PDA

View Full Version : Almost Reaching My Dream to be a Marine

JulianA
08-21-13, 10:49 AM
Hello Marines, Poolees, friends, and everyone viewing this post. My name is Julian. I'd like to tell you a bit about my physical abilities, history, and also the situation I am in. I am a eighteen year old male whom just recently graduated from high school. I can outrun any poolee in my area, do over thirty marine corp Marine Corps pullups, and over 100 situps within two minutes including the fact that I run everyday 10 miles at least in one hundred and ten degree weather. Ontop of that I weight lift, do lower/upper body strengthening everyday religiously with a former Marine whom is my mentor. I've just went to MEPS yesterday and passed everything with flying colors but there's a problem. Last May in 2012 (my junior year), during spring ball in football I fractured my right fibula (the non-weight bearing bone) with a slight fracture. I had to get surgery with a plate and seven screws inside. It has healed to the point that I don't even feel or recongize it whatsoever. It actually is stronger than my other leg and performs better. It has no movement or strength restrictions. After the fracture and surgery that I had that same month in May 2012 I had surgery. I went to physical therapy at the best clinic that my city had to offer as well get countless of x-rays and paperwork of approval for military training/any sport. I played varsity football my senior year with no problems as the starting fullback for my team which went to playoffs. My freshman and sophmore year I was in AFJROTC already granting me E-2, including college credits I've obtained in AP-Dual credit courses while in high school. Let's get to the chase. I went to MEPS yesterday as stated earlier. Everything went well and then the doctors failed me since I had hardware inside me. They sent me over to a Army base that same day to get x-rays. The x-rays came back good and then also got a "wet report" which stats the condition which was good but still needed a waiver. The medical staff at MEPS told me this is nothing and I should have nothing to worry about as I'm in the best condition they've seen any applicant come through at the same time stating that it shouldn't take long before I get it back. What are the chances and how long should I be expecting to wait for this medical waiver from command? (My father is a Marine and been wanting to be a Marine my entire life. Just don't want this to break my chances of being a Marine as I can't see myself being in any branch of service! HELP.)

Gemoore2
08-21-13, 08:23 PM
The Marine Corps is part of the Federal Government.. Everything revolves around paperwork and multiple channels. Hopefully the process will be quick, however just keep your head up high and keep your patience.

And good luck to you, stay motivated!

JulianA
08-21-13, 08:54 PM
The Marine Corps is part of the Federal Government.. Everything revolves around paperwork and multiple channels. Hopefully the process will be quick, however just keep your head up high and keep your patience.

And good luck to you, stay motivated!

Indeed sir! I have packets of medical documents backing me up from my orthopedic surgeon which is the personal doctor for the san antonio spurs which I hope gives me a little more of a edge to get a waiver. Also including a squeaky clean record with absolute no criminal records, no tattoos/body infringements, ace student, and top physical dog. Just will be a total heart break and shame if I am to be denied and try to get into another branch of service. I will stay definitely stay motivated! Thank you for replying to my post, appreciate it!

Tennessee Top
08-21-13, 11:33 PM
What are you worried about? The medical staff at MEPS says it's nothing.

JulianA
08-21-13, 11:46 PM
What are you worried about? The medical staff at MEPS says it's nothing.

They did indeed, sir. It's just that while I was being finally processed within MEPS, the final doctor whom was finishing up my paperwork told me that the Marine Corps are very picky on whom they accept into their ranks and that it is rare for a applicant to be given a waiver to join for lower-body hardware. Even though the hardware in my lower-right fibula has no whatsoever issues, no restrictions, stronger then my left, everything is intacted/fracture healed fully according to the x-rays and "wet report" status of my hardware which was given to MEPS to send to command for a waiver approval. Worried about my dream being crushed but staying positive by focusing on memorizing general orders, policies, etc. for boot camp while I wait for my waiver status.

Gemoore2
08-22-13, 03:12 AM
Well, all you can do is hurry up and wait..

If you are concerned that your waiver will not be approved, it is not the end of the world if you are not eligible to join the Corps. In the mean-time create a backup plan for yourself. Truthfully, Marine recruiters are about as honest as it gets as far as military recruiter community is concerned. Seek his/her advice and guidance and follow it, I am about 99% sure that he/she will not guide into the wrong direction.

Tennessee Top
08-22-13, 06:31 AM
Be sure to come back and update your post once you get an answer. Someone else may have the same issue in the future and we'll have a better idea of what to tell them. All you can do at this point is keep your fingers crossed.

