PDA

View Full Version : PLC Ground to Air

NamesCoach
01-26-13, 01:33 PM
Hi, i'm new to the website so im not sure if im asking this in the right place or not. but im going to go ahead and ask. So i was contracted for a PLC-ground contract. I am a Freshman in college right now and will be going to my first 6 week course in June. I was wondering, that since i am already contracted as ground, would it be possible to switch to Air? have any of you heard of this happening or has it happened to you personally? if any of you could help me out and throw some info at me it would be helpful. Thank you. -Jared

Lisa 23
01-26-13, 01:43 PM
Moved to the Ask A Marine forums.....not all Marines have posting privileges in the poolee forum.
You may also want to correct your shipdate in your profile if you're leaving in 6 weeks......
What is your ship date?: 5/2/2012

NamesCoach
01-26-13, 02:02 PM
ship date is June 2nd 2012 and okay thank you for directing me in the right area

Lisa 23
01-26-13, 02:17 PM
Well, being that this is 2013, then you have some training done already?

NamesCoach
01-26-13, 02:28 PM
alright i see what i did, im stuck in the past. by habit i kept writing 2012

josephd
01-26-13, 05:48 PM
I don't believe you will be able to change it in time for your first increment PLC this summer. Upon coming back from a successful 6 weeks later this year you should be able to switch it over as long as their is Air contracts available. Make sure you get your OSO in the loop about this though.

I do know it is possible because I know of other candidates that have done this but that doesn't mean it will happen.

NamesCoach
01-26-13, 07:14 PM
Thank you josephd for the response. And yeah my OSO is in the loop with all this, i just wasn't sure if he was just telling me i could switch to keep me. But either way id love to be an aviator or boots on the ground, the Marines are for me.

NamesCoach
01-28-13, 12:34 AM
I was wondering if anyone could explain to me more in depth about how the PLC boot camp works, I am a freshman right now and I leave June 2nd. I am doing the two 6 week camps. I was wondering how Boot works, how long are the marches, how long are the runs on average, I heard you get Sundays off. But Sundays are also big prep days. As of right now I run a 19:21 3 mile and i can do 25 pull ups and max out my crunches. I am still working on my running time and constantly working out.

josephd
01-28-13, 02:29 PM
I was wondering if anyone could explain to me more in depth about how the PLC boot camp works, I am a freshman right now and I leave June 2nd. I am doing the two 6 week camps. I was wondering how Boot works, how long are the marches, how long are the runs on average, I heard you get Sundays off. But Sundays are also big prep days. As of right now I run a 19:21 3 mile and i can do 25 pull ups and max out my crunches. I am still working on my running time and constantly working out.

PLC/OCS is NOT boot camp, you are not there to be trained on how to be a Marine. It is an evaluation process to test you physically and mentally to be sure you have the qualities to become an officer in the Corps.

Based on your PFT numbers I'd say you'll be fine. Unless it has changed, you will be running ALOT and everywhere you go. You will probably do a few humps/hikes with around 60lbs of gear. First will be about 3 miles and they will go up from there. Overall it is VERY physical.

josephd
01-28-13, 02:32 PM
And yes you will get Sundays off after the 2nd or 3rd week. Don't go out drinking or eat anything crazy because usually that Monday you'll do some crazy PT just to see who got stupid and try to break them off. That is part of the evaluation.

Lisa 23
01-28-13, 02:44 PM
Commissioning Programs
http://www.marines.com/becoming-a-marine/commissioning-programs/four-year-colleges/platoon-leaders-class

NamesCoach
01-28-13, 03:40 PM
Josephd,
Are you allowed to leave base sundays?

josephd
01-28-13, 07:41 PM
Josephd,
Are you allowed to leave base sundays?

Yes, typically you'll get secured for liberty sometime on Saturday afternoon and as long as you/your platoon doesn't have duty you'll go off base with some fellow candidates. Go out in town, get a good dinner, grab a beer or two, see a movie, or whatever you want as long as you don't get into trouble. Get a cheap hotel room and get a good night of sleep. You"ll have to be back by around 1700 or so on Sunday.

Just understand that being granted liberty is part of your evaluation process at OCS. Your instructors WILL know what you did and where you probably went. If you get into any trouble you can pretty much kiss you commissioning possibilities good bye. If you show back up hung over they will see it and the platoon will pay for it. If you show up stuffed with McDonalds they will see it because it will be coming back up on Monday. All of this will come up at your Co. Cmdr.'s eval. and it could get you dropped.

MunkyVsRobot
01-28-13, 07:49 PM
Also make sure you are dressed properly a lot of the individuals who are at Qtown for OCS go to woodbridge and there are a lot of Marines and the like there so dont pretend like you can go slob it around town on libbo. I cant tell you how many candidates I saw while I was at Belvoir.

josephd
01-28-13, 08:12 PM
Also make sure you are dressed properly a lot of the individuals who are at Qtown for OCS go to woodbridge and there are a lot of Marines and the like there so dont pretend like you can go slob it around town on libbo. I cant tell you how many candidates I saw while I was at Belvoir.

very true!...but this is why you pack another set of civvies with you so once you leave you can put something else on that doesn't make you stand out so much that the khakis with a tucked in polo shirt do......except for the hair cut.

NamesCoach
01-28-13, 11:33 PM
Okay, thank you for the input. Good to know I would be able to get out and see the real world and call my GF. It would be really nice. Does anyone have anything else that I should hear or know? Anything helps, I'm excited and nervous at the same time even though I do not leave for a while. Thanks