PDA

View Full Version : The Drifter is in the hospital

Sparrowhawk
12-04-03, 06:57 AM
For the past four days Our Roger, “The Drifter,” Roger Alfano, top moderator for Leatherneck.com has been in the hospital.

This site is his heart and his outlet, so he has had his wife Ellie, posting for him.

His is a bit stubborn, and it was Ellie that made him go to the hospital.

He is doing good for now, but had a cyst...that ruptured and he lost a lot of blood.
Then, the VA found a few other things wrong with him.....He had been going to them for the last few months.

He still has a mass on his right kidney....Not sure yet about surgery ....More test are due

From Ellie;

They gave him a bone scan....That came back negitive.(Good)...He still has to go through the kidney scan....and some other tests which he can't remember....LOL...They got his blood stablized.....he lost 2 pints.....They told him...a few more days he would have died.....He might be a pain...in the ass....but I still love him....LOL...There is talk that they might have to remove his kidney.....They believe the mass is canceres(SP)....He was lucky that he was going to the VA....to see the head dr.....Hell he even said that he has problems....Hell I could have told them that....LOL....
Thanks for the Prayers....he needs lots of them now.....

This message from ellie yesterday morning…

Roger is still in good spirits....but he is hollowering he isn't getting enough food......LOL....

He is going through a test now...checking the chest...and another one this afternoon.....We are waiting for word when they are going to do the surgery(Looks like Monday)....but there is talk that he might be able to come home...for a few days....with me taking care of him....his kidney is bleeding still....
Will let you know more later....

I did PM Colleen this morning.....to tell her.....
I do think Roger would like all the Prayers....
He might not go to church like we use to......but we are still believers
surgery is next week to take out his kidney....
Thanks

Ellie

Roger, is an outstanding Marine, that cares a lot about this site. Your prayers and good wishes, I know he would appreciate.

Cook

Sophora
12-04-03, 07:14 AM
Roger and Ellie, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Lock-n-Load
12-04-03, 07:20 AM
:marine:Get Well, Marine...Get Well :marine: Semper Fi

TracGunny
12-04-03, 07:24 AM
My thoughts and prayers; no Marine is ever alone...

Phantom Blooper
12-04-03, 07:34 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with Roger,Ellie and the children. Roger has alway's been here for me when asked of. Godspeed,Fair winds and Following seas! Semper-Fi! Brother! Chuck Hall:marine:

Sparrowhawk
12-04-03, 08:20 AM
I am sure Ellie will make copies of those and get them to him.

Nothing lifts a man's spirit more then knowing there are those that care for him

SF

Cook

USMC-FO
12-04-03, 08:54 AM
Drifter:

You do not have Corps permission to be in the hospital. We need you well and back on the line as soon as possible Marine! So you will get well !!

We're all pulling for you to get back soon.

Semper Fi Marine !

Phil

montana
12-04-03, 09:29 AM
im so sorry...ya have my prayers and best wishes
hang in there Marine & Ellie

marinemom
12-04-03, 09:45 AM
Drifter, remember your post about not getting on my bad side?

Well, you better get well really soon or you will be - not to mention that someone has to keep Sparrowhawk in line.

You are in my prayers - always.

TheJester
12-04-03, 09:54 AM
I wish you the best of luck Drifter.

Semper Fi

DSchmitke
12-04-03, 09:55 AM
Drifter
Get well soon your in our prayers.

CPL-Mac
12-04-03, 10:25 AM
Roger and Ellie my thoughts and prayers are with you. May God look down upon you and protect you in your time of need. Drifter hope to see back on duty soon.

You're not going to turn into a Sick Bay Commando on us are yah?

Semper Fi
Mac

jo_beth
12-04-03, 10:28 AM
Behave your self, Roger
You don't want to **** off Ellie or she may remove your kidney herself.... thru your nose!

:banana:

I pray you will be in good health soon and be back to keep your brothers and sisters going here on the site.

Semper Fi!
Gabby

Sgt Sostand
12-04-03, 10:43 AM
Roger i wish you the best get well soon

thedrifter
12-04-03, 11:14 AM
Thank You for your Prayers.....