JulianA
08-22-13, 09:19 AM
Yes sir. My recruiter stated as well feedback from a lot of former medical officers in the navy and army said that they've seen many cases with applicants with retained hardware in the fibula getting their waivers approved, and a few cases of them not getting approved. They also proclaimed (including my recruiter) with normal radiographs and a good orthopedic evaluation I should be good to go! Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. Don't want to settle anything but to be a Marine at this time.

Rocky C
08-22-13, 10:05 AM
Outstanding.

Best of luck and keep us posted please.

JulianA
08-22-13, 10:16 AM
Outstanding.

Best of luck and keep us posted please.

Thank you sir! Will do!

JulianA
08-22-13, 05:21 PM
Curious in asking, has any active duty Marine or former Marine by any chance have known of anyone getting a waiver apporoval for active duty from command for a fibula fracture and hardware inside with screws?

Tennessee Top
08-22-13, 05:35 PM
Never. Always heard/saw hardware is an automatic denial. With the rigors of USMC training, nobody can garauantee a screw or plate will never loosen up or move and need to be tightened/realligned/readjusted and how the body would heal from that follow-up surgery. Eventhough everything is good-to-go right now, the USMC is reluctant to gamble on the future when they have sufficient numbers of applicants with no previous surgeries/existing hardware.

JulianA
08-22-13, 09:12 PM
Never. Always heard/saw hardware is an automatic denial. With the rigors of USMC training, nobody can garauantee a screw or plate will never loosen up or move and need to be tightened/realligned/readjusted and how the body would heal from that follow-up surgery. Eventhough everything is good-to-go right now, the USMC is reluctant to gamble on the future when they have sufficient numbers of applicants with no previous surgeries/existing hardware.

So do you believe I won't get that waiver sir? Also I mean, thing is, there is this person whom my recruiter recruited from my area and played high school football. He blew out his knee completely and had to have reconstruction surgery on his knee in order for it to function again (which is probably the worst you can do according to my recruiter for eligibility). He had to wait a year before sending up a waiver to be approved and it was approved. He is now in basic training in MCRD, San Diego. My surgery has been over a year and ready to go? Just don't understand how he is able to go in but I'm on the verge of being told that there is no one whom has been accepted with hardware? Kind'a confused sir.

Lisa 23
08-22-13, 09:17 PM
Young man, you're looking for answers that the Marines here cannot give you. The Marines here have no idea on how long it can take if your waiver will be approved or not.

JulianA
08-22-13, 09:19 PM
Young man, you can ask all you want......the Marines here have no idea on how long it can take if your waiver will be approved or not.

Yes Ma'am. Your totally correct. Apologies. Just don't want to have to go to my second-option which is another branch of service. Would be devastating to me to be honest.

ameriken
08-22-13, 10:06 PM
They did indeed, sir. It's just that while I was being finally processed within MEPS, the final doctor whom was finishing up my paperwork told me that the Marine Corps are very picky on whom they accept into their ranks and that it is rare for a applicant to be given a waiver to join for lower-body hardware.

My recruiter stated as well feedback from a lot of former medical officers in the navy and army said that they've seen many cases with applicants with retained hardware in the fibula getting their waivers approved, and afew cases of them not getting approved.

The MEPS doc may hold the most current and accurate opinion on the appetite of the Corps for new recruits with medical issues. With all the talk about downsizing, the Corps is probably extremely picky right now and will take the most fit applicant with the highest scores and no medical issues.

The former medical officers, depending on when they were handling recruits, may be basing their opinion on the former war years when the demand was high and waivers may have been given out a bit more freely. The demand a few years ago and the demand today are likely at completely opposite poles, thus your hardware may have been more acceptable then, and less acceptable now.

Not trying to douse your hopes, but rather, as the expression goes 'hope for the best, prepare for the worst'.

Keep us up to date and let us know how things turn out. Good luck!

JulianA
08-22-13, 11:40 PM
The MEPS doc may hold the most current and accurate opinion on the appetite of the Corps for new recruits with medical issues. With all the talk about downsizing, the Corps is probably extremely picky right now and will take the most fit applicant with the highest scores and no medical issues.

The former medical officers, depending on when they were handling recruits, may be basing their opinion on the former war years when the demand was high and waivers may have been given out a bit more freely. The demand a few years ago and the demand today are likely at completely opposite poles, thus your hardware may have been more acceptable then, and less acceptable now.

