PDA

View Full Version : im looking for the best route to take in the corps.

jboria
10-30-13, 02:12 PM
I am currently in college and am waiting to finish my semester so I could recieve my 15 credits so I can enlist.

The reason for this is because I did not finish high school. I wanted to know which route to take after I enlist.

I am looking to Earn my title as a Marine and also continue a carreer after my enlistment is over . I am currently an I.T student.

I was hoping that someone can advise me in which MOS to aim for. My original plan was to retire out but I do not know how the system works.

The recruiters that I have spoken to have not been giving me the information I need. I just want to know how to make my career in the Marines a successful one.

Also if I wanted to become a police officer after my enlisment ends, which steps should I take?.

How long should I enlist for ?. How long do I have to be enlisted to retire?. Which benifits come along with my retirement?.

I dont want to settle for less and I want to earn my way up the ranks. I am interested in combat, intel, and mp.

Tennessee Top
10-30-13, 03:10 PM
Can't answer all of those but I'll take a crack at being a career Marine since I was one for 22.6 years. Today, I think a career is something one can hope for but not really plan on. I never did the combat fitness test (CFT) but have read it convinces a lot of older Marines to get out sooner rather than later. Also, because the USMC is shrinking, reenlistment has gotten tougher and boils down to a numbers game. You may be qualified for reenlistment, but when the time comes, there may not be enough boatspaces (slots) in your MOS to allow you to stay. Requesting a lateral move into an undermanned MOS may be an option (if you're qualified for that MOS) but that can be turned down as well. I saw too many young Marines with career aspirations (many with families) forced out eventhough they were highly recommended by their commanding officer. To make a career, you're looking at reenlisting 4-5 times which gives the USMC that many times to say "no". My advice is to always have a back-up plan - hope for best but prepare for the worst.

JoeMyst
11-02-13, 09:57 AM
Tennessee Top pretty much hit everything on the head, I only have a few things to add. We all know the Corps is downsizing, in the next 5 years we're looking to lose ~20,000 men and women. Reenlistment, from what I've seen, isn't the difficult part. The difficult part is that initial enlistment since they're consistently adding on criteria all the way from tattoos to old injuries. If you're eligible and someone your local recruiter wants then the next step is waiting for all those people who were waiting before you to sign their papers before it's your chance. And after that's all said and done the first thing your recruiter will do is offer what's on the table right now rather than a specific MOS.

Somehow I found myself an infantry position so that tells you there's still a position available for everything that they teach in Marine Corps and subsequent schools. It all just depends how long you're willing to wait, and how long your recruiter is willing to let you wait.

On that note, I hear of many Marines becoming police officers or something similar afterward. Since you're looking to sign a contract for 4+ years I guarantee you'll have a lot of time to think about what you want to do after your contract is up and how you'll do it. Don't plan on being a lifer before you know what you're getting into; The first time you have a MCRDPI/MCRDSD Drill Instructor knife handing you and yelling in your face is the first time you'll realize your recruiter couldn't explain everything. If you plan on staying (if* and when your training is complete) then good on you.
*"If" because a lot of people fall out of training, or choose to leave the Corps during their first contract. But they all signed up planning on making it through.

TheMachine3
11-09-13, 03:16 AM
Since you're an IT a good MOS for you would be 2651. It falls under intel. Im a 2621 I do fun top-secret stuff while 2651's come fix all the tech we break. Even though what you do isnt top secret you can still get a top secret security clearance (if you qualify) for the job which is UNBELIEVABLY valuable in the civilian world. Intel contracts are 5 years.

New York
11-22-13, 01:07 AM
How about this, if you plan on becoming a COP i suggest 4 years. Why? to get the jist of things in the Military in general, discipline, strong values morally, and in being a better citizens over all and of course the forever title of US Marine.

This will all help you in your quest to Law Enforcement, since that is what they desire out of candidates.

MAD MAN
11-28-13, 10:29 AM
0600 field has a Data MOS you set up servers and networks also the 2800 field fixes what 0600's break but remember you get given contracts that group fields together so you could end up being something you don't want like a field Radio operator or a Sat Comm Operator or fixing other things other then data communications. just remember your recruiter more then likely cant get you a specific MOS just a field or group of fields. I had a guy in my platoon at MCT join to be a cop swore thats what his contract was well MT Operator was also on his contract he wasn't very happy when he found out thats what he was getting. Just make sure you talk with the recruiter and ask questions and read your contract before signing it .