PDA

View Full Version : Is re-enlisting getting harder?

mitchstan12
11-15-12, 06:48 PM
Greetings all Marines! I have a few questions regarding re-enlistment with the USMC. Right now, I am in the DEP and set to leave for boot camp this summer. I know I shouldn't be thinking about re-enlisting & instead about getting through boot camp first and my first enlistment..

And I am doing that, but I'm also concerned about how hard it is going to be for me to re-enlist because my goal is to serve 20 years in the active duty FMF.

*But with the current economy our nation is experiencing, along with the major military draw-downs and troop cutting, I have read that re-enlistment in the Marines is going to get much harder because of this... Is this true????

Also, Im enlisted with an UH Infantry contract so that is what I am planning for the majority of my military career to be in.
*Will it be hard for me to re-enlist as an Infantryman? Because I've researched and found that the infantry promotes really slow, so will this effect my chances of re-enlisting as Infantry?

**Finally, since I know re-enlistment is going to be hard for Marines who are already in, how hard will it be for me to re-up my contract since I actually won't be an active duty Marine until July 2013, which means I wont have to re-enlist until October 2017 or so...????
What my head recruiter (MSgt.) told us is that we are basically getting into the Marines at a great time if we want so be "career, 20 year" Marines because by the time we have to decide to re-enlist or not (2017) the troop cuttings and draw-downs will be slowed down, and the Marine Corps will be more stabilized by then...Is this correct?????

*Lastly, how can I better my chances for getting re-enlistment chances as an Infantry Marine??? In detail if possible..

I thank all of you Marines for your time to answer my questions, and also for your service!

Thanks in advance

Lisa 23
11-15-12, 07:56 PM
You have posted this same thread 3 times already, once is enough! Posting it again could result in you being on a short vacation away from Leatherneck for a time to be determined.

According to your profile, your birthday is February 1996, which makes you 16 years old. I find it hard to believe you are in the DEP.
You need to be 17 years old with your parents signature, or 18 with your own signature......and a high school grad with a diploma.

MunkyVsRobot
11-15-12, 09:51 PM
Before you ask questions about re-enlistment why not try earning your title first and deciding if you even want to do 8. the Marine Corps isnt exactly a walk in the park, you get the business end of the green weenie a lot especially as an 03, especially as a peace time 03.

And in regards to your other questions yes it is getting harder to become a marine and even harder to stay one, they are in the process of addiing more stuff just to get promoted such as needing to learn languages and learning about more of the culture of an area just to pick up also remember if you are the same rank for too long they toss you out. you get one page 11 or an NJP you can kiss your Marine Corps career goodbye.

Tennessee Top
11-19-12, 10:58 PM
All you need to know at this point is the USMC promotion system is geared to only promote the best (that means just doing an average or below average job will not cut it). Same principle applies to the reenlistment process but it is further complicated by manpower constraints. There are performance markers used to identify who should get promoted or allowed to reenlist (rifle score, PFT score, profiency/conduct marks, etc.).

As far as a career goes, you haven't even lived one day as a Marine yet. All you know is life as a civilian. Whatever your preconceived notions of life in the USMC are, they may turn out to be totally inaccurate and not to your liking at all. Believe it or not, many can't wait to join the civilian world again after their first enlistment (for a variety of reasons). For now, just take it one step at a time, do what you're told, and always do your very best every day. If you do that, everything else will take care of itself.

fl1946
11-20-12, 08:25 PM
Young man, you may think it's "fun" to post quizzie questions on this forum to stir up the adrenaline with us old Salts. But we get the last laugh. Next time look at the mirror. You'll see a damn splitting image of a kid still on Clearasil reading "Catcher in the Rye." (I refer to this book because its theme fits your demeanor). If you don't know, ask your literature teacher.