PDA

View Full Version : Preparing to serve

patriotathlete
04-01-13, 06:06 AM
I am currently a full time college student majoring in Architecture with a firm plan to become a Marine. I'm told it takes six years to receive a bachelors degree in Architecture but I also intend to study for a law degree. I have a few questions about preparing to enlist and am grateful for any advice you may offer.
1) I am a very physically fit 19 year old female with limited ground combat training. Other than the exercises in the IST, PFT, and CFT, are there any additional physical strengths I should develop that first hand experience as a U.S. Marine has taught you?
2) I have three tattoos: a lion with a barbell inside it on my left deltoid, plain script on my left calf, and a nautical star with flames on my lower back. I read the information about having tattoos prior to becoming a Marine but do you think it's worth it to have them removed?
3) The regulations for female haircuts included "maintaining a feminine appearance". Since my hair is cut close on the sides like a mohawk how would you advise I grow it to be functional when wearing headgear, clean cut, feminine, but still wear it short? The last thing i want to be concerned about in bootcamp is if my hair is meeting standards.
4) Does anyone here have experience as a Marine attorney or have any thoughts about studying law through the Marine Corps rather than before enlisting?
I'm eager for any wisdom you can offer; thank you Marines for your dedication and sacrifice!

josephd
04-01-13, 02:30 PM
1. No

2. No

3. I don't know

4. In order to practice law in the Marine Corps as a JAG officer you have to have a 4 yr college degree, go to OCS, commission as a 2nd Lt., and then be accepted to an accredited law school. You'll earn time in service and time in grade the whole time you are at law school which the Corps pays for. Upon graduating law school you'll go to the fleet forces and start your service as a JAG officer. Enlisting will not get you anywhere.

Rocky C
04-01-13, 05:14 PM
1. You are already in College so I would stay there and get your degree.
2. No more tattoos young lady.
3. Stay out of trouble.

The United States Marine Corps is not going anywhere.
When you have completed your courses of study, then make your decision.

Best of luck to you.

djj34
04-01-13, 05:45 PM
Concerning law school, I'm pretty sure that they *don't* pay for law school. I can ask a JAG friend, to be certain. They had a College Loan Repayment Program but I think that went away too.

Regarding getting law school paid for, I got this reply from a JAG Captain:

" There are a very limited set of instances in which they will. Unless she is prior-enlisted, it aint happening ".

" They will pay off your student loans if you give them ten years of service, but she is not getting them to pay up front " .

I echo all the above. Avoid getting more ink until you're in, and wrap up school while you still can.

josephd
04-01-13, 07:49 PM
Concerning law school, I'm pretty sure that they *don't* pay for law school. I can ask a JAG friend, to be certain. They had a College Loan Repayment Program but I think that went away too.

Regarding getting law school paid for, I got this reply from a JAG Captain:

" There are a very limited set of instances in which they will. Unless she is prior-enlisted, it aint happening ".

" They will pay off your student loans if you give them ten years of service, but she is not getting them to pay up front " .

I echo all the above. Avoid getting more ink until you're in, and wrap up school while you still can.

yes you are correct sir....I know my post says otherwise but I was trying to imply that it would get covered on the back end with tuition reimbursement but didn't think my post to her rated that many details.

djj34
04-01-13, 08:05 PM
It's not a problem Corporal. I just wanted to make sure she didn't get the wrong idea from the beginning. The notion that law school is paid for up front is running rampant, even among lieutenants. Even I had to double check the facts
:thumbup:

Tennessee Top
04-03-13, 12:22 AM
Why don't you stop by the local USMC recruiting office? They can look at your tattoos and tell you if they need to be removed. They can also offer advice about the hair and answer all your other questions.

I'm also confused about your intentions. You want to get degrees in architecture and law but also enlist. You do not specifically mention any desire to be an officer. What's the point of all the education just to be an enlisted Marine? Or, am I missing something? There are no MOS's I know of relating to architecture in the USMC. Why waste all the time, effort, and money on a degree you know you will not use while on active duty (or, are you planning on joining the reserves)?

Also curious; since you are not a USMC poolee, how do you have experience with the IST, PFT, and CFT?

Your post leaves a lot of questions.

patriotathlete
04-22-13, 04:01 AM
Thank you all for the information and advice. I will be sure not to get any more tattoos and school is my priority.

Why don't you stop by the local USMC recruiting office? They can look at your tattoos and tell you if they need to be removed. They can also offer advice about the hair and answer all your other questions.

I'm also confused about your intentions. You want to get degrees in architecture and law but also enlist. You do not specifically mention any desire to be an officer. What's the point of all the education just to be an enlisted Marine? Or, am I missing something? There are no MOS's I know of relating to architecture in the USMC. Why waste all the time, effort, and money on a degree you know you will not use while on active duty (or, are you planning on joining the reserves)?

Also curious; since you are not a USMC poolee, how do you have experience with the IST, PFT, and CFT?

Your post leaves a lot of questions.

Regarding your post I have a talent for architecture so I am pursuing this degree as a prerequisite for law school since I need a bachelors degree in something. I will ask my recruiter specifically about my tattoos before enlisting. I want to enlist as a Marine for the training. I want to be a fully trained, disciplined, ready-at-a-moment's-notice Marine (Marines are not soldiers) when America needs me. Until then I want to defend our troops by making sure the system does not misinterpret their actions, or deny them the justice they deserve both at home and abroad. Architecture is also more than just knowing how to build a structure. Understanding the dynamic among physical materials, time, natural elements, human error, and poor construction can lay the ground work for a variety of skills. As for the IST, PFT, and CFT I do not have firsthand experience. Any information or training I have comes from talking extensively with my recruiter, researching physical requirements/ exercises, and training for Olympic weightlifting/ jiu jitsu. I hope I answered all of your questions.

Thank you for your time Marines!

josephd
04-22-13, 11:52 AM
the tattoos would only need a simple waiver for enlisting. tattoos, especially visible ones, are a whole different ball game if you are seeking a commission as an officer. they are pretty much a disqualification.

Tennessee Top
04-23-13, 09:56 AM
Your situation is unique. The average wannabe we see here is looking to graduate highschool and enlist; some hope to make the USMC a career. Pretty simple and cut-n-dry. Easy to answer their questions and offer advice (based on our experiences).

Don't take this as me trying to discourage you because I'm not (I like ambitious people). But, you are all over the place as far as your educational goals (school is your priority), views on the military, training for the Olympics, and desire to serve in the military. The average person may be capable of pursuing one of those in their lifetime (of course, there is nothing average about making an Olympic team). I would be curious to know what your recruiter is telling you and how they see the USMC fitting into such a plan (personally, I don't see it). My opinion is (if you want to succeed at something), you need to narrow your search down to the one thing you're best at and focus on attaining that goal.

Strange, it sounds as if you have talked to your recruiter often but are just now getting around to showing them your tattoos.

I am interested in learning how all this works out with you. Please keep us updated and good luck to you.