PDA

View Full Version : Is there dollar stores on bases?

AIMSP
11-12-12, 12:38 AM
I ask, because I would like to save where reasonable and possible? For example, I would rather buy notebooks, writing utensils, laundry detergent and spray, windex like cleaners, napkins, etc. from there, as opposed to anywhere else where brand names are prevalent.

If there is dollar stores on bases, would you recommend a Marine buying from there as opposed to other stores, assuming that quality of the products meet common standards. Do any Marines here frequent any dollar stores near them.

I'm sorry if this question sounds really stupid. I just don't know if Marine NCOs and SNCO would rather 'encourage' Marines from buying brand over non brand, assuming they are near equal.

Thanks alot, in advance, for any input on this thread.

And thanks to all who serve and defend this great Country!!!

josephd
11-12-12, 01:25 AM
On base...NO.....Off base....YES, and usually in town right outside one of the gates.

If it were legitimate gear that you need to last and function properly I could see an NCO/SNCO wanting a Marine to get a brand name, you get what you pay for when it comes to most things.

But if you are just talking about toiletries, cleaning stuff, and that other kind of stuff they would probably suggest you go there and save money which you seem to be all about anyway.

AIMSP
11-12-12, 02:24 AM
Thanks for the answer. Yes, I'm looking to save on things that aren't crucial to operating.

I would never want to put the lives of fellow Marines or myself at risk, just so I can save a few dollars here or there.

And lol, Im more than about saving money. I already have really great PT scores, trial ASVAB scores, lettered in sports, tons of extra-cirriculars and volunteer exp(leadership in many of them), academics, etc. I can read, play, and compose music at a college level(AP classes in high school). Plus I am fluent in Arabic. I've wanted to be a Marine since age 13, and read many books on the military, government, politics, and other things one should know before serving.

I got accepted to VMI, Norwich, and The Citadel, but went to my local county college to help at home with the family and save.

Plus, coming from a home with a single ma, I already pay for most expenses, such Tuition (loans), car expenses, food, clothing, phone, etc. If I were just focused on money and saving, I would just become a licensed electrical engineer making six figures after a few years after college, so no, that's not what Im all about lol.

Im just focusing on the small things, once I enlist.

Thanks again for answering my questions!!

Lisa 23
11-12-12, 07:37 AM
It's nice that you want to find these things out, but let's not get to ahead of yourself there.
In one of your previous threads, you say you're still in college. That's great.
Have you even talked with a recuiter yet? Hopefully you won't require and waivers of any kind....medical, criminal, or if you have any tattoos. Do you have any weight to lose?
Just take it one step at a time.

AIMSP
11-12-12, 10:41 AM
thanks for the response

talked to recruiters, no waivers, not a fat body,

already discussed those things.....just need 60 more credits, and im good to go, God willing

Tennessee Top
11-13-12, 04:08 PM
Not exactly what you're asking about but bases do have thrift stores where you can by used stuff including uniform items. When I retired, I donated most of my uniforms to the base thrift store.

The Marine Corps Exchange (MCX) aboard Paris Island has a used uniform section (gear from recruits who were dropped for whatever reasons).

fl1946
11-14-12, 02:05 PM
Food, household products, furnishings, etc. are good in outlet stores. HOWEVER, with regards to food, canned goods are fine (provided they are not dented, bloated, indicative of e-coli or some other form of bacteria). Package food usually acceptable. For all foods check the Best By (or Use By, Expire By) Date. This is a FRESHNESS Date, to show any time beyond that date the product can still be eaten but it may not taste as fresh. So don't get fooled thinking anything after that date should be avoided or discarded.

Most food products at these stores, Big Lots, 99 Cent Only, come from overstock, remainder inventory. You may find a canned product a year old. If it is a high acid product, i.e., canned oranges, generally o.k. However, for low acid food such as canned corn, check for physical defects. For those of us of the Vietnam era, we were eating C-rats dating back to late 40s - 50s and live to participate in this forum. Hope this helps. Don't eat old canned seafood though. You might get food poisoning!

Semper Fi,