I just read....your replies...to Roger....and the emails that I have been receiving.......All Your Well Wishes....are Well Apreciated...
You just perked Roger up..Thank You....He is a fighter....and has proven that to me more than once.....

Roger did have a relapse early evening yesterday....which they had to give him another 2 pints of blood....and had to stablize his heart and blood pressure.....He is doing good again...and just got through another test....Another one is schedule this afternoon....and at this time they are saying they will have the kidney surgery on Monday....
I will try to keep you posted.....
If anyone would like to talk to him I do have a number for him...Just PM me.....

Marine Mom.....We can't change Cook....That's why we love him....

JoBeth....Roger laughed...but he knows you know me.....LOL

Thank You All Again....

From the bottom of My Heart

Ellie and His Four Brats.....

Sparrowhawk
12-04-03, 12:20 PM
on second though, take your time at the hospital, just ask for a redhead sexy nurse, LOL

OOOooph, Ellie don't read this, just read it to Roger... LOL

Hurry back, its hard to resist posting stuff that you would censor!

I already deleted two of my own posts, cause I knew you would have, so I did it for you...LOL

Semper Fi,

Cook

yellowwing
12-04-03, 01:26 PM
Get yourself healed up Roger! Semper Fi

Devildogg4ever
12-04-03, 01:57 PM
the drifter, I'm praying for you and your family, my brother! We will see you here when your ready. Hang tough, Marine!!

Semper Fi!!! http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/elitewarriorsworld/Asmily2/icon_blues.gif

CPLRapoza
12-04-03, 02:08 PM
Best of luck drifter, Semper Fi.

Art Petersn
12-04-03, 02:17 PM
Good Luck Drifter

Hope your back soonest

garryh123
12-04-03, 02:25 PM
Good luck Drifter! I know all about cysts.....had one by my spine that went deep into the muscles! Now I have a nice scar where it used to be! Get well soon!

mrbsox
12-04-03, 02:34 PM
Just spoke with Ellie,

She sounds good, and in good spirits. I think she is resting up, so she can KICK HIS A$$ when he get back home. :banana: Maybe the rest of us 'ole dogs' better start listining to our better halves. :p

She is glad to have everybodys support, and knows that there could not be better thoughts and prayers falling in Philly.

Terry

28echo
12-04-03, 02:38 PM
Get Well Soon.

Semper Fi,
Josh

Phantom Blooper
12-04-03, 02:55 PM
Roger, Hurry up and come back home... I'm pulling jokes out my butt on the Chuckles thread. If you need more blood don't let them give you somebodys tired blood like they did me in September! Good Wishes Brother! S/F Chuck Hall:marine:

chado
12-04-03, 03:54 PM
Get well soon drifter, we're all thinking about you.
Semper Fi

GySgtRet
12-04-03, 05:02 PM
Roger,Ellie and family,

One Marine to another. Get well soon. Like USMC FO said you don't have permission to be at sickbay.

Get well soon. Prayers are with you...!!!!

rsta
12-04-03, 05:47 PM
Roger, don't "drift" off too long, we all need you here. Hope they get you all fixed up before too much longer, this place is starting to get ornery and mis-aligned. Prayers are with you and your family.

Get well soon!

Bob

RoboRobinson17
12-04-03, 07:06 PM
Today musta been a PT day, huh? Thoughts and prayers go out to Roger and the Family....hasn't been the same on the boards without him. Get well soon, brother.

Semper Fi,

Joe

prmama
12-04-03, 07:57 PM
I wanted to say that you are my dad Roger and Miss Ellie the mom around here. I wish you a speed recovery. My thoughts are with you and the family.

greensideout
12-04-03, 08:53 PM
Roger and Ellie, I would like to share one of my favorite verses with you.

"but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength,
they shall mount up with wings like eagles,
they shall run and not be weary,
they shall walk and not faint.---Isaiah 40:31

Roger, you are in our prayers.
Looking forward to your return!

