PDA

View Full Version : Interested in Marines

Lupe16
10-29-12, 04:27 PM
Hi I'm a girl interested in the Marines 100% but i have a few questions that websites haven't been able to answer. I would like to know what the difference between reserve and active duty Marines. I've heard reserve marines get viewed as differently. I want to attend college and do the Marines are the same time so I don't know which one is best to choose. If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Lisa 23
10-29-12, 04:39 PM
Moved to the Ask A Marine forum.

Thread closed until you have a complete profile besides a first and last name....site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums. When profile is complete, PM any Squad Leader from the Squad Leaders sticky in the Ask A Marine forum and thread will be re-opened.

Lisa 23
10-29-12, 05:04 PM
Profile complete....thread re-opened.

Lupe16
10-29-12, 05:05 PM
Thank you. I am new to this and wasn't quite sure how it worked.

Tennessee Top
10-30-12, 08:18 PM
Reserve Marines stay in their hometown and drill one weekend a month. Each summer, they go on active duty training for two weeks then come back home. That's why they're viewed differently. On active duty, you leave home permanently and are a Marine 24/7.

You can go to college on active duty but it would have to be at nights and on weekends so you would only be a part time student (your job as a Marine would take priority). Completing your degree this way would take longer but it is possible (I did it on active duty). You can also use tuition assistance to pay for school.

As a reservist, you stay home and go to college fulltime. You would still have the obligation of making your drill weekends and the two weeks summer training. You would complete your degree a lot faster and there is money available to help pay for tuition.

You can talk to a recruiter when you're a junior in highschool. They will be able to answer all your questions about active duty and the reserves as well as money for college.

P.S., the word Marine is always capitalized (as is the word I).