PDA

View Full Version : Preparations?

ckbane6
09-16-13, 12:57 AM
I am leaving for MCRD October 21st what should I do to prepare myself for basic training ( Boot Camp ) ? Also I signed an open contract and have my recruiter three jobs that I most wanted (infantry, mp, mwd) can I be promised that I will get one of these jobs or will one be given to me?

josephd
09-16-13, 01:28 AM
I am leaving for MCRD October 21st what should I do to prepare myself for basic training? Also I signed n open contract and have my recruiter three jobs that I most wanted (infantry, mp, mwd) can I be promised that I will get one of these jobs or will one be given to me?

open contract means that nothing is promised... you could end up a cook, admin, mechanic, whatever or wherever the Corps needs you.

at this point being that you are shipping in about a month there isn't else you can do to prepare for boot camp. just take care of any personal affairs, spend time with your family and friends, enjoy yourself without getting into trouble.

Rocky C
09-16-13, 07:31 AM
X2:thumbup:

Best of luck to you.

devilbones2
09-16-13, 07:46 AM
I would practice running (dont kill yourself, you dont want to get injured) and pullups. You are going to have plenty of practice but you might want to get used to it now. Good luck and make sure to do what your told, when your told as fast as you can and you should be good to go. Be the best at what you do, no matter what you are doing. You should put as much effort into taking out the trash or raking leaves as you do in drill or the rifle range.

Tennessee Top
09-16-13, 08:15 PM
Your recruiter can answer both these questions. You should be asking them (and LISTENING to what they say). Good luck.

ckbane6
09-20-13, 02:18 AM
I spoke to my recruiter and told him I want an infantry or mp mos. he told me to give him my three top MOS in order and i told him Infantry, MWD, and MP. he said come October 1st he will lock in my job. I go for the pool function this coming up Saturday so I will talk to him more detailed about it than through text and over the phone. I just want something I'm gonna like doing I don't wanna not like my experience in the marine corps just bc I got a job I didn't want.

ckbane6
09-20-13, 02:21 AM
I wouldn't say I'm in the best shape but at my last pool function I ran my 1.5 mile in 10:48 and ever since then I've been running 3 times a week doing a distance of 2 miles each time and then playing basketball and flag football with friends.

Gemoore2
09-20-13, 02:27 AM
Military Police is a great feild to get into. If that is the ultimate contract you end up signing, feel free to ask me any question you want. After all, that is what I did..

m14ed
09-20-13, 04:59 AM
Basic Training ??? that's usually an ARMY/ Navy/ AirFarce/ CoastGuard term..

Marines call it
Boot Camp.

PREPERATION ???
you've spent your whole life up untill now..
kinda late to ask, isn't it ?

ckbane6
09-20-13, 02:27 PM
Military Police is a great feild to get into. If that is the ultimate contract you end up signing, feel free to ask me any question you want. After all, that is what I did..

How hard is it to get in to Military Working Dog? And also if I select a specific MOS say like the 0300 field I cant be promised machine gunner or LAV ill get put wherever they need me right?

MunkyVsRobot
09-20-13, 03:52 PM
Id sugggest concentrating on passing boot camp first before you worry about what job youll be doing you might not even get that job as your MOS its all needs of the Marine Corps and when you submit to get the job.

Tennessee Top
09-20-13, 04:36 PM
How hard is it to get in to Military Working Dog? And also if I select a specific MOS say like the 0300 field I cant be promised machine gunner or LAV ill get put wherever they need me right?

Correct - you will be put where they need you. It will be up to you whether you like it or not or how successful you are.

Gemoore2
09-20-13, 10:10 PM
In order to be K9, you have to pass the basic 5811 Military Police school, after that you will be sent to another base to complete the MWD handler school..

When I went through Military Police school they were accepting volunteers for K9. However, there are not enough spaces to fill for everyone that wants to obtain the MOS. There was only one available slot for K9 for my MP class, between a MP class of approximately 35 students. So what ultimately happened, was the operations chief, at that time, had all those who wanted the slot to write an essay on why they wanted to be K9. On top of that, he also calculated in everyone's performance I.E: rifle scores, PFT (fitness) scores, MP class scores, how well the Marine conducted himself while at the school (how they presented themselves such as uniform upkeep, their level of motivation, and such.)

So basically, if you want to be K9, you will have to sign a 5811 Basic Military Police contract and EARN your way to K9. You will need to perform and prove that you deserve the position. MP school is not the end of the road at becoming K9 either, you can choose to be K9 later in your career based on needs of the Marine Corps. So if you are not selected out of MP school, there will be opportunities in the future.

This information I am presenting to you was how K9 was selected during my time of service which was between 2005-2011. Unless anything has changed since, which I doubt..

ckbane6
09-21-13, 12:24 PM
In order to be K9, you have to pass the basic 5811 Military Police school, after that you will be sent to another base to complete the MWD handler school..

When I went through Military Police school they were accepting volunteers for K9. However, there are not enough spaces to fill for everyone that wants to obtain the MOS. There was only one available slot for K9 for my MP class, between a MP class of approximately 35 students. So what ultimately happened, was the operations chief, at that time, had all those who wanted the slot to write an essay on why they wanted to be K9. On top of that, he also calculated in everyone's performance I.E: rifle scores, PFT (fitness) scores, MP class scores, how well the Marine conducted himself while at the school (how they presented themselves such as uniform upkeep, their level of motivation, and such.)

So basically, if you want to be K9, you will have to sign a 5811 Basic Military Police contract and EARN your way to K9. You will need to perform and prove that you deserve the position. MP school is not the end of the road at becoming K9 either, you can choose to be K9 later in your career based on needs of the Marine Corps. So if you are not selected out of MP school, there will be opportunities in the future.

This information I am presenting to you was how K9 was selected during my time of service which was between 2005-2011. Unless anything has changed since, which I doubt..

Well I didn't qualify for it but I did get my jobs selected today after my last IST I picked Infantry, combat support, and some kind of aviation job..