PDA

View Full Version : Retake ASVAB?

10-23-13, 07:55 AM
I know there was a thread about this earlier this year, but the site says I am not authorized to post in the thread.

My dream in the Marine Corps is to go out for RECON. My buddy and I always wanted to and he passed- In his honor I vowed I would try for him. There is a roadblock.. my GT score was a 101, RECON accepts no less than a 105 GT.

My recruiter says I cannot retake the ASVAB (reasons unspecified), but when I am in and I attempt a lateral move. I can retake the examination. I trust my recruiter (as much as unfoolishly possible), but is this possible to take it prior to a lateral move and if so how hard is it to do? Am I able to demand an ASVAB retake in the DEP?

Thank you to anyone for your help!
Stephen Garber

Tennessee Top
10-23-13, 11:37 AM
Don't know about a retest in the DEP (never was a recruiter). What makes you think your score will be any higher (are you studying)? Are you aware some people's scores actually go down instead of up? If this happens, you will be stuck and ineligible for even more MOS's - and you'll kick yourself in the head. I think that's the reason they don't let you retest in the DEP - not worth the gamble.

Do know you can retest in the fleet. I needed a 110 GT to be eligible for the Warrant Officer Program. Retested as a Sgt. Don't remember my new score but it was high enough to apply.

It is not hard at all to retake the ASVAB (at least it wasn't for me at the time). Getting accepted to recon indoctrination is a different matter. Just because you have the minimum requirements like the GT score does not mean the USMC will let you go. I got the GT score I needed for the WO program but never selected. Same thing may happen to you.

Lat moves are rare (for a variety of reasons) and something one cannot count/plan on. When they are approved, it's normally in conjunction with a reenlistment incentive. In that case, you would be looking at waiting till your second enlistment.

Read the similar threads beneath your question.

10-23-13, 12:46 PM
Thank you very much, Sir! I am aware that scores do go down, but I have studied more in the areas that I lacked in. I did well in the basic academics and motor mechanics, but things like Electrical Knowledge got the best of me.

I was informed that I could retest in the fleet, but I wasn't sure of how common it was, but from what I gathered of your response- it can be done. I know lat moves are rare, so I was hoping if I retook it in DEP I could apply or the RECON contract and maybe I could get to the INDOC that way.

Rocky C
10-23-13, 05:41 PM
Note: As of October 15, 2012, retaking the ASVAB while in the DEP is no longer authorized.

Tennessee Top
10-23-13, 08:12 PM
Settles that. You'll just have to wait till you hit the fleet. Gives you more time to prepare for the retest and Recon indoc - if they let you go.

10-25-13, 07:10 AM
Thank you both, very much!