PDA

View Full Version : Social life as a Grunt

Bondservant
11-30-12, 01:59 PM
Hello Marines

To start out this is my first post to as a brief introduction, Hi my name is Luke. I've been in the DEP since August and have been trying to join the Marine Corps since January. I'll be leaving for boot camp in 10 days.

I just signed my 1130-UH Job Contract, which was the job I was hoping for. So from my understanding I'll be going in as a 03xx.

My question to you (any Infantry Marines out there) is, as a Grunt, have you had enough time outside of training to keep a balanced social/dating life?

Now don't get me wrong, this isn't at all my top priority. My recruiter tried talking me out of going infantry many times. He offered me several other jobs and a significant signing bonus to go in as a Aviation Mechanic. One of the things he said against infantry is that its very hard to have relationships because you're always out training. I'm just wondering if theres any truth is this.

Thank you all for your service and I look forward to seeing if I have what it takes to become one of you.
:iwo:

(p.s. WOW, I've found a lot of great information on this forum, I wish I had signed up earlier. The Complete Boot Camp guide was amazing and very informative. Keep up the good work, I'm going to refer a few other people here)

Bondservant
11-30-12, 02:08 PM
The question was more oriented towards life after Boot Camp and SOI, sorry I should have been more specific. :)

josephd
11-30-12, 03:29 PM
I am not an 03 but I can tell you other than when you get secured for the evening, a few liberty weekends a month, or a 72/96 weekend now and then you won't have much time to go out or date. The questions isn't whether or not you'll have enough time, it's whether or not any girl is willing to put up with only seeing you once or twice a week(if she's lucky) and then willing to stay together while your overseas for 9 months.

I understand you are just curious and you want to have some sort of dating/social life, you will. Just know that it is not your priority and whatever girl your seeing needs to understand that. If she doesn't you need to tell her to kick rocks.

Kegler300
11-30-12, 03:49 PM
Aside from training in the field and deployments, you will be home most nights and have weekends off.