PDA

View Full Version : After boot camp

kymarinefriend
10-31-12, 08:56 AM
Could you please give me some gift ideas for a recruit who will be graduating in December for Christmas? I'm not sure what he will need in the next 4 years and don't want to get him things he won't be able to take with him where ever he may end up after bootcamp. I'm not sure what the military issues. Do they need to purchase ponchos and that type of thing?

Lisa 23
10-31-12, 08:59 AM
Thread closed until you have a complete profile besides a first and last name....site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums. When profile is complete, PM any Squad Leader from the Squad Leaders sticky in the Ask A Marine forum and thread will be re-opened.

Lisa 23
10-31-12, 12:12 PM
Profile complete....thread re-opened.

Rocky C
10-31-12, 02:49 PM
There are gifts you can buy for your Marine right on this Forum.
The links are on the home page.

kymarinefriend
10-31-12, 02:58 PM
Thank you for the information. I appreciate you getting back with me.

MOS4429
11-01-12, 12:15 PM
Personally, I wouldn't buy him anything "Marine" because the Marine Corps will issue what he needs. Now, eventually he may need replacement stuff. Heading off to MOS school, he won't need to much. T-shirts are good. A good pair of running shoes is good, too.

kymarinefriend
11-01-12, 01:35 PM
Thank you for that advice. Do they need a watch? I know a lot of the young men carry phones now as a clock and I didn't know if they could during MOS. Would that help them any.

kymarinefriend
11-01-12, 02:02 PM
Thank you for responding. I as thinking of a water resistant watch with a rubber band for everyday use but I wasn't sure if they could wear them with their uniform.

MOS4429
11-01-12, 02:20 PM
It sure would help, yes---and I think by "Marine things" MOS4429 may mean issued items only---I just asked him.....

Maybe the person in question already has a nice watch, but that would be a great idea for a gift.

Correct, definitely not Marine Corps issued items.

But also the OP mentioned a poncho. I was not issued a poncho as original issue, but when checking in, the local command has you check out certain items, like field jackets, ponchos, etc.

One thing they did not issue, though, was a poncho liner. Those are great items, not so much to line your poncho with, but to use on the beach!!!

MOS4429
11-01-12, 02:22 PM
Oh, and a watch is a great idea. I was given a nice one with a gold band. Not the greatest. The band broke, and the crystal cracked. I am rough on watches. I wear a G-Shock now. Works great and has lasted a while.

kymarinefriend
11-01-12, 02:24 PM
lol Thank you, you Marines are helping me a lot. I wasn't sure what was needed or allowed.