PDA

View Full Version : Me and a few questions

Andre Ferrier
09-12-13, 09:38 PM
I'm new to this website my name is Andre Ferrier and I reside in Houston, Texas. I'm a 16 year old junior in high school and yesterday while in my law enforcment class I made the decision that I wanted to become a Marine.

I've always wanted to serve but I wasn't sure which branch. My dad is former Air Force, so that was always an option but the Marines is where I want to go. My parents don't really want me to be in combat situations however.

Been tossing it back and forth the idea of becomine a Marine Police Officer. I've done research and so far I've seen a million different descriptions of being a Marine police officer. I'm hoping to get some type of clarity on it from here.

If this topic has already been covered I apologize, I couldn't find it. Just some questions I guess. I plan on going to college first before I enlist, partly to appease my parents. Will this get me a desk job? I don't mind doing it, but I would like to be in the field as well.

What could a day as a Marine Police Officer hold I guess is the question. Do I go through boot camp or is there another camp specifically for this field?

When I enlist can I enlist as a Marine police or do I have to become a Marine first and apply later? Just a few questions sorry, once again if these have been answered in an older post. Thanks for any feedback. God Bless

irpat54
09-12-13, 09:48 PM
1st) every Marine, no mater the field goes through the same Basic training, unless you are in Officer school then there basic is different, 2nd) all Marines no mater the field are a basic rifleman, 3rd) since things have changed a lot since i was in, so you should probable seek out a recruiter and ask him or her as to if you can get a law enforcement MOS,, when my Daughter went in she wanted MP but at that time they were doing away with them, but now they have a law enforcement Bat. so check with your Recruiter on that..

good luck and keep us posted

Andre Ferrier
09-12-13, 09:54 PM
Also if I go to college first will that automatically put me in OCS or do I have an option to go or not?

irpat54
09-12-13, 09:58 PM
Also if i go to college first will thatautomatically put me in OCS or do i have an option to go or not?

no it will not automatically put into OCS a lot depends on your scores,, and also no mater where you are placed, after about 18 months in your MOS you can ask for a lateral move to another MOS, but even then you go where you are most qualified and or needed..

ameriken
09-12-13, 10:40 PM
Also if i go to college first will thatautomatically put me in OCS or do i have an option to go or not?

College is a requirement but it is not automatic, you have to meet with an Officer Selection Officer (OSO) and you have to qualify and jump through all the hoops just like you would if enlisting. I believe your ASVAB's have to be high as well. If you decide to go the officer route, meet with an OSO before meeting with a regular recruiter.

Gemoore2
09-12-13, 11:33 PM
I was Military Police in the Marine Corps, and currently working law enforcement in the civilian world..

If you sign a contract to become a 5811, basic Military Police, then you have absolutely no control over what exactly you'll be doing. Depending on what unit you are sent to, you can either be what they call a "field MP" in which your job will be fairly similar to that of being a light infantry force. Another type of unit you may be sent to is called a "Provost Marshall Office" which you will be conducting law enforcement operations, similar to your local police department. There are mounds of other options and jobs available to the Military Police field. Such as: K9 handler, accident investigator, criminal investigator, SRT (S.W.A.T.) Within the field side, you will either become a machine gun operator or a driver/rifleman, all other positions are leadership/logistical positions. These jobs listed above are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the MOS roadmap for Military Police.

Next question.. Every Marine goes through the same boot camp. However, upon the completion of MCT (Marine Combat Training, you'll attend this right after boot camp) you'll be sent to Military Police school, as any MOS, it has its own special school to acquire the MOS.

You will sign a contract with your desired MOS (in your case Military Police) prior to shipping off to boot camp. You will have to earn the title first prior to stepping foot into Military Police school (as I stated above) however, there is no "applying later" as you were asking. You applied when you stepped foot into your recruiter's office.

Now I saved this question for last:
"What is everyday like as Military Police?" Wow, I cannot answer that.. Out of one enlistment in the Marine Corps, I found myself doing all kinds of stuff. I spent A LOT of time on a .50 CAL heavy machinegun. I also spent a lot of time policing the camps in Okinawa, Japan. I also have been to nine different countries. The MP field is very big with a lot of stuff to do. It is not as simple as just being a cop.

If you want to avoid combat, I would NOT recommend signing a Military Police contract what-so-ever. However, I would also advise you not to join the Marine Corps period...

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I am always around and will answer any question as I get around to it.

Rocky C
09-13-13, 04:51 AM
Great answers Marines for the young man.

Great honest questions also.

Nothing to add except best of luck to you.

djj34
09-15-13, 08:06 PM
If you are interested in becoming an officer and contacting the OSO mentioned earlier, head to http://www.marines.com/officer and take a look around to see if it's something you'd like to go for. However, you can only apply after you have completed one full semester of college. Once you get to school you can work out with them all you want before, though.

Good luck.