PDA

View Full Version : Reserve to Active before boot camp

Afenska
07-26-13, 05:05 PM
Hi Marines,

I feel as though i've been blowing up the forums but i find this site really helpful. My question is i enlisted for Reserve, when wanting Active but i figured i would have time to finish some classes before Active. But doing research there is very little if not none tuition for reserves. When I go to MEPS to switch would i have to just swear in again or do i have to do the whole physical over again?

Thanks,

Alex

josephd
07-26-13, 07:56 PM
no you shouldn't, the physical and swear in ceremony are all the same.

just be sure you get active duty if that's what you want, once you're in the reserves there is no "switching" to active duty no matter what your recruiter says. Trust me I've been through the process, it sucks.

Afenska
07-27-13, 02:14 AM
I know Marine i hear time and time again about the struggle to switching to active, thanks for the feedback!

-Alex

Gemoore2
07-27-13, 02:31 AM
There is a lot of education opportunities for reserve personnel, especially among state legislation, more so than federal/D.oD. You should look into all your options before you commit. All of my co-workers are veterans, some of them are/were reservist and have obtained B.A. degrees through the reserves.

You will not have to go through the whole process you have already been through, as far as medical and physical aspects of the selection process. It is just a matter of rewriting your contract, if you chose to alter it.

Afenska
07-27-13, 01:42 PM
Theres education benefits, but nothing compared to active duty from what i've read Marine. I realize because of my MOS and going active it will take a while to attain a bachelors but i plan on making this a career. Decided this a while ago and i feel it wouldn't be the experience i'm looking for if i went reserve. Thanks for the heads up and feedback Marine!

-Alex

usmcrro
08-03-13, 03:54 PM
In the reserves, there are some active duty tours you can do.

Assuming you have not done any active duty as a drilling reservist, you completed Initial Active Duty Training, you're in 'good standing' with your unit and you enlisted for 6 yrs, then you would rate the selected reserve GI Bill. You can use it as a reservist.

If you are on active duty orders for at least 90 days total, you will rate the Post 911 GI Bill (note you have to have 3 yrs of active duty service to rate 100% on the Post 911). Inactive duty training and and annual training don't count for reservists who are not already on active duty orders.

I don't know when Tuition Assistance will be reinstated. Last time, they weren't taking new Marines.

Tennessee Top
08-03-13, 09:24 PM
Nice that you plan on making a career of the USMC. Unrealistic however since you have not spent one day on the job. Has it occured to you that you may just not like it? You do realize most Marines never reenlist (for a variety of reasons)? Let's say at the end of your first enlistment you do like being a Marine and decide you'd like to reenlist. Does that mean they'll always let you...negative. Even if you're an expert shooter, 1st class PFT, and have outstanding performance evaluations...negative again. Retention is a numbers game which boils down to how many boatspaces (slots) are available in your MOS at reenlistment time. Reenlistment is never gauranteed and I saw way too many fine enlisted Marines (some with young families) with career aspirations turned down. Because of sequestration (force reduction) reenlistment/military careers will continue to become even more difficult. Suggest you have a plan B (involving a civilian career).

Afenska
08-05-13, 05:55 PM
I understand Marine, I've yet to step a foot in those doors and although I may think I know enough to making a decision long term, but mentally I'm fully prepared for this. Yes there is a plan b incase things don't work in my favor because I know nothing is guaranteed in this life even if you feel you've earned it. But I choose to aim high and see where it takes me. Thanks for the advice Marine, much appreciated.