PDA

View Full Version : Downsizing?

Turbo
11-06-12, 11:11 PM
Good-evening Marines,

As of now, Obama has been elected for a second term. I've been hearing talk of downsizing in the Armed Forces. So how would that effect me, as a wannabe? Would it make it harder for me to enlist? Or would it only make it harder for people with a criminal record, tattoos, other waiverable conditions?

Thanks in advance.

gkmoz
11-06-12, 11:22 PM
Or would it only make it harder for people with a criminal record, tattoos, other waiverable conditions?

Probably make it easier for that kind ?

josephd
11-06-12, 11:41 PM
Regardless of Obama's policy on defense budget and down sizing of the armed forces, the Marine Corps is downsizing back into a peacetime and more expeditionary service(which we are supposed to be). Right now and for the next few years until things settle down within the Corps, enlisting will be tough.

Lisa 23
11-07-12, 06:48 AM
Young man, there's a curfew for those of you who are still in high school.

Curfew during school nights.......and during school hours
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?28477-Curfew-during-school-nights-and-during-school-hours/page2

MOS4429
11-07-12, 10:32 AM
In all honesty...after the election yesterday, my advice to any young man or woman contemplating enlisting is: DON'T.

m14ed
11-07-12, 03:40 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/image.php?u=85610&dateline=1352303582
Agreed

Hammer
11-07-12, 03:51 PM
I agree as well! The military is an honorable thing, but I wouldn't recommend it at this time.

Turbo
11-08-12, 07:43 PM
I appreciate all of the feedback, but joining the Marines is something that I've wanted to do since i was a Freshman in High School, So if I do enlist, what will be different from right now?

Lisa 23
11-08-12, 07:46 PM
So if I do enlist, what will be different from right now?

No one can really answer that, we can't predict the future.

Turbo
11-08-12, 07:48 PM
I totally understand, stupid question. My apologies on the after curfew post also.

josephd
11-08-12, 08:39 PM
I appreciate all of the feedback, but joining the Marines is something that I've wanted to do since i was a Freshman in High School, So if I do enlist, what will be different from right now?

I'll go ahead and look into my crystal ball and say yes. The Marine Corps will be much different going back into a "peace time"/garrison mode. The last 10 years have been spent training and deploying, training and deploying, training and deploying, etc....In the next few years it'll change(it already is changing) to just training, playing games(not the fun ones), and standing by. Yes there will still be deployments going out and places for Marines to go but it won't be combat deployments and they won't be as "cool".

Tennessee Top
11-09-12, 04:52 PM
Iran is the big elephant in the room. Something will have to happen at some point and they don't show any signs of stopping their nuclear programs. If it does turn into a shooting war, looks like the Air Force and Navy will be the prime players targeting the nuclear bunkers and defense installations. Also, the USMC has turned its focus to the Asian Pacific region (but, Iran is a maritime nation).