PDA

View Full Version : Need advice in reference to a possession charge

sdesantis
11-07-12, 04:13 PM
hello, my name is steven D. I was almost about to go to MEPS when I discovered I had a possession charge. I know sounds weird that I wouldnt know but I am not very smart when it comes to legal terms....

Lisa 23
11-07-12, 05:04 PM
Know one here knows what your chances of getting a waiver will be. All I can suggest is be very persistant with your recruiter and get all documents pertaining to your possession charge.

Rocky C
11-07-12, 05:10 PM
1. You should have disclosed EVERYTHING to your Recruiter. <br />
2. You knew you had a charge of possession because you said it in your post. <br />
3. In todays day and age in the Marine Corps chances are slim...

sdesantis
11-07-12, 05:43 PM
Thank both of you for your services and for the replies. I did disclose this to my recruiter and the fact that I was not ever made aware of this charge being on my record. I should have taken the...

sdesantis
11-07-12, 05:51 PM
and I know its not likely to happen but I cant imagine they are accepting absolutely zero waivers when I hear about people being waved for multiple possessions if not far worse crimes.

sdesantis
11-09-12, 01:44 PM
So I hate to be that guy who's only volunteering for self-benefit but that is the case. I work a lot, I go to school and I do not have a lot of money (neither does my family.) I recently realized that a juvenile possession on my record would require a waiver. My question is: will me volunteering actually help make my application look better? Do they care what your volunteer work is? (I was thinking volunteer fireman however if they dont really care or look at it I'd prefer to take up this interest some other time because it is very time consuming)

Any other volunteer ideas?

Thank you

DrZ
11-09-12, 02:05 PM
It never hurts to volunteer when you are attempting to join. As far as the juvenile possession charge...hopefully it was a while ago. Recruiters will work on waivers and that bit of history will...

sdesantis
11-09-12, 02:41 PM
Yes sir I have, this was awhile ago and I was stupid as a kid. Trust me if I could go back I wouldn't have done what I did. I lacked direction and now as an adult I'm really paying for it. Thanks for the reply.

sdesantis
11-10-12, 12:37 PM
So my recruiter told me to get references, he said ask some varsity coaches and whatever to which I told him unfortunately I never played sports on an official team. Sure I love sports and I play all different types but i was never really interested in doing it officially on a team. What other references look good? He suggested an employer but I can only get 2 of those to write me a good reccomendation (I havnt had that many "on the books" jobs)

Rocky C
12-09-12, 04:09 PM
1. Parents
2. Teachers
3. Clergy
4. People in your community.
5. Other Marines you may know.

In other words everyone you know that has Good Things to say about you.

Also in your other question, volunteering at your local VA Hospital would be a Great Thing to do not only for you but for Our Veterans that could use some help walking to clinic appts. or wheeling them from thier vehicles to the check in desk, etc, etc.

You can ask where to apply to be a volunteer at the front check in desk.

sdesantis
12-09-12, 09:10 PM
Thank you for the reply sir. I already have letters from my current professors as well as my employer. I'm going to a soup kitchen tomorrow to see if I can volunteer daily there and I'm also stopping by the local vfw. VA hospital never crossed my mind, definately going to look into that tomorrow as well.

Tennessee Top
12-10-12, 11:19 AM
The hospital I work at has a volunteer auxillary. They do an outstanding job every day but I've never noticed any young people (the volunteers I see are retired/senior citizen types). This is a great idea and very worthwhile especially for the patients who need the help.

Good luck.

sdesantis
12-11-12, 01:48 PM
Checking back in after doing some volunteer work today. I was sitting around trying to find out who else can give me a letter. So far I have 2 college professors and my current employer. I know I'll get one from the place im volunteering at so that makes 3 total, who else could i ask though? I'm drawing a blank here and my recruiter hasn't offered me any other ideas. I do not play sports nor did I in high school and I never did any extra-cirricular programs or activities so there is no one related to those I could ask. My family and I also do not attend church so that rules out another potential for a letter. Not sure what to do here, I appreciate any help this is really stressing me out.

Rocky C
12-11-12, 03:47 PM
Do you know any Police Officers ?
Do you know any Politicians ?
Do you know any Former Active Duty or Active Duty Marines ?

sdesantis
12-11-12, 04:20 PM
My uncle is a lieutenant in the state police. I considered that however I was unsure if it would matter that he is family? I know most references are supposed to be out of family. And I do know a couple active duty Marines but not on a close enough level for them to write me a reference. If I had anticipated this trust me I would have been on every team and every club available in high school.

Rocky C
12-11-12, 04:32 PM
Get everything you can and even if it's Family, they know you best and you can argue that point even if they think it's biased.

Keep going !!!

sdesantis
12-11-12, 04:43 PM
Thanks Marine, will do. one more thing, what would you think about a friend/s that have known me my entire life?

Tennessee Top
12-11-12, 04:51 PM
Thanks man, will do. one more thing, what would you think about a friend/s that have known me my entire life?

You meant to say, thank you, sir. Showing respect on this site to those willing to help you goes a long way. We don't have to do it you know.

sdesantis
12-11-12, 05:11 PM
I do apologize I could have sworn I typed sir but I see that I didn't, I'm writing a term paper at the same time and was switching between this and that. Once again I thank everyone for your replies and USMC1963 I will send you a pm asap.