PDA

View Full Version : Enlisting with college degree question

gmcgowan24
10-17-12, 05:06 PM
I have searched the forums for this and it seems like I am in a different position than most posts i've come across and was hoping someone can put me in the right direction...

I am graduating this fall from Penn State with a bachelors in Criminal Justice. I have my Eagle Scout, 5 Semesters of Arabic under my belt, and a first class PFT.

I have visited Marine Officer Recruiters and have not gotten to far because my GPA is only about a 3.0. After trying for two years it has gone no where on the officer side. I reached out to the enlisted side and went down to MEPS last week. Cleared medical and got a 84 on my ASVAB. Only problem was i have to wait for my Tattoo waiver to clear before i can enter the DEP, which shouldn't be a problem.

If i follow through and go the enlisted route (03xx), will i end up regretting it in a few years? My ultimate goal is to become a Marine Officer. Is the Enlisted Commissioning Program something I can realistically achieve? Any Help or advice would be very grateful!

Thank You Very Much,
Gerry McGowan

josephd
10-17-12, 06:02 PM
You definitely won't regret enlisting but enlisting is NOT a stepping stone to become an officer. And don't think you'll be a better officer because you have enlisted experience.

ECP(enlisted commissioning program) is NOT a realistically achievable goal. Especially through the 03 field where it will take you 2 enlistments just to pick up enough rank to be eligible. In order to even be considered for ECP you need to be a $hit hot Marine and be a senior Sgt. or SNCO. I am not telling you that you can't do it but it is not something that you should be enlisting for and for alone.

gmcgowan24
10-17-12, 06:52 PM
I want to graduate and become a Marine. Since the officer side seems to be shut down, it seems like Enlisting is my best option. I havent been able to talk to many marines who have had college degrees and enlisted. I figured being enlisted, and eventually obtaining my Masters will only make me more marketable for Federal Jobs like Homeland Security etc, if becoming a Officer doesnt pull through.

Thank you for the help,
Gerry McGowan

josephd
10-17-12, 07:26 PM
I have to correct my original response.You were asking about ECP(enlisted commissioning program) and I was thinking of MECEP. ECP is easier than MECEP but still difficult. I still want to make the same point though, enlisting is NOT a stepping stone to be becoming an officer. If that is your ultimate goal then stick to that.

josephd
10-17-12, 07:33 PM
And just a personal note. My original plan was I was 20/21 was to commission after I was supposed to graduate in 2006. Well long story short...I quit school, enlisted in the reserves, been on a deployment, and now going back to school. I thoroughly enjoy being enlisted. Especially now being a "senior/salty LCpl."(pickinb up Cpl. in January) and I have some experience under my belt and hold an NCO billet. I wouldn't trade the last 4 years in the Corps for anything now.

gmcgowan24
10-17-12, 09:35 PM
Thanks alot, that helped alot. It always helps hearing from Marines other than my recruiters

Thanks Again

MunkyVsRobot
10-19-12, 05:11 PM
You definitely won't regret enlisting but enlisting is NOT a stepping stone to become an officer. And don't think you'll be a better officer because you have enlisted experience.

ECP(enlisted commissioning program) is NOT a realistically achievable goal. Especially through the 03 field where it will take you 2 enlistments just to pick up enough rank to be eligible. In order to even be considered for ECP you need to be a $hit hot Marine and be a senior Sgt. or SNCO. I am not telling you that you can't do it but it is not something that you should be enlisting for and for alone.

From what I understand you can put in a package at anytime for officer, you do need to find someone to help you with the package though.. Why 03? I dont get why so many people on these forums want to be infantry? No disrespect to the Marines who have done their time in the **** I thank you guys for going there so I dont have to but if you go into another other MOS you set yourself up for stuff outside of the Corps as well not that you dont as an 03 but ask any 03 that is getting out their joints are **** there back is **** a lot of 03's lat move after as well because they get tired of the crap that they have to go through as an 03 I have 3 former 03 sgts that are in school with me now they obviously wouldnt trade their experiences for the world but they are much happier with the creature comforts they have now.

josephd
10-19-12, 05:27 PM
From what I understand you can put in a package at anytime for officer

yeah for ECP you can, when I posted that I was thinking of MECEP

Gunstream
10-20-12, 10:22 PM
I agree with josephd. The only way being enlisted is a good stepping stone to becoming an officer is if you go the Warrant Officer route. Let me ask you, what would put your GPA in a solid standing to go before the board for review? Is it feasible to take more courses that interest you after your graduation until you can raise your GPA to an acceptable level? I know the Marine Corps doesn't really care, but it would seem that a 3.0 from a credible university such as Penn State would be better than a 3.5 from a school nobody has ever heard of.