Not trying to douse your hopes, but rather, as the expression goes 'hope for the best, prepare for the worst'.

Keep us up to date and let us know how things turn out. Good luck!

Thank you. Just can't keep the final decision of my waiver being accepted or denied off my mind on a day-by-day basis. Trying to be patient and will defiantly update this post with what happens. It just strikes me that a guy that was recruited from my same recruiter a couple of months ago whom had totally blown out their knee, had reconstruction surgery on that same knee to make it functional again, and be allowed to train to be a Marine and I'm here just pending at their mercy.

Tennessee Top
08-23-13, 06:19 AM
You're young still and will learn many lessons. One of the hardest is life is never fair and rarely works out the way you want it to. Sometimes all the hoping and praying in the world is still just not good enough. Only a few can be a Marine. We often see wannabes here who's lifelong dream has always been to earn the title but for whatever reason will never be given the opportunity. Somehow, they find the strength to move on with their lives and so will you.

Waivers are all a case-by-case basis. You cannot judge your situation based on what happened to someone else. You never know all the particulars of that other case regardless of what you may have heard.

Lisa 23
08-23-13, 07:16 AM
Waivers are all a case-by-case basis. You cannot judge your situation based on what happened to someone else. You never know all the particulars of that other case regardless of what you may have heard.

Exactly! :thumbup:

It's a wait and see thing now. Keep us posted and let us know in a few weeks or months when you hear something.

JulianA
08-23-13, 10:14 AM
Will do.

doc h fmf
08-23-13, 12:07 PM
Julian I was a Corpsman for 11 1/2 years and did 7 years with the Marines and sorry but I can vouch for TOP that you will not be able to join do to your injury, Sorry but good luck in your endeveors .

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

JulianA
08-23-13, 04:40 PM
Julian I was a Corpsman for 11 1/2 years and did 7 years with the Marines and sorry but I can vouch for TOP that you will not be able to join do to your injury, Sorry but good luck in your endeveors .

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

Why's that sir? I was told my medical staff at MEPS that if I have a favorable orthopedic consult (mine is from the personal doctor of the san antonio spurs) and your x-rays are otherwise normal, waivers are generally granted? Did they lie?

irpat54
08-23-13, 05:17 PM
Why's that sir? I was told my medical staff at MEPS that if I have a favorable orthopedic consult (mine is from the personal doctor of the san antonio spurs) and your x-rays are otherwise normal, waivers are generally granted? Did they lie?
although the Corps is very picky, if your scores are high in a particular section that they need they will probably take you,, now a days it has a lot to do with need,, that is the big thing,, my Daughter went for one lat move when she re-uped, and even though she qualified she was also high in scores in another field they needed so that is where She is now
so who really knows,, like Ken Said the MEPS docs know best and where ever the need is that is your best hope.. Good luck

JulianA
08-23-13, 06:05 PM
I have high scores in my MM and EL sections of my asvab. MM was at 108 and EL at 112. If I am given the chance to serve I will be shooting for a 0261!

JulianA
03-06-14, 11:40 PM
It is March yet I look back a this and just smiled, as God was with me on this. Proved countless of people wrong that I will have the opportunity to be a United States Marine. Had my BUMED lower fracture waiver accepted in December, enlisted January 8th 2014, and leave to boot camp May 15th 2014. Stronger, faster, and know now that nothing can stand in your way if you have faith, patience, and the will to never give up.

m14ed
03-07-14, 02:21 AM
Congrats youngster, Keep us informed how the journey
goes in the future please.

irpat54
03-07-14, 06:06 AM
Good luck to you, keep us posted,,

JulianA
08-24-14, 09:15 AM
It's been quite a journey and yet this post still remains alive. I want to thank all those whom supported me as I am now a United States Marine.

USMC 2571
08-24-14, 09:21 AM
Congratulations!!!!!!

Baker1971
08-24-14, 09:37 AM
Congrats Marine !!!

Contact the Forum Administrator to have your status changed to Marine.

Oh, wait a minute, we don't have one anymore. Rocky C is gone. Try contacting the owner Shaffer by PM or on Facebook.

m14ed
08-25-14, 02:33 AM
Congratulations on earning the title of
MARINE...
"Let the -education- begin"

Tennessee Top
08-26-14, 08:45 PM
Congratulations! Did you get the MOS you were shooting for too?