PDA

View Full Version : Branch Transfer/Becoming a Marine Officer

USNStudent
11-12-12, 05:44 PM
Thank you all for taking the time to read my post. After graduating from college, I made a series of poor decisions, which eventually led me into medical school. I am currently a student at the Uniformed Services University, the nation's military medical school, and was commissioned about six months ago as an O-1 in the Navy, so I am technically on active duty.

The problem is, I'd like to get out. Don't get me wrong - I love being in the military, the school is incredible and I haven't a single negative thing to say about it, and I am extremely, extremely fortunate to be here. However, I'm losing interest and am coming to the realization that I really don't want to be a doctor. It's med school, so obviously it's difficult, but I'm not the type to back away from a challenge. I just don't think three more years of sitting on my butt and studying is for me. I'd much prefer to be out in the real military, getting my hands dirty.

Anyway, what I'd really like to do is become a Marine officer. And I think I have what it takes - I was a DI college athlete and max out the PT tests, am an Eagle Scout, have a B.S. and an M.S., and am extremely hard worker and have never quit on anything (except for potentially med school). And it's been a goal of mine since high school, although between athletics and the whole getting into med school thing, I sort of lost sight of it.

So, does anyone have any experience with this kind of situation or know to whom I might be able to turn? I'm hesitant to contact an OSO because I don't want this to go up the chain of command. Or am I in too deep already? I mean, people still drop out of this school occasionally. I really want to emphasize that I don't consider myself a quitter, I just don't see myself practicing medicine for the rest of my life. Then again, maybe I'd just be throwing away a good opportunity and am being a crybaby. I'll throw in that I was thinking about talking to the chaplain to see if he could find anything out (although I know that's not his job), just because our conversation would be confidential.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. If you'd rather contact me offline, that would be fine too. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my lengthy post and for any advice you might have.

Very Respectfully,
AP

Rocky C
11-12-12, 06:40 PM
You are at a crossroads in Life.

As I was reading your post I was thinking only one thing and towards the end of your post, you said it, " The Chaplain ".

I think it's a wise decision but don't look at is as him finding something out for you while keeping it confidential, rather think of it as some wisdom to search your own Heart and Mind. You will make the ultimate decision.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted please.

USNStudent
11-12-12, 06:43 PM
Thank you very much for the response; I appreciate your input. I suppose even more than asking for an opinion on switching careers, I am wondering if it is even feasible, and furthermore, if I tried to get out of the Navy whether that would be a red flag in the Marine Corps' eyes. I guess these questions would be hard to answer unless one were an OSO or recruiter or something.

USNStudent
11-12-12, 06:56 PM
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the responses; they must have come through as I was typing my last one. By "dirty" I didn't mean anything sinister. I just feel like the Medical Corps is viewed as somewhat less than the actual military, and as I walk around the hospital and see docs that are unfit, unshaven, hair over their ears, with jacked-up uniforms and no bearing whatsoever, it only confirms this. That's a bit tangential, I know. When I think about, though, I realize that I came to this medical school more because I wanted to be in the military than in medicine, and just figured the medical aspect as a bonus and a respectable career. No doubt, it's a great career, but like I said, I'm having trouble staying interested. The only thing I'm really looking forward to is doing a tour as an undersea medical officer or a GMO as a battalion surgeon, but that will last three years tops. Anyway, I think I'm going to talk to Chaps this week. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted. My sincerest thanks, again.

V/R,
AP