PDA

View Full Version : Enlisted, Mos is intel. What should I expect?

aylc94
01-30-13, 11:13 PM
I DEPed in in the summer and Leave June 24th and got intel as my MOS. I am physically ready with 18 pull ups(soon to be 20+), 100 crunches in 2 min, and a 19 min 3 mile run (soon to be 18) and mentally pumped for boot. I just want to know learn more about my MOS. Will I see combat? Where is training? How long is it? I've heard that you in order to be in Intel you have to get a new phone number and delete your social media for security purposes, is any of that true? If anyone could answer my questions or offer advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and hope to become a Marine soon.

Tennessee Top
01-31-13, 12:54 AM
Go to the "Ask A Marine" forum. Read the last sticky listed about the 0231 Intelligence Analyst. May not answer all your questions but good place to start. Good luck. Hope you like subway sandwiches!

sabrillo
01-31-13, 09:28 AM
Hello Aylc94. My son DEP'd in with an INTEL mos and I can't speak for the 02xx mos's, but he got the 26xx while in boot. He did not have to give up his phone or social media. You just should be use common sense and remember OPSEC rules on your social media pages. You will not know what side of Intel (02 or 26) you get until boot, where all the intel guys will be interviewed, and interviewed again. Just make sure your questionair was answered honestly and correctly. While we were at his graduation, I was contact by the investigator that was investigating my son for his clearance. She met with me when we got back and got clarification on some questions, went to neighbors, his school, teachers, talked to his friends and who knows what else. I know his recruiter went with my son to the police station, eye doctor...etc. He is at a Radio Battalion now and hoping to deploy soon. I've been told you have a better chance to be out in the field as a 26 vs 02. My son was hoping for 0231 mos, but got 2651 and he's now glad he did. Good luck.

whitehead
02-04-13, 04:55 PM
Hello I Dep'ed in back in September and have been flip flopping inbetween different MOS's and finally got Intel and I was wondering if anybody could tell me whats the difference between humint and sigint and if there are any 0211's what is 0211 like im really interested in the CI field and one more question will Marine Corps Intel set me up to go into the CIA after my 20 in the Corps? Thank you -Poolee Whitehead

Lisa 23
02-04-13, 05:32 PM
Aylc94 and whitehead........before either one of you make another post, you need to fill out ALL of your profile, site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.

Whitehead....you have on very long run-on sentence going on there. You may not think it's a big deal, but to some of us, it is.
Start using some basic sentence structure such as capital letters at beginning of sentences, commas where needed, capitalize the letter "I", punctuation marks where needed, and periods at end of sentences.

And while this is the Ask A Marine forum and we are here to answer whatever questions that wannabes and poolees have, try using the search bar to search the site first. You may find that your questions have been asked and answered before. If the search bar isn't working, let us know and we'll have Admin look into it.

Tennessee Top
02-04-13, 10:17 PM
HUMINT: human intelligence. Information about the enemy is gathered by talking to/interviewing/interrogating/observing/reading the mail of actual people within the culture/area of operations (AOO). Think of a spy (not that we have those in the military mind you) or paid informant. A defector or POW could be a source of HUMINT. The enemy will deploy double agents (we believe they are spying FOR us but are in actuality spying AGAINST us and providing us the info our enemy wants us to have). The oldest trick in the book is for the enemy to use a beautiful female agent who trades sex for secrets and it works too many times (GOOGLE Sergeant Clayton Lonetree USMC for the classic example of Soviet HUMINT).

SIGINT: signals intelligence. Information about the enemy is obtained by intercepting communications over landlines, internet, radio nets, satellites, cell phones, unsecured/secured message traffic, etc (anything the enemy uses to communicate with electronically). The enemy will intentionally put out false information so analysts must be able to differentiate between what is real and unreal. This is known as the "cat-n-mouse game" (we do the same thing) and illustrates why good intelligence is so vital; the more you actually know about your enemy, the better you'll be at seeing the facts and not being fooled by the fluff.

No secrets here...you can find books about this stuff in any library or bookstore. Most of it you'll find in military history books. Many times, hollywood makes movies about it.