PDA

View Full Version : Switching to active duty contract while in DEP

mayohcky3
12-14-12, 12:32 PM
Good day Marines!

I'm going to talk to my recruiter when I get back to my hometown next week in regards to switch my contract to active duty. I am currently contracted as a 5811 on a 6 year reserve and 2 years inactive. I enlisted as a reserve solely because I have every intention to graduate college in two years however, I plan on being a police officer in MN and is damn near impossible unless you have experience. So to prevent being jobless after college I just figured I should re-do my contract so I can do boot camp one summer, MCT the next and so forth so I can stay in college. My question is if I switch jobs to either 0300, 1800, or 6100 would I have to retake my ASVAB even though I already qualify for those jobs? I appreciate all the help Marines!

josephd
12-14-12, 02:19 PM
I am confused?....you want to switch to active duty but you want to go to boot camp one summer, MCT the next, etc..??

If you are still in the DEP you should be able to switch no problem but you may not get to keep your MOS/field and your date to ship to boot camp will probably get pushed back quite awhile. And no you do not have to retake the ASVAB. That score is good until you decide to retake it.