PDA

View Full Version : Enlisted Reservist to NROTC to Reserve Officer

asm5249
06-25-13, 01:35 PM
Good afternoon,

I would like advice on whether I should enter the USMC-SR now or in the future based on my current conditions and future goals.

Conditions:

22 in November
6'1" 245lbs, <18% Body Fat
Accepted into a college with an NROTC program
Not yet accepted to NROTC program
Performed poorly in college from ages 17-19
Goals:

Earn a college degree
Commission upon graduation (undecided Active or Reserve)
Motivation to complete school

As stated, I did not perform well in school. I accredit this to immaturity, a lack of discipline, and failure to develop time management skills. I now have the opportunity to try again and fear that I still lack the discipline and motivation to achieve my goals.

I am in constant contact with a recruiter who has outlined the following plan:
Enlist: FY2014
Recruit Training: Dec '13 / Jan '14 - Mar '14 / Apr '14
SOI: Apr '14 / May '14 - Jun '14 / Jul '14
School: Aug '14
Reserve Commitment*: Dec '13 - Dec '21
Commission Active Duty / Active Reserve: OCS/TBS/Other: May '18
Commission Commitment: May '18 - retirement
Given these conditions, I am pleading advice from those with similar experience or insight into enlisted-to-officer programs on whether the USMC-SR would forsake my six-year enlistment (4.5 years would be complete) for an extended commitment [of 5 years] as a commissioned active-duty or reserve officer. Any additional insights are greatly appreciated.

R.S./
A.M.

josephd
06-26-13, 01:50 AM
If you plan on commissioning and have everything in order to accomplish this there is no purpose in enlisting. Stick to just going to school, getting good grades, staying in shape, and staying out of trouble.

As I have said numerous times on here before....enlisting is NOT a stepping stone to becoming an officer.