PDA

View Full Version : Enlisted Aircrew Questions

Jtyson
10-15-12, 11:28 AM
At the current moment, I have a medical waiver for a removed testicle in process. I have yet to actually swear in or begin my DEP process. Im not interested in information related to that area. What I do want to know about is the process one would take to end up a "crew chief". Is it possible for a Poole to become one? Is there currently a rank limit? Information along those lines. Pour it all in and dont forget the gravy, I want to know what I can. I am aware it isnt what video games make it to be, just trying to move in a positive direction in life.

al Shabazz
10-16-12, 07:17 PM
Sign up for a Crew Chief MOS. Crew Chiefs run from Private to Gunnery Sergeant. Once you pick up Master Sergeant and on to Master Gunnery Sergeant (if you choose that route) you become a Maintenance Chief, which is basically the senior enlisted Maintenance Marine in your squadron (there are other billets you could also serve).
Crew Chiefs are some BAMFs. That bird is their bird no matter what the rank of the officer flying it. You are expected to be calm and cool under all situations and in addition to knowing how to work on the engine of the bird and operate the crew-served weapon systems, you will also need to become a jack of all trades in that bird. If there is anything going on aside from the actual flying, you need to at least have a basic understanding of what's going on aboard. I'm sure an actual crew chief could get on here and be a little more precise in the answering but that should at least get ya started.