Semper Fi,
Ron

MillRatUSMC
12-04-03, 09:02 PM
Drifter and Ellie and his four "brats", prayers been said in northwest Indiana.
May God bless all of you.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

Osotogary
12-04-03, 09:24 PM
I never realized that the Drifter wasn't feeling well. It just seems as though nothing would ever detain him from his presence on this website.
May your will overcome your ailment. May your spirit prevail. May whatever medication you may have to take be easy on your stomach and may you receive my prayers and well wishes, for you and your family, as I know you have received others.
Take care from South Florida.
Gary(osotogary)

CAS3
12-04-03, 10:08 PM
Here is the plan...
We all need to force Ellie to get some rest...she hasn't been doing enough for herself and without her Roger would go to sh!t.
So would the kids and so would we...
Anyone sees her around here at strange hours order her back to bed!

Still pulling for you both here...stuck in the snow and sleet in Northern VA!!
In my htoughts, prayers and heart...I love you both...
Semper Fidelis, Colleen

Osotogary
12-05-03, 12:17 AM
Sounds like a Plan!
I won't order her to go to bed because she knows that she should be getting some rest. I'd merely suggest to her that it would be a good idea. Either way, proper rest would be very beneficial for the body and mind, even now.
Prayers are heading towards Pennsylvania from South Florida. Good Night.
Gary(osotogary)

thedrifter
12-05-03, 06:45 AM
Before you folks start yelling at me.....I did get some sleep....
Thanks Colleen...

I need to Thank All.....for their replies, emails, phone calls to me and especially the ones to Roger.....His spirits have been lifted....once again......
You have all made me understand the Bond that you call Your Brotherhood/Sisterhood....Thank You....

Roger is doing good, needed another pint of blood last night....In the last 4 days...He has been given 6 pints....He had a minor surgery yesterday.....All test from yesterday...came back with good news....Another test today....won't say what time, since they keep changing the mission.....Monday is scheduled for surgery to have his right kidney removed.....

Thank You for keeping us in your Prayers.....

Ellie

TMM54
12-05-03, 07:00 AM
Hang in there brother! I just got out of the hospital (again),
and to hell with the doctors. Our bodies are perfectly plastic,
controlled by our thoughts. Start imaging perfect health, and
you will have it. My prayers are with you and all of our brothers
and sisters that are ill. Semper Fidelis, Tom Murray

SgtDvlDog3
12-05-03, 02:16 PM
Drifter,
All the best, get well soon.

Semper Fidelis
John W. Coovert

bobpage
12-05-03, 02:44 PM
Rely on the Lord Drifter...Brother HE has always carried me. HE will carry you and your family too. Trust HIM!!!!!!!! Get well soon marine!

Flip Fraser
12-05-03, 07:08 PM
Get well soon,Roger.We all miss you.

Flip Fraser

VietVet'sWife
12-05-03, 09:29 PM
Drifter, I don't get on here much, as Newb has control of the remote, so to speak. I wish you & Ellie all the best. Thoughts and prayers are with you. God Bless!

ninaemi
12-05-03, 10:02 PM
My prayer and thoughts are with you guys.Get well and come back healthy.

firstsgtmike
12-06-03, 02:22 AM
Bump!

To keep this on top of the list, where it belongs.

Subic76
12-06-03, 08:57 AM
Bump.
My best to you and yours.

thedrifter
12-06-03, 09:41 AM
Warren I'm getting some sleep....better than the pass few days.....and yes I'm eating......My 4 brats are making sure of that......Who is going to do their wash for them to get to work....LOL......My children are my strength.....The Support that I'm receiving from my Family, Friends Old and New, and the Marine Family have pulled me to keep going during this difficuilt time....

Weather here is hindering us....Snowing for 2 days...so I haven't been able to see Roger....but we are on the phone all the time.....

Roger is doing good, tired and a little weak but still in good spirits...They want him to relax...as much as possible...before surgery....on Monday....right now they are saying morning......Since he has pretty well cleaned out their blood bank....LOL....and have his hemoglobin count up to where they feel comfortable...he did not need any blood yesterday.......

He did have another test yesterday, wasn't for the surgery....it was to check his lungs....Roger has emphysema...which we pretty well guessed.....So, I guess my son and I will...quit.....Makes you think twice.....

Thank You All for Your Support......

Ellie, and Roger's four Brats.....

leroy8541
12-06-03, 11:50 AM
Drifter, you and your family are in our prayers, godspeed brother.

greensideout
12-06-03, 09:10 PM
Ellie and brats, watch out for the snow storm problems, one in the hospital at a time is more then we want.

