PDA

View Full Version : Hurt knee 1 month before shipdate

rayy166
08-11-13, 11:54 AM
Good afternoon Marines,

about 2 weeks ago i hurt something around my knee during a 3mile run, the first 2 miles were no problem but after that, the lateral side of my knee just started to give me problem as far as every time i would push of the ground i would feel pain, after a few more minutes i just had to run with a locked out leg because every little movement would give me problems.

After that i figured it was a muscle strain or something, because when i stretched, the pain wasnt as bad, so I went to a massage therapist and she worked on my leg, the pain was gone, at least i thought, on my next run..not even after half a mile it was hurting again...i have been seeing a chiropractor 3 times now..i just dont know what to do.... its so frustrating.

My Head tells me to not worry about it and just goahead and shipout....But i do know i need to push my shipdate back, i just dont want to have it true, i have worked so hard to get to the point where i am at right now, i just want to be a Marine.

I guess what im asking here is what would you guys Marines (the Marines here have EARNED the title.....how about addressing the Marines who are going to answer your questions as Marines, not guys) do? Go get an MRI done? get completely healed before i shipout? I really dont know. where to go from this point.

irpat54
08-11-13, 03:55 PM
definitely get a Doc. Opinion and see what you need to do,, if you ship and are gimpy you could be dropped or sent packing,, talk to your recruiter and tell him or her everything they will give you the best advise,, i had the same problem but mine developed after i was in 3rd phase,, i did not want to be dropped so for a while i just ran and favored my knee,, my Platoon Cmdr (we called him at the time, now called Sr. DI) saw me favoring it and pulled me out of the run and said that i would not be dropped (probably because i was high shooter with rifle and other things) sent me to sick bay and they put me on light duty for a few days and did some other things and i got better and ran my final PFT (15.3) and was in the final insp and final drill so you had better get it check out and talk to your recruiter if you are3 hurt and ship it will just go badly for you

Tennessee Top
08-11-13, 08:06 PM
Agree with irpat54. Wishing, hoping, massage therapists, and chiropractors are not going to fix your knee (as you've discovered). You need to be 100% healthy when you ship - anything less than that...

rayy166
08-12-13, 12:26 AM
Thank you for the responses, I have talked to my Recruiter, and as much as it hurts, you are right, I need to get it fixed and make sure I'm good to go so I can become the Marine I want to be. Thank all of you for serving. I will keep everybody posted.