PDA

View Full Version : Cars and driving on base

AIMSP
11-10-12, 06:59 PM
For those living on base, do you need a car to get to your barracks to your MOS? How about going to places such as stores and the gym? For those who drive, whats the average you drive daily? I ask this, as I would like to enlist, and I already own a car (used car to just get me around), and I contemplating whether its worth it to bring it along, and pay for insurance, gas, maintenance; or to just leave at my famiy's home, and walk around base. I realize that many of the bases, are large, yet I believe there divided into sections, so everything that I would really need would be within a few miles. Are there buses inside base?

Thanks for whatever input!!

AIMSP
11-10-12, 10:24 PM
THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!! You're help is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you for the very swift responses. The reason I ask, is I am focused on being the best Marine I can be. I dont want a car just so I can join a video game or Anime club, like many people in the military (other branches, not Marines). I just want so it can help me become a better Marine (being able to access a gym, or constructive extra-curriculars.) I also ask, because I'm trying to save where possible, as I'll have student loans to pay off. I know I can be an officer in any other branches, especially army, where they help with that, but it has always been my dream to serve and enlist in the Marines. It's not like im trying to save on car expenses, so I can spend on booze/electronics and other crap. And it's not like Im studying a useless major. Im studying electrical engineering, which pays well, but no amount of money in the world will ever hold a candle to being a Marine.

Thank you very much for your help USMC1963, and yes, I would really appreciate you emailing the Marine you mentioned earlier.

Thank you very much for your service to our country. It's because of people like you that I live a comfortable life. And I wish you a very Happy Birthday to your Marine Corps.

m14ed
11-11-12, 03:16 AM
IT used to be that personal MOTOR VEHICLES could be driven onbase /once you were Permenantly assigned as long as you had verification that the vehicle was able to meet insurance requirements...

Busses ran the whole base that had troops on it.
Barracks in the boonies to mainside -
EVERY BASE- wing and division...

Not getting overly specific on your question,,,
just GENERAL answer -- YES there's busses.
Some of you transportation is MANDITORY to be provided by the military..You don't get to drive "WILLEY-Nilly"
where you wanna.

From what i remember , ON base busses were free.
Busses to "THE VILLE" and back are civilian , and you pay.

Littlegraybook
11-11-12, 05:18 PM
Hey AIMSP,

I'm the Lance Corporal USMC1963 talked about. Bringing a car to your permanent duty station greatly depends on where you are stationed at. Here at Camp Lejeune, for example, having a car is a MUST. It takes 20-25min to walk from my barracks to the nearest store. It would take me 20-30min for me to walk to where I work everyday if I don't have a car. In addition, there are many times throughout the day when you are asked to be at certain places on base for work... and don't be that guy begging for rides everyday! Like I said before, it really depends on where you are stationed. If you were to have orders for Okinawa, then you really don't need one. I would suggest keeping your car and wait till you get your permanent station to decide if you need to bring it along. The bottom line is, don't be that Marine begging for rides everywhere!

AIMSP
11-11-12, 08:32 PM
Thank you very much Little Gray Book,

Appreciate the information, truly. Do you often see yourself spending a lot on gas, or just about average.

Also, I'm trying to save as much as I can, so If I may ask, how much do you personally spend a month on necessities (haircuts, cleaning products, toiletries, cellphone), excluding car related expenses. I hear that enlisted Marines can easily manage their spending to under 150 dollars a month, without including internet, tv, car expenses.

Also, do you see you or your fellow Marines spending alot on Uniform maintenance, because I heard some Marine grumblings, on how the yearly uniform allowance isn't enough.

I know I mention that I want to save as much as I can, but please don't think that I am some cheap, rotten ba.stard. In fact I would love to start my own philanthropy group after my time in the Corps. I just like save where I can.

Thank you for your service to our country, Little Grey Book!!!

josephd
11-12-12, 12:28 AM
Also, I'm trying to save as much as I can, so If I may ask, how much do you personally spend a month on necessities (haircuts, cleaning products, toiletries, cellphone), excluding car related expenses. I hear that enlisted Marines can easily manage their spending to under 150 dollars a month, without including internet, tv, car expenses.

Also, do you see you or your fellow Marines spending alot on Uniform maintenance, because I heard some Marine grumblings, on how the yearly uniform allowance isn't enough.

If you are smart with your money there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to have your car, all other expenses, have some fun $$, and still be able to save quite a bit.

As for the uniform thing...If you take care of your issued ones and don't put on a bunch of weight requiring you to buy new ones there is no reason you should have to spend much of your uniform allowance if any of it really. Depending on your MOS/job you may go through a few pairs of cammies, other than that the only thing you should have to pay for uniform related should be new rank insignia, alterations(when you get promoted), and ribbons/medals. And that is not much.

Oh!....bring your car if/when you get stationed somewhere here in the states. You do NOT want to be the one stuck in the barracks on a 96 weekend, begging for a ride off base, or when you just want to run to the 7 -day store to pick up a snack and you have a 25 minute walk in the rain/cold vs. a 30 second drive.

AIMSP
11-12-12, 12:48 AM
Thank you Josephd, and to m14ed earlier, for the answer. That really cleared my concerns

I would love for the privelage of serving as a 0311 Marine, and I don't mind for one bit spending on extra PT gear and such. I was just wondering.

I was also wondering on using USAA auto insurance. I already live in Jersey where insurance rates are jacked, so it will be a relief to have USAA in NC, or any other state for that matter, wherever I get stationed.

josephd
11-12-12, 01:16 AM
Thank you Josephd, and to m14ed earlier, for the answer. That really cleared my concerns

I would love for the privelage of serving as a 0311 Marine, and I don't mind for one bit spending on extra PT gear and such. I was just wondering.

I was also wondering on using USAA auto insurance. I already live in Jersey where insurance rates are jacked, so it will be a relief to have USAA in NC, or any other state for that matter, wherever I get stationed.

Yeah you'll spend money on that kind of thing. PT gear(shorts/silkies, skivvy shirts, shoes). And then other comfort items and personal gear. But that still isn't much in the grand scheme of things.

I have USAA insurance, credit card, CD, and savings account. About to refinance my car with them too. They have hooked me up in numerous ways over the last 4 years. Get it!