PDA

View Full Version : Marine Infantry vs Army Infantry

AIMSP
11-08-12, 09:35 PM
Hello all,

I am newly registered to this site, and this is my first post, yet, I have been lurking here for quite a while. I would like to start off by giving a little info about myself. I am a twenty year old Electrical Engineering student who is looking to earn the privelage on serving in the Marines after college, preferably into Marine Infantry (specifically enlisted, not seeking officer). I love what the Marines are about, and how they protect this great country of ours.

My question is what separates Army Infantry from Marine Infantry. I know this topic has been beat to death all over the internet, and I know the that the Marines maintain way higher physical, mental, leadership, and Esprit De Corps standards over the Army, in all aspects. What I am interested in knowing is the tactics protocol, and procedures. For example, do Marine and Army Infantry squads use different tactics and procedures, for things such as storming a building, etc. I know that they are two different branches, but as Infantry men, do they have similar approaches in their craft, or do the two branches have different philosohpies.

I ask this, as every time I try to look online for these answers, all I see is who has the tougher boot camp, better special forces, better history, better promotion, etc.

I would truly appreciate any input whatsoever into this question, and please forgive me if my ignorance is offensive to anyone here. Last thing I would want to do is **** off anyone who has risked their life defending clueless guys such as myself:). Also, I would just like to say that I have the upmost gratitude, admiration and respect for anyone whoever served our country, regardless of branch.

Thank you very much!!!

josephd
11-08-12, 09:52 PM
Marines are an infiltrating force, Army is a holding force.

AIMSP
11-08-12, 09:59 PM
I appreciate the quick response josephd, but that doesn't answer anything about tactics, just roles. Think of it like this, a QB's role in football is to throw the ball, but techniques include reading defenses (Cover two, three zone, etc.)

josephd
11-08-12, 10:04 PM
I appreciate the quick response josephd, but that doesn't answer anything about tactics, just roles. Think of it like this, a QB's role in football is to throw the ball, but techniques include reading defenses (Cover two, three zone, etc.)

I know that's what you were looking for in an answer. I didn't respond with that because it doesn't and shouldn't matter to you.

Do you want to be a Marine or a soldier?

AIMSP
11-08-12, 10:10 PM
Thank you for the quick response and yes, I would love to be a Marine, and to also be the best Marine I can be. Yet may I ask why it matters. If one is willing to put themselves in harm's way, is it such a sin just to know such things. I am very confident that the Marines provide you everything you need to succeed in combat, yet. Im just simply curious.

Thank you for your service to our country!!

Zulu 36
11-09-12, 03:53 AM
Tactics. Marines do amphibious operations, the Army doesn't. Marines tend to be more aggressive on offense, do not like to be on defense (but are tenacious in defense).

Marine rifle squads have three, 4-man fireteams. Army squads have two, 5-man teams. Armament is similar.

The basic tactics are similar. Movement to contact and battle movements are alike in most respects (individual, fireteam, and squad rushes, overwatch, base of fire, envelopment, etc). Specific tactics are determined by the situation in both branches. Sometime stealth, sometimes maximum noise and violence.

I could write a book on these things, but such books already exist. The details of infantry tactics are extensive.

This is the mission of a Marine rifle squad: To seek out, engage with, and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver.

AIMSP
11-09-12, 11:00 AM
Thank you very much, ZULU, overall, how similar would the Army Infantry and Marine Infantry manual be? And you're answer was very informative.

Zulu 36
11-09-12, 11:39 AM
Thank you very much, ZULU, overall, how similar would the Army Infantry and Marine Infantry manual be? And you're answer was very informative.

There is no ONE manual on infantry tactics and training in either branch. Google is your friend in this case.

AIMSP
11-09-12, 11:45 AM
Aw, I see. Thank you!