PDA

View Full Version : Reserve to active duty after a year?

Stovy4x4ing
08-06-13, 01:14 PM
How hard is it to go from Reserve to active duty once you hit the one year mark after being in the Marines Reserve unit?

I was told today by recruiter because of my age of 28 years and Feb coming for birthday that is my only option.

So my questions is Marines how hard is it to go from Reserve's to active duty after a year?

josephd
08-06-13, 08:03 PM
Extremely hard, almost impossible. I have been through the process.

Marine Reserves and active duty are completely separate. It involves getting released from your current contract and then getting re-contracted within a small window of time. Even if you get out of the current reserve contract the active duty side still has to take you/accept you, which isn't likely with the Corps down sizing.

I could get into many more details of the process but I am not going to because it doesn't matter to you at this time. All you need to know is that it won't happen and don't let your recruiter tell you that it's an option.

Gemoore2
08-06-13, 08:15 PM
Either chose Active or Reserve. The Marine Corps is not a pair of shoes, you cannot change your mind whenever you feel like it.
-Nuff said!

Stovy4x4ing
08-11-13, 11:05 PM
I would choose active for the Marines,However, because of my age and that they are booked up until after Feb I can not do active Marines. Which why I am asking how hard or what is the possibility from reserve to active.

josephd
08-12-13, 01:11 AM
I would choose active for the Marines,However, because of my age and that they are booked up until after Feb I can not do active Marines. Which why I am asking how hard or what is the possibility from reserve to active.

Like I already said the possibility is VERY SLIM to NONE.

devilbones2
08-12-13, 07:06 AM
Once you are a Marine and have been in your unit for a while, you might be able to volunteer for an active reserve position. What is your MOS going to be?

Stovy4x4ing
08-12-13, 03:16 PM
I have not been up to meps yet. I still have to pass the IST and get 3 pulls and do the sit up thing.

MunkyVsRobot
09-03-13, 10:35 AM
Extremely hard, almost impossible. I have been through the process.

Marine Reserves and active duty are completely separate. It involves getting released from your current contract and then getting re-contracted within a small window of time. Even if you get out of the current reserve contract the active duty side still has to take you/accept you, which isn't likely with the Corps down sizing.

I could get into many more details of the process but I am not going to because it doesn't matter to you at this time. All you need to know is that it won't happen and don't let your recruiter tell you that it's an option.

Surprisingly not as difficult as one would think, i would have been in total agreement with you if I hadn't seen it happen to someone I went to MOS school with. He actually picked up CPL just before he went AD too.

So what it appears as if needs to happen is you need to have decent numbers IE PFT CFT height weight, they have to want you as AD and I believe your MOS needs to have to have AD slots around you.

I dont know all the details I do know it happens.

josephd
09-03-13, 08:01 PM
Surprisingly not as difficult as one would think, i would have been in total agreement with you if I hadn't seen it happen to someone I went to MOS school with. He actually picked up CPL just before he went AD too.

So what it appears as if needs to happen is you need to have decent numbers IE PFT CFT height weight, they have to want you as AD and I believe your MOS needs to have to have AD slots around you.

I dont know all the details I do know it happens.

I can guarantee he was on active duty orders or on active reserve orders NOT in actual active duty. going to the actual active duty side/the fleet requires a whole new contract which irequires alot of paperwork, time, and persistence.

MunkyVsRobot
09-04-13, 06:26 PM
Not sure Id have to ask him, he may have signed another contract. because our MOS school is 7 months long he had been on active duty for almost 2 years before he checked into his reserve unit. But as I said before id have to check, the way it sounded when i spoke to him last he is no longer at his reserve unit and now AD, could be wrong it has happened before.