PDA

View Full Version : Prior service with GED

Arngrto1111
03-06-13, 01:34 AM
Ok don't know if this was asked before, I've searched, but I'm currently in the national guard we were set to deploy but it was canceled. My question is if I get a conditional release approved, can I enlist with a GED while technically being prior service? I contacted a recruiter and he had no idea how to enlist someone from the guaRd, so i was side tracked about the ged question.I have to wait for the higher ups to fill them in on the conditional release process. I'm eager to find out, my commander told us that since we aren't going anywhere now is the time to think about our careers and while I'm still young I'd figured I'd do marines because of the boot camp requirement and just go from there.
Sorry for the grammar errors I'm doing this from my phOne and it's going slow

josephd
03-06-13, 07:31 PM
there is no guarantee you will deploy in the Marine Corps either...I don't see why you would switch branches for that reason.

Why would you leave the guard when they pay for you to go to school and all the other benefits you get with them.

Arngrto1111
03-06-13, 07:59 PM
Not deploying isn't the reason, I want to go full time and retire after 20 years. I want to give each branch a shot and the marine corps is the only one that requires boot camp against I'd like to go through while I'm still young and in my prime. My current commander said now is the time to think about our career in the military. The recruiter still hasn't found out information about the conditional release and won't hear back until Monday after my drill.

josephd
03-06-13, 08:09 PM
Not deploying isn't the reason, I want to go full time and retire after 20 years. I want to give each branch a shot and the marine corps is the only one that requires boot camp against I'd like to go through while I'm still young and in my prime. My current commander said now is the time to think about our career in the military. The recruiter still hasn't found out information about the conditional release and won't hear back until Monday after my drill.

your conditional release form DD-368 needs to be signed by your chain of command all the way up to your commanding general before the recruiter can do anything with it. also be aware that once it is signed by your CG you have a 30 day window to be re-contracted to a new service. if you are not you have to re-start the whole process all over again.