We're pray'in Roger, with the hope that the Lord brings. :)

12-06-03, 09:28 PM
Get well soon Drifter, we need you here. Semper Fi- Billsan

JP YH08
12-06-03, 11:07 PM
Recover and prayers out to you and yours !!

Semper Fi ! JP

greybeard
12-07-03, 01:40 PM
Prayers and thoughts to you and your family Drifter. Good thing we've got God & women to look after us, and keep us straight & narrow.

lurchenstein
12-07-03, 01:44 PM
Get well Roger. Prayers for you & your family for full recovery.

RichLundeen
12-07-03, 05:23 PM
My thoughts and best wishes are with you, Roger! Hang tough, Brother!

arzach
12-07-03, 06:10 PM
Prayers and Good Thoughts Roger...Speedy Recovery

SSgtOfMarines
12-07-03, 10:34 PM
Roger and Ellie,

May God be with you during your time of need. If there is anything I can do for either of you, you know how to get in contact with me.

Ross

dedom
12-07-03, 11:02 PM
Drifter & Ellie

Don't know your sitrep as of now.

If you need anything let me know. Hell I've got more blood then I need, so if you need it just say the word.

In the brace Marine, no one gave you permission to fall out.

Get well quick bro we need you.

dedom

Sparrowhawk
12-08-03, 07:03 AM
The drifter, Roger has his operation.

They will be removing his kidney and hopefully this stops the bleeding he has been experiencing. Our prayers are with him.

Take care Bro, prayers witrh you.

Semper fi

Cook

mrbsox
12-08-03, 08:31 AM
Most gracious and loving Heavenly Father,

A Marine pauses at this time to seek your spirit filled guidance, over the human mind and hands that have been entrusted with the care of our brother. We trust in your will to guide their thoughts and actions as they fulfill the efforts to heal the body.

But above all Lord, I pray for the Healing that only you and your Son can bestow upon the mind and soul of Roger and his family. Let your peace be know to them, as you guide the hands of the Nurses and Surgeons, whom care for our brother, their father, and husband.

Your will be done.

Amen.

Wahrmund
12-08-03, 08:47 AM
We're thinking of you, Roger and Ellie. You're both hard chargers. We'll be praying for you.

thedrifter
12-08-03, 09:01 AM
I can't Thank You All for the Everyones Well Appreciated Well Wishes, and the Outpouring of Support.....Our Family has received.....You have kept Roger's spirits up......

Our Family spent most of the day with Roger yesterday....after a 2 day snow storm...which blanketed our area with 11 inches.....We were lucky....some folks got much more....

Change of Plans....was announced yesterday....
Roger is going through surgery this morning.....to have the mass removed......They will test to see if it is cancer..Which they believe ...They want to see if they can save the kidney while they are in there...Better chance to live longer life....I was told......If they can not they will do another surgery in about a week....To remove the kidney.......

Please have Yourselves checked out....since it was placed down on record that they are looking into it as caused by Agent Orange...

I did talk to him before they took him to the ER....He was still in high spirits....

Thank You Again.....

Ellie

Rodger Jr, Kristiana, Tony, and Pam

Mudwalker
12-08-03, 10:02 AM
Drifter,

From all of us at the Marine Corps Operations Center,

"Get well soon Marine!"

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Semper Fi Mac :marine:

shoreparty
12-08-03, 10:14 AM
ELLIE, let rog know iffen theres anything,and i mean anything i can do im here!may god take hold of this MARINE, and keep him safe!!!! love yall much,,,,im prayn!,,DAVE

SemperFiGirl79
12-08-03, 11:03 AM
Drifter,

Our Thoughts & Prayers are with you.

Stay Strong!

Kate ~ SemperFiGirl79

thedrifter
12-08-03, 07:48 PM
Want to let everyone know that Roger is out of surgery a little while ago....Took a little longer than they figured.....but he is fine.....In a lot of pain....but I took care of that.....He is in La La land now.....LOL

The tumor is inside of the kidney....They only took a piece of the tumor for now and will analyze it....to see what type of cancer it is...The doctor is young and wants to see if they can save his kidney.....After the find out the results, in 3 days to 2 weeks.(should know more in about 3 days)..they will know what type of cancer it is and if it is spreadable or if it is contained....If it is spreadable they will have to take out the whole kidney....If not they will be able to take out the portion where the tumor is.....

