PDA

View Full Version : Will any 4 year degree allow me to attend OCS?

BBarry
10-06-13, 01:02 PM
Hello guys ( Marines ),
I would very much like to pursue a career as an officer in the Marine Corps, and am in college right now at Florida Atlantic University. I am in my freshman year right now, and while I do really like the school, unfortunately, I'm a bit underwhelmed with the classes I am taking. I feel like I am back in high school, and taking classes with no bearing either on my major, or a career in the military. I was wondering if I transferred to a college like ITT, or DeVry, and attained a more hands-on degree if this would be equivalent to a degree from a university in the eyes of the military. Though the websites do make it clear that credits received there are not usually transferrable to other universities, they do say that they have bachelors programs, and 4-year degrees, which is why I'm confused. I can not find any information online saying that a degree from these schools is not acceptable to the military.

Hopefully you guys ( Marines ) can give me some insight,

Thanks, Brandon

josephd
10-06-13, 01:25 PM
No, degrees from tech/vocational schools do NOT count

Get in touch with the OSO(officer selection officer) in your area, and they can get you on a path to a commissioning program

BBarry
10-06-13, 01:27 PM
Thank you! Will do that

usmcrro
10-07-13, 12:40 AM
You don't necessarily need a degree to attend OCS. However, you will need at least 60 semester units to attend and you will have to get a BA/BS degree to receive commission. The education must be regionally certified by the Dept of Education. Google Dept. of Education certifications for higher education.