PDA

View Full Version : God in boot camp

lprkn
12-17-03, 10:35 AM
While I know that there is infinite opportunity to privately pray in boot camp, I'm wondering if there are how many chances there are for group bible study or prayer. I think this is something that would be very helpful to myself and others in boot camp.

Super Dave
12-17-03, 11:14 AM
There isn't any group bible studies, you have church service on Sundays, that's about it...but ohh yes....you will be doing some praying.

Caesar Augustus
12-17-03, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Super Dave
There isn't any group bible studies, you have church service on Sundays, that's about it...but ohh yes....you will be doing some praying.
:D

jenrmurray
12-17-03, 12:02 PM
My husband was a Lay Reader/Leader in boot camp (basically a small group leader... if there ever was a group). This is what he said when I sent him your question:

In theory you're supposed to get 10 minutes every night to gather together and pray. The reality is that the DI's have to have you in bed at Taps, and they have to get certain things done. So 99% of the time your evening BDR (basic daily routine) gets cut way short. I've seen nights you only get 5 seconds to pray before they get you back online.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-17-03, 02:04 PM
In short, each night there will be groups of Catholics and Protestants, and the people with other religions can go off by on their own. The Lay Reader says a prayer for the group, the DI tells you when to stop, everyone yells "KILL" and runs back to their place in ffront of their rack to continue the nightly routine.

lprkn
12-17-03, 02:52 PM
Good to go, thanks.

RoboRobinson17
12-17-03, 02:58 PM
There will be time for prayer, not very much in the begginning, but as things get more into a routine and you get trash done faster. The different religions split up, and then pray seperately, you can have a designated prayer leader or any one who needs prayers for family or wants to say one can. I carried a small bible (the one I got at MEPS before I shipped) in the pocket of my blouse. Whenever we had L5's on the range and weren't sounding off, I would pull it out for a few minutes and read. There is always time to pray when you hit the rack as well. Good Luck.

Stay Motivated,

Joe

Caesar Augustus
12-17-03, 04:31 PM
How many religions do yo tipically see in boot camp. Are they mainly Christian religions, or islamic one also. Just wondering. Not that you need a set time to pray, because its easy to pray while you are writing, or running

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-17-03, 08:12 PM
In my platoon, we had people that went to the Protestant, Catholic, Mormon, Church of Christ, and Jewish services. It just depends on your platoon really. Just about every religion in America is represented in the Marine Corps, so you could have a wide range of religions represented in your platoon.

RichLundeen
12-17-03, 08:46 PM
My religion was getting my clothes scrubbed on Sunday, doing some push ups, and getting the hell out of Dodge.

Let the Lay - privates do what they will, work on the weak guys in your squad.

Leave (after being a contract PFC) boot a LCPL.

It worked.

Rich

PooleeCross
12-17-03, 10:41 PM
That reminds me.... Are there Catholic bibles and rosaries available at the chapel services? I was thinking about bringing my own (I'm not particularly religious, but they say you need whatever help you can get, and at least it's something to read), but don't want to give myself any extra grief.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-18-03, 12:26 AM
You will be given the New Testament, and that is about it. I don't know about Rosaries, but I never saw anyone with one. I don't know what the rules are about bringing your own Bible, I would assume you can, but I wouldn't. It is just one more thing to have to deal with when your belongings become confused with others in your platoon.

PooleeCross
12-18-03, 02:37 AM
That's the thing. The Catholic new testament is slightly different from the Protestant new testament. In particular, the Church sanctions which bibles Catholics are supposed to use. Anyway, it's not a *huge* distinction and the differences are largely academic. Thanks for the answer.

firstsgtmike
12-18-03, 04:19 AM
Just a comment.

When I went through MCRD in 1958, the only time and place for religion that I saw was on Sunday morning. Those that wanted to go to church services went, everyone else stayed behind and read the Sunday newspapers. (It was the only time we were allowed newspapers. They were on sale at the mess hall only on Sunday morning and were "gone" by Sunday evening.)

Sunday afternoons were either intermural games or watching the base football team play a visiting team.

What I am learning here is that things have changed. Those that want to participate in bible or prayer sessions are afforded the opportunity, all-be-it limited, to do so.

