PDA

View Full Version : Needing Knowledge/Advice For Military Career Path

HumblePatriot
09-13-13, 12:13 AM
I am a college graduate that is currently seeking a career as an officer in the USMC reserves. However, earlier this week I was told by my OSO officer that I have been PDQd for medical reasons before going to MEPS. I have been diagnosed with ADD as a child and I know that is frowned upon. However, I have medical transcripts from my doctor saying I have been prescription free for almost 2 years now, and that the meds were not a regularly scheduled prescription to take. I also had a slight concussion during the time I played football in a D1 college, and my post test showed I had a small amount of memory loss. This has surpassed the 5 year minimum wait time as required. Finally, I had a sports hernia repaired just over a year ago and am in better shape that I was before hand. My OSO never spoke about the possibility of waivers that could be filed so I am thinking that is an option. So I would like to know if anyone knows of literature or fellow Marines that have had experience with these things? I know none of you may not be doctors, but any advice can help.

On another note, I am currently contemplating other branches to pursue a career as an officer. While my heart and attitude will always be in the ways of the Corps (many family members were Marines). And my pursuit has always been to lead and mentor other while continually learning from those around me as an officer. That is why I am looking to the other branches. Does anyone have advice as to which branch to go towards? I know that's a really odd question to ask Marines. If I am rejected from the other branches as an officer, does anyone know the odds of getting accepted into the enlisted reserves for the Corps?

Any advice for any of my questions is appreciated. I just don't want to constantly bug the OSO because I am such a stubborn Polak and don't know the meaning of quit. Thank you.

HumblePatriot
09-13-13, 12:21 AM
I forgot to add a question:

What is the time frame and odds to get into OCS if I went the enlisted route to the Corps?

josephd
09-13-13, 01:43 AM
I will say this first....if being an officer is your ultimate goal DO NOT ENLIST!....enlisting is NOT a stepping stone to becoming an officer or a better one. Enlisting will just set you back at least 4 years and may turn you off from trying to commission.

If your OSO already told you that you don't qualify, especially after you've been bugging him, then I am sorry to say you probably don't have a chance. I have been through the PLC/OCS process a few times now and I can say that OSOs wants you to be persistent because it shows motivation and it is something that you really want.

Going to a different branch really depends on what you want to do, do you want to lead a platoon?....if this is the case I would suggest going Army that way you can be in a similar branch to the Corps and you'll be a Platoon Commander(MOS dependent of course). In my opinion if you are looking for a long term career I would suggest going Navy or Air Force, both will be much less stressful and less physically demanding(again MOS/job dependent).

Rocky C
09-13-13, 03:53 AM
We are not Doctors here but I can tell you this,

ADD with medication is a disqualifier in itself not to mention all the waivers for your injuries you will need.

Sorry to say but right now your changes of enlisting in the Marine Corps are slim to none.

Best of luck to you.

HumblePatriot
09-18-13, 06:42 PM
I will say this first....if being an officer is your ultimate goal DO NOT ENLIST!....enlisting is NOT a stepping stone to becoming an officer or a better one. Enlisting will just set you back at least 4 years and may turn you off from trying to commission.

If your OSO already told you that you don't qualify, especially after you've been bugging him, then I am sorry to say you probably don't have a chance. I have been through the PLC/OCS process a few times now and I can say that OSOs wants you to be persistent because it shows motivation and it is something that you really want.

Going to a different branch really depends on what you want to do, do you want to lead a platoon?....if this is the case I would suggest going Army that way you can be in a similar branch to the Corps and you'll be a Platoon Commander(MOS dependent of course). In my opinion if you are looking for a long term career I would suggest going Navy or Air Force, both will be much less stressful and less physically demanding(again MOS/job dependent).

Enlisting would be a fall back option if becoming an officer is impossible.

i haven't started bugging him just yet.

And as far as an MOS is concerned, I was leaning towards either intelligence, some sort of armored division (primarily AAVs), or logistics.

Since the marines is in the naval branch, my OSO said it would be highly unlikely the navy would accept me since they tend to have the same standards. And truthfully, I could care less about how physically demanding or stressful things are. If I wanted something easy I would join the civil air patrol or something instead of trying to get into the most physically demanding branch, the USMC.