PDA

View Full Version : Enlisting into the Reserves to obtain a college degree vs Active Duty

SamLee18
06-09-13, 09:56 PM
Dear Marines, <br />
<br />
During the fall of 2012 I fell ill to a disease that caused me to be hospitalized and finally discharged from the hospital in the middle of December. All my life I have aspired to...

Rocky C
06-10-13, 03:23 PM
These questions are all unknowns.

Seek the advice of a Marine Corps Recruiter.

Best of luck to you...

josephd
06-10-13, 09:53 PM
All I will say is this....

Enlisting in the reserves or active duty IS NOT a stepping stone to becoming an officer. If commissioning as an office is your ultimate goal, then get into and/or stay in college, stay in shape, and stay out of trouble and get into the PLC program. The reserves takes up more time than you think and while it is possible to do both and get where you want the likely hood of you doing so and being able to handle it is very low.

I have been through PLC before the reserves, and now I am in the reserves and going to college full time. Take it from my experience that it is not the best avenue of approach to your goal.

MLMonk
06-11-13, 02:13 PM
The fastest way to become an officer, is to go in as one. Joining the reserves in hopes of you having a better chance of getting selected is not worth the time. Being a 'prior' does not make you become a better officer. In fact, it was my demise during OCS.

The reserves is designed to allow people who have a full time civilian life and wish to serve our country as well. It is not meant to be used to become an officer.

Go work on your degree, maintain a 3.0GPA+, keep a 280+ PFT (100 crunches, 20PU's, 21min or less 3mi run) and try for the PLC program...as of..now. If you are a freshman or sophomore, start contacting your local OSO and get your package started. Work on upperbody, hill climbing runs, and carrying 15lb's while running in boots. That is what OCS is focusing on now.