Yes another surgery.....about 10 day to 2 weeks.....

Now the good news.....They are saying Roger will be able to come home tomorrow....to relax more comfortable at home....but he will have to listen to me.....LOL....

Thank You again for all your support.....I could not do without all of you.....

Ellie and the four Brats...

mrbsox
12-08-03, 08:11 PM
Gracious and benolevent Heavenly Father,

This Marine pauses to thank you for the direction, guideance, and mercy bestowed upon my brother. I thank you Lord with all that I am, and beseach you for your continued will to be done in his healing.

Please continue to surround his family in your peace and love, that they may know all is well when it is in your hands.

Bless the hands of the Nurses and Surgeons that have preformed the human tasks that were before them, and as they continue in this mission of life giving service.

Bless Ellie and family as they endure the waiting that is ahead, and let them know that your love and power is with them, and Roger.

Your will be done.

Amen.

GySgtRet
12-08-03, 08:17 PM
Amen.

mrbsox
12-09-03, 05:35 AM
Bump

airframesguru
12-09-03, 06:42 AM
Hope he is all right.

Get well and Semper Fi,

MW

RichLundeen
12-09-03, 08:25 AM
I hope all goes well with the most current proceedure!

Roger, stay strong, Marine!

Semper Fi

Rich

Sparrowhawk
12-09-03, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Ellie
Roger is out of surgery ...he is fine.....

In a lot of pain....but I took care of that.....He is in La La land now.....

Ellie and the four Brats...

That may have made the hospital visit worth it....LOL

Glad he's coming home, keep him off the puter...

like that's gona happen...LOL

Take care Bro, been drinking a beer for you everyday, since you weren't able to have any in the hospital. lol

Cook

DSchmitke
12-09-03, 09:31 AM
Hang in there Roger.

CPL-Mac
12-09-03, 10:22 AM
Good to hear it! Get well soon Drifter and God Bless!

crew
12-09-03, 05:58 PM
Ellie,...my prayers are with you and your family...by any chance is he at FoX Chase, we have some great University hospitals in Phila. ..so, I'm very sure he'll get top notch care...amazing treatments now for cancer, with a very high and..complete recovery rate.......stay strong brave woman...Sempers to you and yours.............crew

tommyboy
12-10-03, 03:57 PM
Get well soon! Semper Fi

RichLundeen
12-10-03, 09:22 PM
I'll have a beer to your good health too, Roger!

Semper Fi

Rich

Sparrowhawk
12-11-03, 05:55 AM
So, how's the old man doing this morning?

I think, he's just laying there in bed, so that you can take advantage of him, LOL

LONEEAGLE
12-11-03, 11:39 AM
I will Dedicate this Sundays Mass for the Drifter. He's a good Marine, and a good person. Hang Tuff Big Topper, we're all pullin' fer ya. And Ms Ellie? You don't know me, but, my heart and prayers go out for you also, and you'll be included in the Mass. Many prayers from just one Mass. Big Eagle.

kentmitchell
12-11-03, 05:52 PM
Keep a positive attitude and beat it, Roger

digger
12-12-03, 03:23 AM
Roger:
Just heard about your plight, I don't get on much anymore. My prayers are with you. Don't take any crap from the docs and nurses. You and Ellie make sure you are procative. and make sure they tell you everything and all options. (I speak from experience) . Good luck brother -- Digger (marvin)

gys
02-01-04, 01:31 PM
God Bless you and your family. Get well soon.

david43844
02-01-04, 03:58 PM
Our prayers are with you Roger! The VA did a good job on my cancer,you'll be just fine,hang in there and get well!!

devildog21345
02-01-04, 04:27 PM
get well soon roger

P. M. SHEEHAN
02-01-04, 05:07 PM
You're in my prayers, Drifter. Get back on line fast, and that's a direct order!

scarberry
02-01-04, 05:53 PM
hang in there drifter best of luck

Santos
02-01-04, 08:16 PM
You are in my thoughts and prayers. Get well soon!

RoboRobinson17
02-01-04, 11:25 PM
Get well soon, Roger...my thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours

Semper Fidelis,

Joe