PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a recruiter. Need some answers.

Jpc3190
06-04-13, 09:04 PM
Hi my name is Justin. I live in New York and have been training with plans to enlist in the Marine Corps Reserves preferably by the end of the summer. I have a dillemma, which needs to be addressed. Hopefully a recruiter here can contact me with any advice. My uncle is a Marine and have cousins who are Marines. All went to MCRD San Diego and I hope to follow in their footsteps. I want to go infantry as they did and want to train where they trained. I know MCRD PI makes Marines just as San Diego does, but I want to do follow the tradition and train In San Diego. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank You

Jpc3190
06-05-13, 12:18 AM
Actually any feedback from any Marines would help.

chulaivet1966
06-05-13, 09:35 AM
Actually any feedback from any Marines would help.

OK....I'll bump you.
I'm still on my first cup of mud and I'll be brief.

IMO....
When you state 'I have a dilemma which needs to be addressed' it seems to me your are making this desire a determining factor in your decision to join.

I would say if you really want to earn the EGA this preferential location should not have anything to do with your actual decision.

Maybe a recruiter will chime in with more info.

Good luck in your quest.

Carry on....

Lisa 23
06-05-13, 12:05 PM
There used to be a few recruiters who would drop by every now and then, but they haven't been here in quite a while, and no...I don't remember what their user names are.
Your best bet is to talk with a recruiter. He/she will be able to give you the most up-to-date and accurate info on this.

Rocky C
06-05-13, 04:01 PM
Justin, This is a No Brainer.

You move West of the Mississippi River, establish a residence/apartment, get a drivers license in your new town/city, visit your local Marine Corps Recruiting Station, Enlist and you will go to MCRD San Diego.

Best of luck to you.

Jpc3190
06-05-13, 09:04 PM
It's a tradition thing. If all else fails I might cave in and accept MCRD Parris Island, but if there is an oppurtunity that I can train where my family members did and I can carry on that tradition, I want to do so. And to Rocky C's comment, if I had the resources and time to do so, I would. To Lisa23, if there user names come to mind I would greatly appreciate it. I am going to speak with a recruiter very soon I was just looking for some quick answers before I take the plunge. Thanks Marines, for the feedback and any other comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Lisa 23
06-05-13, 09:24 PM
The tradition that should matter the most is that no matter where you go to boot camp/recruit training.....MCRDPI or MCRDSD, you will still carry on the traditon of EARNING the title....United States Marine.

Jpc3190
06-05-13, 10:24 PM
I hear you Lisa 23. And I definitely want to earn the title above all. It would be nice, however to be a Hollywood Marine like the ones before me. Either way it would be an honor to receive the EGA.

Tennessee Top
06-06-13, 03:54 AM
When I enlisted, the general rule was east of the Mississippi goes to PI, west of the Mississippi to SD, and those in the midwest got their choice (I was from Ohio and am a Hollywood Marine). Because of the expense involved, it would cost the Government three times as much to fly you to CA vice SC. You can check with your recruiter in NY but hope you don't mind sand fleas, swamps, and gators.

Let us know what they say for future reference.

Jpc3190
06-07-13, 03:24 AM
I will check with the recruiter and update this thread with their feedback for future reference. Either swamps and sand fleas or hills and palm trees, I do want to earn the title of United States Marine. Thanks for the feedback Tennessee Top.

m14ed
06-07-13, 03:31 AM
Everyone here has stated the truth..
You've got the problem, wishing- and wanting....

Do yourself the favor.
Take the ParrisIsland TOUR...
you'll be a "Real Marine"....
NOT a "Hollywood Knock-off"

Be the ENVY of your "MarineFriends"
you can wear the TAG..
U.S. Marine- Made on ParrisIsland-
NO FinerProduct made ANYWHERE..

only fear stops you...

Jealous | What is the Definition of Jealous? (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/jealous)

There is the possibility ( I think ) IF you have
a FamilyHistory, of training on SanDiego, or
ParrisIsland, to go also...
But ask your recruiter.
and good luck with your choice

Jpc3190
06-08-13, 03:14 AM
Thanks for the heads up Marine.

mccmuffin
06-12-13, 08:24 AM
OOHRAH ed PI is the place to be and leave off that reserve stuff if you gonna go go all the way.I f your family is on the eastern sea board they will want to see you graduate dont make em pay double to go to San Diego let em see where real Marines are made in PISC for about half price.Being a Marine is the tradition not where you earn the title