PDA

View Full Version : What was it like to be a DI

Cole11
12-04-03, 11:48 PM
For the Marines that were DIs what was it like? How'd you feel towards your recruits?Was it an overall good experience?

Thanks for your input,
Poolee Vince Cole

As I said in previous posts, anyone who would like to IM me feel free, my screen name is VinniecUSMC

firstsgtmike
12-05-03, 04:33 AM
Poolee Cole,

I hope you receive responses from those who were on the Drill Field.

However! As an outsider looking in, I have ALWAYS felt that Drill Instructor was the "second" most rewarding experience in the Marine Corps.

The first, being a Recruiter.

It's easy to be a leader, Officer, NCO, or SNCO, of Marines.

The hard part, the weeding out, the molding, the creating, to produce the finished product, a Marine, has already been accomplished. After that, it's like graduate school, leaders oversee the finishing touches.

The Drill Instructor starts the molding and the creating of raw recruits into basic Marines. Every graduation day is another "payday" that made it all worthwhile, and an addition to his journal of memories.

"Payday" for a Recruiter is on a more regular basis. "Payday" is everytime one of HIS recruits earns the Eagle Globe and Anchor.

I've been off Recruiting Duty for 28 years. I can still name a dozen recruits I enlisted, and tell stories about two dozen more.

Drill Instructor's can do the same.