PDA

View Full Version : Persuading Parents

descoladan
03-08-13, 05:44 PM
Before I begin, I would like to thank everyone who is taking the time to read this post.

I am currently 20 years old and a college student. After lots of thought and consideration I have decided that I do indeed want to enlist in the Marine Corps infantry. I know I am an adult and able to make my own decisions, but I really do want my parents backing me up on this life changing decision. My mother is an extreme anti-gun/violence/military in general kind of lady, which is unfortunate. Whereas my father just seems to want to ignore this situation in hopes that it will go away. While enlisted I do plan on continuing my education in hopes of one day becoming an officer.

Does anybody have sound advice on how to approach my parents with this situation delicately and persuade them that this is the best route for me to take?

Thank you in advance.

Kegler300
03-08-13, 05:56 PM
Like you said, you are an adult and able to make your own decisions...leave mommy and daddy out of it if you really want to join the Marine Corps. I guarantee they will come around once you graduate and become a United States Marine. My parents wanted me to follow in daddy's footsteps and join the Air Farce...I've never seen my parents prouder of me than when they came to my graduation at MCRD San Diego.

doc h fmf
03-08-13, 08:32 PM
How about join the navy and become a navy corpsman and go infantry that way see what they say.

Stephen doc hansen hm3 fmf

Rocky C
03-09-13, 05:29 PM
Click on the links below your thread.
You will get some sound advice that you asked for there.

Best of luck to you.

descoladan
03-09-13, 08:22 PM
Thank you to everyone who replied to this post. I believe I have found the guidance I need.

Tennessee Top
03-22-13, 03:35 PM
When you talk to a USMC recruiter, address the concerns you have about your parents to them. This is a common situation and they are trained to deal with it effectively. Recruiters meet with and talk to parents all the time. Sometimes, that's all it takes to help resolve the issues.