AM
I'm sure they are working on it if you are on them that much about it. As I said, you've got time. If you were leaving next month I'd be a little more nervous.

Mike

Brendon1215
11-21-13, 10:06 AM
I'm sure they are working on it if you are on them that much about it. As I said, you've got time. If you were leaving next month I'd be a little more nervous.

Mike
Absolutely. Okay, well I have to stop in to my recruiters office today & I'll ask him about it. Thank you, once again.

I'll keep everyone updated on this thread.

DJ860420
11-29-13, 10:20 PM
Something is up. We see all our jobs a year out from Oct to Sept. Every recruiting station in your area pulls from that job pool. They might not have an infantry spot open for that date and don't want to tell you. It shouldn't take longer than a week to get a job assigned. They actually get bugged about poolees missing things like jobs, IST scores, and Diplomas or transcripts.

MAD MAN
11-30-13, 12:15 AM
I personally was in the pool 6 or 7 months before receiving mine. Its not you recruiters that are the hang up the submit your request and wait. Just make sure they know that you will not ship open contract. Be respectful in doing it though remember they hold the KEYS to what you want.

Huklebuk
12-03-13, 05:51 PM
Something is up. We see all our jobs a year out from Oct to Sept. Every recruiting station in your area pulls from that job pool. They might not have an infantry spot open for that date and don't want to tell you. It shouldn't take longer than a week to get a job assigned. They actually get bugged about poolees missing things like jobs, IST scores, and Diplomas or transcripts.

Indeed. You should not be waiting this long to have a job assigned. ASK them if they can move you into another period in order to get the program you want.

Brendon1215
12-04-13, 12:30 PM
I went to the main recruiting station yesterday and my recruiter told me they just got some kid's contract who enlisted in November. I enlisted October 11th and I still do not have mine yet. But they said "it should be available soon"...I've been hearing this since a week after I enlisted & it's getting extremely frustrating and I'm terrified that I won't get it, considering everything supposedly opened up October 1st. I don't know why they wouldn't have any infantry contracts. They told me they don't foresee it being a problem. I was under the impression that I would receive my contract within a week or two. One of my friends enlisted a month & a half before I did (we went to the same school and came from the same recruiting station) & he received his contract in about 45 days. It has been almost 2 months for me.

Huklebuk
12-04-13, 05:39 PM
I can't tell you what the exact situation is. However I can tell you this. It most likely is not in their control at the time. I know just recently that we went through a big program restructuring up at district. These things happen from time to time. It may not be available right this second. They may have to put you on another program because we get beat up if we dont get programs assigned to our poolees. They will get you the infantry job IF they can. WE work hard to take care of our poolees and get them what they want. Patience is the ultimate virtue when it comes to this kind of thing. By all means give your recruiter a friendly reminder, maybe once or twice a month, that you still really want that infantry job. Anymore than that and it becomes annoying.

Now, what can you do? Here is the best advice I can give you. Show up to your pool functions, maintain a ship ready level of IST scores, be a positive influence, bring referrals, stay out of trouble, be the best poolee you can possibly be etc. Why is this important? Because these are the poolees who get taken care of first when things dont go as planned. Be prepared to ship at anytime. I can almost promise (notice the almost) that a ship spot will come open around the time you are shipping and there will be an infantry spot sitting there waiting for you.

Have a little trust, faith and confidence your recruiter. Please understand that you are not the only Poolee on the planet and trust me, we have other things going on. I personally dont work on Poolee time, I get things done as I can. If you could follow around a recruiter and see all the B.S. we have to deal with on a daily basis this would make more sense.

crazymjb
12-04-13, 11:46 PM
As I said, just don't ship until you have your MOS in writing. There is plenty of time before you leave I don't see it as a huge deal. If you were only a few weeks out I'd tell you to start worrying and maybe call your congressman, haha.

Mike

Brendon1215
12-05-13, 07:21 AM
I talked with my recruiter last night, and he said the Master Sergeant who assigns the programs, had some health problems & just recently got back. Thanks again everyone. I'll keep updating on this thread.

Tennessee Top
12-05-13, 11:04 AM
Hoping for good news for you. Good luck.

Rocky C
12-05-13, 05:29 PM
:thumbup: