PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, Decisions

Ken10
03-19-13, 10:20 AM
First, I'm new to this forum so I apologize in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong section or missed a portion of my profile.

I am currently at a crossroad in my life and could use a little advice. I have read, searched, and learned a lot from this forum but would love to get some opinions on my own personal situation.

I am currently almost 21 and considering becoming a Marine. My original plan coming out of high school was to become a Marine and pursue a career in law enforcement afterwards. However, I could not get my parents to sign off on it while I was 17. Before I turned 18, I was offered a great opportunity of employment that I could not pass up. So I figured I'll give the civilian life a try and see how I like it. I'm currently living a good life, making good money for my age and could be potentially making a lot of money if I continue down this course. However, a part of me regrets not following my original plan.

I am very fortunate to be where I am. I'm content with my life and job but don't know if I see myself making a career out of it. Part of the problem is I am becoming too content, life has become too easy. I find myself losing motivation to continue school or even succeed at work.

I've always been interested in serving in the military and believe my experience with the Marines would help me down the road with a law enforcement career.

Big question is should I give up an easy, stable future to to follow my original dream of becoming a Marine? Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for taking time to read this lengthy post and giving your opinions. In the very least this was a great way for me to vent my turmoil.

Rocky C
03-19-13, 10:35 AM
You can click on the links below your thread to get advice on the very same questions you asked.

Best of luck to you.

Ken10
03-19-13, 10:44 AM
Will do, thanks

Rocky C
03-19-13, 10:48 AM
:thumbup:.
If that doesn't help you just say and other Marines will be along to help answer your questions also.

Ken10
03-19-13, 11:07 AM
I've read the posts along with some others. Great advice and stories but I've love to hear more. I know in the end this is my decision but I'll listen to any opinions.

My biggest problem is should I take the easy road where I'd still have a good, successful life or is it worth taking the hard road and have a chance at following my dreams. Low risk, good life vs higher risk, potentially great, fulfilling life. I guess I just don't want to fall victim to the grass is greener syndrome.

josephd
03-19-13, 02:18 PM
My honest opinion and answer to your question....No.

I love the Marine Corps and being a Marine but if I had a great career sitting in front of me I would not join, especially now with downsizing, budget cuts, and drawing down in Afghanistan.

Ken10
03-20-13, 11:00 AM
My honest opinion and answer to your question....No.

I love the Marine Corps and being a Marine but if I had a great career sitting in front of me I would not join, especially now with downsizing, budget cuts, and drawing down in Afghanistan.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm currently leaning towards joining mainly because I don't want to have to look back later on in life and wonder what if. I'm lucky to have a great career but I don't think it's what I want to do for the rest of my life.

I'm going to give this a lot of thought over the next few months to make sure I don't make an impulsive decision.

Tennessee Top
03-22-13, 05:41 AM
You will not find a better job than leading Marines (obviously takes a few years to get to that point IF you ever do). But, I wore the uniform for 22.6 years so am just a little biased.

Am currently in my second career as a medical professional (will be 15 years on April 1st) and it does not hold a candle to my first career as a military professional.