PDA

View Full Version : Blue to Red, Prior MQ-1 Predator UAV Sensor Operator

MQ1SO
01-06-13, 05:33 AM
Hello all, and thanks in advance for your time in reading this. I have several questions, but will preface them with my current situation.

I'm an Air Force prior service Senior Airman (E-4), with the Air Force Specialty Codes of 1N151 (Journeyman Imagery Analyst) and 1U051 (Journeyman UAV Sensor Operator)

At 18 years old, I originally wanted to be a 0311 in the USMC, but was discouraged by recruiters because of my ASVAB. Once it was apparent that intel was the best way to go, I was convinced by my parents/future spouse into joining the 'best' intel branch in the DoD. I did my stint, LOVED my jobs, but did not enjoy the culture. I had fellow airmen talking about bubblegum bullsh*t during serious combat support missions like the 2012 push in Marjeh.

I left the USAF. My best memories were basic training, pre-deployment, and my two short stints at Kandahar and FOB Shindand.

I want to get back into the military. It's not so much about money as it is about job security and wanting to be part of a warrior culture. I did not have that kind of pride in the Air Force.

A few months ago I began debating between going back to the USAF, but the more I think about it - the more I want to just hit the restart button as a Marine.

I intend to stop by the nearest USMC recruiter at the end of my work week (next Wednesday). I would prefer a job as a UAV 'external pilot' as you guys call it, infantryman, or some sort of intel... I'm 23, and still in decent shape. I could definitely get better. I run a 1.5 in about 9:50, do 42 push ups in one minute, and about 12 pull ups.

----

Is there anything I should bring or be prepared for walking into a recruiter's office as a Prior Enlisted?

I will be getting married within the next 6 months. My fiance is prior AF, but has a GySgt brother and understands making sacrifices. Should I expect to get Base Housing or BAH and offbase living privileges once out of SOI/MCT?

My AFSCs do not have an exact correlation to a USMC MOS, but I was told that if it was even close I would not be given the choice of an MOS...That they would just throw me in the next best match. Is this true?

I have a few achievement medals and decs from the AF and most will be transferable from my research. Will I wear these ribbons upon graduation at MCRD? It isn't that important; But I am proud of my prior service and worked hard to earn them.

I know I will have more questions as I continue with the re-enlistment process, and I will be sure to work with my recruiter as much as possible. Once again, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Until I earn the right to use the Marine motto.. Check Six. :P
-MQ1SO

josephd
01-06-13, 12:47 PM
I would say bring in your DD-214/discharge paperwork from the AF, any and all warrants, awards, and certificates you have. Other than that you shouldn't need anything else. <br />
<br />
Yes, once out of SOI,...

MQ1SO
01-06-13, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the input, Joseph. I was told that Aerial Achievement medals could be worn, but it is an AF specific award for #of sorties/hours flown, so it makes sense if I wasn't going to be able to.

I've been getting conflicting information from the internet, but we all know how reliable that is. Hence why I'm here and not on yahooanswers.

josephd
01-06-13, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the input, Joseph. I was told that Aerial Achievement medals could be worn, but it is an AF specific award for #of sorties/hours flown, so it makes sense if I wasn't going to be able to.

I've been getting conflicting information from the internet, but we all know how reliable that is. Hence why I'm here and not on yahooanswers.

Yeah there is nothing that is very reliable for word on some things. In your case and many others it will come down to your recruiter, your senior drill instructor, your future command, and how much work/paperwork they are willing to do for you to get those awards pushed through and transferred over to the Navy/Marine Corps equivalent. If it is even possible.