PDA

View Full Version : How do i know that i really want to enlist?

Superfuzz
02-13-12, 07:34 AM
Let me introduce myself...My grandpa died unexpectedly on 12/31/10 and it changed me as a person. He literally died on the day he was supposed to retire from working. It got me thinking and I decided I wanted to join the military, I lost weight last year and it in decent shape and thought all year about every branch, and weighed out the pro's and cons. I want to join the Marines because it seems like a brotherhood and I like the loyalty and discipline and I feel no other branch compares in that respect, its not a knock to any other branch. I don't have much interest on college, I'd rather work hard, with my body than sit in class all day. Right now i'm in construction, I do masonry, carpentry, I have 7 yards I maintain and I shovel snow in the winter. I love working with my hands and feeling good about what I did at the end of the day. Part of me wants to do infantry, not because of Call of Duty or anything like that because I don't really play video games but its a once in a lifetime experience. I want to join the military because I want to serve my country, one of my grandpas was an underwater welder in the Navy, the other was drafted into the Korean War but he was stationed Germany in the Army as a supply sergeant, then he joined the Navy when he got out of the Army.

Anyways my question is, are these good reasons to join? I just graduated last year, and I don't want to rush into anything. Right now I'm doing the P90x, then I'm doing Insanity, they are both intense workout programs. If i'm going to join the Marines, I don't want them to get me in shape, I want to go to Parris Island and kick ass. That's all I have to say, thank you all for your service and hopefully I will become part of the brotherhood.

Superfuzz
01-20-13, 12:24 PM
I've been contemplating enlisting in the service for 2 years now. Since the beginning of 2011. I haven't really told anyone except my boss and i told him that's why i'm quitting. (There was a book of reasons but i kept it short and sweet).. About a year ago i decided I think the Marines would be the best for me, and i could be my best in the Marines. I admire all the branches equally, but i like the standards all Marines are held too and pride each of them have. I workout 5-6 days and i'm in construction if that helps. But i want something more and i want to serve my country. So my question is, how did you know you wanted to join? I think its one of those things, you really don't know until you do it. I don't want to not do it and 15 years from now regret not. I know my father and a few other people who regret not joining the military.

Lisa 23
01-20-13, 12:51 PM
Both of your threads have been merged together.
Thread closed until you have a complete profile besides a first and last name........site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums. When profile is complete, PM any Squad Leader from the Squad Leaders sticky in the Ask A Marine forum and thread will be re-opened.

thewookie
01-22-13, 09:30 AM
Sorry about the delay, Superfuzz -- I was without internet for a few days.

You said, "I want to join the military because I want to serve my country"

That is as good a reason as any, maybe even more noble than most. Good on you for wanting to make a difference.

Go talk to a recruiter as see what they say -- only costs you some time.

Good luck.

Superfuzz
01-22-13, 04:38 PM
Thank you for the answers. I've literally done two years of research. I will have to talk to a recruiter soon, i'm in pretty good shape, i'm smart, strong, my record is as clean as it can get. I only went to the principles office once, and that was for not having gym clothes.