PDA

View Full Version : Got a couple questions if some Marines wouldn't mind answering them

johnj287
03-24-13, 02:46 AM
Hey everyone. First off, thank you for your service. A lot of people take what you do (or did) for granted, but I don't. Here's a little background on me and what brings me here before I get to my questions. I'm 24 years old, and I recently graduated college. Frankly the thought of a normal 9-5 job at a desk makes me want to vomit all over my shoes, and I desperately want to do something challenging and of true importance before I'm suddenly old and realize that I haven't accomplished much. Seems like the Marine Corps is a hell of a way to do those things. Plus I love this great Country we live in, so doing this in service to her is icing on the cake.

I've been doing research for a little bit, and I've decided that I want to go the enlisted route over seeking a commission. I want to get my hands dirty and do some real work, and the Officer route seems more like a career path (money and prestige are not my motivations for joining). Also I had some preliminary discussions with an officer recruiter, and he didn't seem too keen to work with me given my "modest" GPA (3.05 cumulative) and my lack of leadership credentials. I guess he didn't like the fact that I wasn't captain of the football team, and he didn't take my position as the editor of the entertainment section at my school's newspaper very seriously. But like I said, I want to go enlisted so I'm not too worried about it.

So my first question is about some MOS's. I was thinking about joining the Navy before I decided the Marines was the experience I was looking for, and they took me to take the ASVAB. I got a 95, which my recruiter said pretty much qualifies me for every job in the Marine Corps. My other main reason for joining is that I need to learn a skill or a trade that I can use in the civilian world after my four years is up. My degree in Communication Studies would be doing me a lot more good if every newspaper in the Country wasn't shutting down right now, and I want to make sure I leave the Corps with the knowhow to earn a real living that I can raise a family with and not end up working as the prep cook that I am now until I'm 80. What do you think would be the best jobs with real world counterparts? I'm looking to land something in engineering or electronics. Anyone here a former Metal Worker? I'd love to learn a skilled trade. Also I studied to be a journalist, so was anyone here in the public affairs or journalism fields? My only trepidation with pursuing these is the current awful job market that's only getting worse. Any luck finding work after service?

This last question may come off as snobby, but believe me when I say that's not my intent. The one thing I'm primarily worried about is meeting people in the Marines that I can relate to. I consider myself a pretty savvy guy with a lot of varied interests. I'm a total nerd who's into video games and anime, I did a ton of acting in college, and I'm pretty left leaning when it comes to politics. At the same time I'm open to hanging out with just about anyone and I'm always down to try new things, but I'm worried that a guy like me is going to be looked upon like some kind of liberal hippie freak by the other Marines once I get into the field. No offense, but my recruiters are kinda...dumb and like to crap all over my hometown of Portland and the cool people that live here, and it seems like any time I talk about my life experiences or hobbies with them I get a lot of blank stares. I'm hoping they aren't like every Marine I'll run into. So am I unfairly stereotyping or is this a legitimate concern?

Thank you very much for your responses. I'm looking forward to my next great challenge in life, and any information given will be very helpful.

chulaivet1966
03-24-13, 09:43 AM
IMO...some quick thoughts over my coffee until others more qualified will chime in.

You have (4) years of college behind you at 24.
Joining the USMC is going to be quite the change of your life path although many certainly have done it.
My impression is that it seems you're more concerned with being guaranteed an MOS that will absolutely transfer to the civilian world which seems quite lofty to me.
That's fine but I think the USMC will put you where they need you based on your various testing scores and MOS's that need filling at that time.

Given your college time joining the USMC solely to advance your expectations/agenda re-entering the civilian world may not be realistic.
Maybe a recruiter will offer some comments for you.

Your last paragraph....you're worrying too much about inconsequential sh!t.
If you really want to serve to earn the EGA then do it.
In all my subjectivity if you earn the EGA you will not regret it.

I'd think it through very carefully.
That's my take on it....good luck with your decision.

Carry on....

Tennessee Top
03-24-13, 09:18 PM
You mentioned learning a trade, getting your hands dirty, and engineering. With that, I would recommend pursuing MOS 1371 Combat Engineer. Combat engineers build things with heavy equipment and destroy things with demolitions. In combat, they are routinely attached to infantry units on the front lines. Through professional education, training, and experience, they are able to obtain apprenticeship certifications that translate to civilian employment opportunities.

As far as electronics, I believe avionics/aviation electronics would provide the best opportunity for learning a trade and civilian employment. The aviation industry may not be what it once was but there are still tons of planes out there and they all are packed with electronics which must be maintained to FAA specs.

Don't be concerned about being a leftwing nerd; there are more of those in the USMC than you can imagine. As long as you work hard every day and are dedicated to duty nobody can say a thing to you.

You get the blank stares from your recruiters because they are Marines and you are a civilian (different animals). Earn the title, speak the same language, and you will get the respect you seek.

If you ever do make it to bootcamp, you WILL be called "professor" (mandatory name for college grads). But, because of your age, you could also be called "grand dad", "gramps", or "old man".