PDA

View Full Version : On base housing for a spouse and child

KidFlash
10-14-13, 01:47 PM
Hello everyone I just a question to ask. My girlfriend may be expecting a child I love her and was brought up the right way so marriage is going to be our next step. I leave for boot in February and we wanted to wait until after to get marrried. Will the Marine Corps help with housing for my wife and child and how long would I have to wait for on base housing

josephd
10-14-13, 02:35 PM
first thing you need to do is let your recruiter you know you will/may have a dependent

But yes the Marine Corps will help you out with housing for your family. The wait for on base housing depends on availability at a particular duty station, I don't think anyone here will be able to know what that wait is like anywhere

Rocky C
10-14-13, 04:55 PM
Your girlfriend might be expecting ? So this is an unknown right now. If you do the math you will have graduated Boot Camp Hopfully before the baby is even born.

If she is not then according to your post " You woudn't need to do the right thing " so base housing should not be on your mind which is another unknown.

Best of luck to you both.

Tennessee Top
10-14-13, 08:30 PM
Just to give you some idea - my ex and I waitied 13 months for base housing at Camp Pendleton (no children). In the meantime, we rented a one bedroom apartment in San Clemente (the USMC will give you a housing allowance to help with rent/utilities - as soon as you move on base the housing allowance stops but you won't have rent/utilities to pay anymore). The housing allowance is based on the area you're renting in. For instance, the cost of living is higher in California than it is in North Carolina so the housing allowance is more there. After we were in base housing for a year, my unaccompanied orders to Okinawa for 12 months showed up.

Are you aware many junior enlisted Marines with a wife and child/children qualify for EBT (food stamps)? What will your wife do when you get deployed (take the baby back to her parent's house and live with them)?

Read the "similar threads" beneath your question.

KidFlash
10-14-13, 09:34 PM
Just to give you some idea - my ex and I waitied 13 months for base housing at Camp Pendleton (no children). In the meantime, we rented a one bedroom apartment in San Clemente (the USMC will give you a housing allowance to help with rent/utilities - as soon as you move on base the housing allowance stops but you won't have rent/utilities to pay anymore). The housing allowance is based on the area you're renting in. For instance, the cost of living is higher in California than it is in North Carolina so the housing allowance is more there. After we were in base housing for a year, my unaccompanied orders to Okinawa for 12 months showed up.

Are you aware many junior enlisted Marines with a wife and child/children qualify for EBT (food stamps)? What will your wife do when you get deployed (take the baby back to her parent's house and live with them)?

Read the "similar threads" beneath your question.

I'm going in for aviation logistics would I still end up in Okinawa

ameriken
10-14-13, 09:35 PM
Not to poo-poo your marriage intentions, but you might want to read another sorta related thread that has a bit of discussion about marriage in the Corps here:
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115472-Anybody-There

KidFlash
10-14-13, 09:48 PM
I know it's going to be hard but we've talked about it and we are ready and strong enough to get through it. It depends on the people and I understand you guys ( Marines ) want to help but I don't need negative comments. I want to be one of the best Marines I can be and Marines are spose to be strong and I've lived my whole life in discomfort it'll be hard at first but we are sting enough to bear down and push through

josephd
10-14-13, 10:07 PM
Telling you your marriage will be tough and probably won't work isn't a "negative comment", it's a realistic comment.

Do what you need to do though....you do you booboo!

Tennessee Top
10-14-13, 10:17 PM
I'm going in for aviation logistics would I still end up in Okinawa

Possible - both times I went to OKI it was with the 1st Marine Aircraft Wing FMF(PAC).

Tennessee Top
10-14-13, 10:51 PM
I know it's going to be hard but we've talked about it and we are ready and strong enough to get through it. It depends on the people and I understand you guys want to help but I don't need negative comments. I want to be one of the best marines I can be and marines are spose to be strong and I've lived my whole life in discomfort it'll be hard at first but we are sting enough to bear down and push through

If all you want are positive comments you're on the wrong forum and wasting everybody's time. Don't come on our forum and ask us questions if you don't want our answers or only answers you want to hear. Could offer some more advice (I only wore our uniform for 22.6 years and counselled many young Marines in your same situation with the same attitude) but since you don't want it or think you need it there's really no point in wasting my time. Good luck.

Tangoyankee
10-14-13, 11:25 PM
First slow your roll. #1 get through boot camp. #2 wait until you're at least a Corporal and then if you're still going strong get married and look into base housing. I can't tell you how many Marines myself Included where married and divorced by the time we picked up Corporal.

Tennessee Top
10-15-13, 02:38 PM
First slow your roll. #1 get through boot camp. #2 wait until you're at least a Corporal and then if you're still going strong get married and look into base housing. I can't tell you how many Marines myself Included where married and divorced by the time we picked up Corporal.

Good advice from someone else who has been there and done that. But, he's strong and obviously has all the answers, already made his mind up, and doesn't need any help from any of us. Some people just need to learn the hard way so I say "welcome to the school of hard knocks poolee - hope you are a quick learner".