PDA

View Full Version : I would greatly appreciate some feed back and personal opinions..

JazzNbell
11-07-12, 08:09 PM
Needless to say in 4 weeks I'll be 28 years old, I have a great job and two wonderful children. 10 years ago I was sworn in and apart of the DEP. The only left to do was graduate high school which I didn't. Lots of my friends were enlisted and they all went and some are out and some are still in. Every know an then I always wonder "what if". Over the past year a couple of my buddys I was enlisted with were injured over seas and it has brought a spark back to my heart. I feel like I owe my country and I should be doing something about it.

I know the cut-off for active duty is 28yrs old, but reserves is 29. My biggest concern is leaving my great job I already have and spending time away from my children as I'm sure thousands of Marines do everyday. I guess I'm in a mid-life crisis. A part of me is willing to sacrifice my great job and time away from family to be a part of a brother hood I should of taken advantage of a long time ago. I'm just very indecisive right now, looking for some sort of direction, and I thought this would be the only place to get an honest answer..

Can I still hold rights at my current employer (Union shop) by enlisting? I know there's federal laws protecting those that are already enlisted but what about those that aren't and are wanting to? The other thing is my age, I'm aware that it is possible someone 10 yrs younger than me might be telling me what to do and I'm ok with that, but is 28 to old to enlist?

Lisa 23
11-07-12, 08:39 PM
Thread closed until you have a complete profile besides a first and last name......site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums. When profile is complete, PM any Squad Leader from the Squad Leaders sticky in the Ask A Marine forum and thread will be re-opened.

Lisa 23
11-07-12, 10:34 PM
Profile filled out......thread re-opened.

josephd
11-07-12, 11:30 PM
Personally I think 28 years is too old to be enlisting, not to mention the fact you have a family to take care of, you will be joining a peace time/garrison mode Marine Corps. You will be a 28/29 year old boot PFC/LCpl, I would not want to be that. I am turning 28 in a few weeks, I can honestly say I would not want to be in the Corps anymore if I wasn't about to get promoted to Cpl. and if I hadn't deployed this last year.

Joining the Marine Corps is not going to fix this so called mid life crisis you said you are going through. What will it fix?...as a reservist you will come back to the same life you had before only with more responsibility and obligations to the Corps.

This is just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

JazzNbell
11-08-12, 01:07 AM
The Biggest thing it will fix is the calling I'm recieving. Everyone has there own reasons and calling to the Marine Corps and I'm trying to set my feelings aside to accomplish a life long dream. I've always wanted to join the Marines and now I have more of reason than ever. The age is what concerns me the most I guess. Thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated and have a happy birthday coming up.

Personally I think 28 years is too old to be enlisting, not to mention the fact you have a family to take care of, you will be joining a peace time/garrison mode Marine Corps. You will be a 28/29 year old boot PFC/LCpl, I would not want to be that. I am turning 28 in a few weeks, I can honestly say I would not want to be in the Corps anymore if I wasn't about to get promoted to Cpl. and if I hadn't deployed this last year.

Joining the Marine Corps is not going to fix this so called mid life crisis you said you are going through. What will it fix?...as a reservist you will come back to the same life you had before only with more responsibility and obligations to the Corps.

This is just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

Lisa 23
11-09-12, 06:55 AM
I deleted your other thread asking the same questions. Double posting is NOT allowed. DO NOT start another thread on these questions looking for more answers.

Hamelink83
11-09-12, 08:12 AM
Look at yourself in the mirror and honestly ask yourself if the Marine Corps is worth sacrificing your family or life as you know it for. If you can without hesitation answer "yes" to that question then you have your answer.

JazzNbell
11-09-12, 12:54 PM
Bottom line, though, if this thread is 100% legit?----do whatever you feel YOU need to do, not what we think...we're not living your life-----whatever you have a strong urge to do, if it is thought out in a serious way, you will make the decision that is best for you with your exact circumstances in mind.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I appreciate every word of knowledge from the both of you. I can honestly say my heart burns to be a Marine and if it means packing up and relocating my family as well as being away from them than thats what I have to do. I dont want to live life in regret and wonder what if. I have a few major questions about enlisting. I am speaking with a recruiter today and will be honored to keep you all posted on my future. Thanks again.