PDA

View Full Version : Joint Operations with other branches/countries

AIMSP
11-09-12, 11:40 AM
Hello all,

I am newly registered to this site, and this is one of my first posts, yet, I have been lurking here for quite a while. I would like to start off by giving a little info about myself. I am a twenty year old Electrical Engineering student who is looking to earn the privelage on serving in the Marines after college, preferably into Marine Infantry (specifically enlisted, not seeking officer). I love what the Marines are about, and how they protect this great country of ours.

My question is, for any one whoever served in the Marines; how often did you come across and/or work with other branches or foreign countries? I understand everybody has different MOS's/roles, so I would tremendously appreciate you giving us a little of your background.

What was it for? Were you doing an Op together, stationed on base with each other, just passed by each other, etc?

Did you learn anything from anything from them on the fine art of soldiering (or Marining, sorry), or vice-versa?

Did seeing them make you appreciate your decision to serve in the Marine? (I ask this, as I hear many stories of Marines seeing other branches in action, and seeing their lack of standards, Esprit De Corps, professionalism thus making them even more thankful for serving in the Corps.)

At the end of whatever experience you had with any other branch/country, was it a positive, negative, or neutral experience? Please explain why.

Did you Marines exchange anything. Or was it just a good nature rivalry with you. ( I ask, because I heard a story of a group of combat Marines giving their EGAs to army infantry soldiers, as sign of respect for their efforts)

Please share with us stories, and not just observations?

I would truly appreciate any input whatsoever into this question, and please forgive me if my ignorance is offensive to anyone here. Last thing I would want to do is p.iss off anyone who has risked their life defending clueless guys such as myself. Also, I would just like to say that I have the upmost gratitude, admiration and respect for anyone whoever served our country, regardless of branch.

Thank you very much!!!

Rocky C
11-09-12, 05:19 PM
You started the thread with your background and interest in Serving in the " Marine Corps " then throughout your thread you keep using the word " us " and asking ALOT of operational sensitive questions.

Who is "us" and what exactley are you fishing for ?

AIMSP
11-10-12, 05:45 PM
What I meant by 'us' is myself, and all the other possible members who may come across and view this thread.

And I'm sorry if I'm compromising anyone's OPSEC. Please rest assured that I am not a spy. Just a curious wannabe.

The reason I ask questions such as these, is because I rarely hear anyone else talk about them online. I'm sure you're aware that a majority of military online talk these days revolve around whose branch has the best special forces.

I would appreciate whatever answers you can, legally.

Thank you for your service!!

AIMSP
11-10-12, 10:40 PM
Thank you very much USMC1963. I am truly honored by you answering all my questions!

I ask this, because I hear that all the other countries out there love to specifically pick the USMC to send their foreign exchange military personnell.

I also heard stories about how Special Operations Units of other branches loved working with Marine Infantry, saying that they were great support, and how the Marines had way better and accurate Air Support than their own branches.

I read a story online, on how Navy SEALs and Army Special Forces chose to associate and socialize with Marines, over their own branches, when on base together, due to recognizing the Marines' professionalism and warrior ethos second to non.

I was asking if anyone here had stories sorta like these, rather than anything that would require a security clearance, lol.

Thank you very much USMC1963, and thank you for your service to our country!!

thewookie
11-13-12, 12:31 PM
We do a lot of cross training and joint operations with the Brits and the South Koreans. I went over to England and Scotland to cross-train with the British Marines, they do this to this day - I was just PMing with somebody who's son is there now. After we go there they usually come here for a month or two to work with us here. I'm pretty sure we do it with a few other countries, too. The Australian's come to mind. I know we do work in South America too, Colombian Marines for example -- I was just reading an article about that.

My personal experience with the Brits was great, they like to train hard, party, and train hard. We exchange idea's, training methods and pints!

thewookie
11-13-12, 02:10 PM
So it is very common. I thought it kind of rare.
OP should get a few more responses, then, from other eras too.

It happens, but you are right there is such a small percentage of Marines that actually get involved in these joint ops that you probably wont find many that can/will talk firsthand about it. The Brits, to my knowledge, only exchange with members of FAST (Small community.) I don't think it's rare that it happens, not today anyhow -- but it's rare to find people who have. ;)

Rocky C
11-13-12, 03:00 PM
I have many times Mike but as you know, I can't and will not talk about it.

To AIMSP, sorry if I came across as harsh but with questions like that I had to do a little proding on the intention of your questions.

If you look at my profile you will understand.

Welcome to the Forum.

Tennessee Top
11-13-12, 03:52 PM
Was in South Korea for Operation Team Spirit-90. Everyone has heard how hard Republic of Korea (ROK) Marines are and they lived up to their reputation in my eyes anyway. Don't remember the name of the camp we stayed at for the training exercise but their were ROK Marines just outside the wire. We were in our GP tents and still in our cold-weather sleeping bags (before revellie or the sun came up) every morning when the company of ROK Marines would run by in formation chanting and calling cadence just to let us know how "soft" us U.S. Marines were (it was below zero outside at that time of the day and I have never been as cold as I was during my short time in South Korea). Impressed the hell out of me!

AIMSP
11-13-12, 08:28 PM
Thanks to all for enlightining a naive civilian, such as myself on these matters. That's really awesome, TheWookie, on how you served in FAST, and with the Brits.

And that's awesome how many Marines went to Spain en masse during your time, USMC1963. I never knew that. Really cool to hear.

Hey RockyC, its no problem whatsoever. You have every right to be suspicious, especially how I am a new member and this is one of my first posts. After your your first response, I toured your profile, and I suddenly felt stupid. I'm sure you have answers to questions I don't even know to ask.

And yea, Tennesse Top, I used to practice Tae Kwon Do, and I would often hear how those guys are PT animals (whole Korean Military), and were very skilled in Martial Arts. And rightfully so, as they border one a country with one of history's most evil regimes.

Overall, thanks for these responses everybody, and thanks for making me feel welcome. Truly appreciated!

AIMSP
11-13-12, 08:43 PM
I beg your pardon; what's a skeleton crew?

AIMSP
11-13-12, 09:32 PM
appreciate it 63. I figured as much, I just thought it may have a different meaning in the military. Thank you, Sir!!

AIMSP
11-13-12, 09:52 PM
yes. yes. yes. yes.

I love hearing tid bits like that. I live for learning nuances and meaning behind things like that.

Is that really were the term derives, in the Marine sense, 63?

really awesome how you can just spit golden knowledge like that.

Thank you, sir!!

AIMSP
11-13-12, 10:03 PM
aw, then LMAO + ROFL, good joke! :thumbup::thumbup: (some cliche for my approval, in homage to your signature:)

s4m222
11-16-12, 05:56 AM
At any joint service base you will see Marines, soldiers, airmen, seamen all working about. <br />
<br />
this is just my narrow opinion. from my experience on a jointbase. <br />
<br />
Marines - we arent the perfect...