Let's hope that the P.C. police never find out about it.

jdfairman
12-18-03, 06:56 PM
When I went (not too long ago, 1999), my drill instructors always made sure we had time to pray in the evening and go to church on Sunday. As a matter of fact, going to service on Sunday was one of those things in the Marine Corps that wasn't necessarily required, but my drill instructors let us know that it was HIGHLY HIGHLY encouraged if you know what I mean.
I don't think you'll have alot of time for in depth Bible studies and devotionals, but I'm sure you'll have time to pray and talk to the Lord.

RoboRobinson17
12-18-03, 11:16 PM
Poolee Cross....Once you are there, your SDI will let you know what he expects of packages, if he allows any. Some recruits in our platoon got socks, skivvies, religous books. Once you find out, you can always have it mailed to you.

PooleeCross
12-19-03, 12:15 AM
Thanks, PFC Robinson. That's an excellent idea.

firstsgtmike
12-19-03, 04:23 AM
Again, 1958.

Some platoons, a pkg of goodies, you ate yourself until you puked.

My Plt, 299, you were given a choice. Share it, or eat it all yourself (until you puked).

I had civvies sent. Remained unopened until graduation day. We went on leave before Christmas. I left in a suit. My JDI was getting married that day.

I passed his friends, sword bearers, family, etc. "Goodbye Sgt Lay, thanks for everything, I'd buy you a beer if I thought you were old enough."

After ITR, I returned to MCRD for RTOC School. Sgt. Lay was still on the drill field.

Today, 35 years later, I still remember. But John Lay is now a minister in Texas, unaware of the debt I owe him. He helped make me a Marine.

And for those who are hung up on race, Sgt Johnny Ray is a black Marine, who taught us all, the color green.

ALSEUT
12-19-03, 06:44 AM
In 1973 at MCRD they tried to discourage me from going to church but it didn't work. I went any way and had my spiritual battery recharged, which gave me strength through the week. I couldn't go...

dikatry
12-23-03, 08:44 PM
Turn to evening devotion...ready, move PRAY!
30 seconds go by
Secure evening devotion...ready, move KILL!

hazmatbombero
12-29-03, 09:25 PM
when I was in boot camp...in 90.....we went to church every sunday. Im catholic, but I dont remember any other praying, other than to yourself. You will be the closest to god as youve ever been....cause boot camp aint no fun!!! I also remember a buddy of mine being picked up at night to go to church.....either 7nth day or jehovahs...cant remember.

scream
12-30-03, 11:51 AM
Is there any Buddist churches at Boot Camp? This question is from a friend of mine who is interested in the marines and i dont have the answer.

Caesar Augustus
12-30-03, 01:25 PM
Marines Scream

Sparrowhawk
12-30-03, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by scream
Is there any Buddist churches at Boot Camp? This question is from a friend of mine who is interested in the marines and i dont have the answer.

There was bootist there.

Everytime you messed up, you got booted.

The only prayer we prayed was..

"Goodnight Chesty Puller, where ever you are."

Then lights went out.

Sunday you were required to go to church, to repent of all the evil thoughts, that came to us, concerning the Corps during Boot camp.

LOL

Caesar Augustus
12-30-03, 06:36 PM
haha Sparrow

Caesar Augustus
12-30-03, 06:37 PM
who'd have bad thoughts about their Drill Instructors or the Marine Corps during boot camp;)

joemustang
01-06-04, 12:33 PM
i just graduated bootcamp on december 19th, and just to let you know, you can bring your catholic bible with you to bootcamp. that is about the only personal item that i would suggest to bring. and about the rosaries, they do have them at bootcamp, your battalion chaplain will come by your squadbay and give them to your SDI and he will probably put them on the scribes desk. Also, about time for prayer, you might get a chance every now and again to pray with a group, but that just gets out of hand and most of the time they go goof off and your DI gets mad and you do push ups until 10 seconds to lights. i am a Christian(Baptist) and i just prayed on my own because prayin was my time to talk to my Lord and Savior. Also, The Bible says to pray without ceasing, meaning, at any time God will listen and answer your prayers, and remember, you can do all things in Christ who strengthens you!

Super Dave
01-06-04, 02:34 PM
When i was in boot, in 1982, we had a buddist, The SDI told hin that he has a choice Catholic or Protestant..pick one.

PooleeCross
01-06-04, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the information, Joe Mustang. Good to know about the rosaries and bible at Parris Island! Thanks again!

jdh091284
01-18-04, 02:33 PM
When I was at boot camp, just this summer, the chaplain gave rosaries to those who wanted them.

There were Buddhist services there, as well. This is the San Diego side of the house, I can't vouch for PI.