PDA

View Full Version : I'm Canadian and I want to join the Marines

oorahoolala29
10-12-12, 11:12 PM
Hi, I'm Canadian, 18 years old, and very motivated to join the Marines. I have always had a sense of pride for all of my friends that are in the Military; Canadian and American. They say what you do during the time you're procrastinating, is what you should be doing with your life. What do I do? Look at Marine photographs, read motivational quotes, watch Military movies, and follow numerous Marine blogs.

Currently, I'm about 45 minutes from the Michigan border and after having done some research, I found out that recruiters will not ship to Canada. My question to whoever may be answering this is, will I still be able to join without a Green Card? What would the process be?

Once again, as I said earlier. I'm motivated. I have contacted a Marine who is also a friend of mine and he said he would introduce me to his old recruiter so I could obtain further information. I, however, want to be a little ahead so I know what to expect when I meet with him.

Any help would be appreciated! Please and thank you for your help, and to everyone who has served, or is serving.

Zulu 36
10-13-12, 08:56 AM
You must be a permanent resident (Green Card) or a US citizen to join any branch of the US military, by law. Also, recruiters cannot assist anyone in becoming a permanent resident or citizens. They likewise cannot deal with people who do not live in the US.

oorahoolala29
10-13-12, 01:43 PM
Not to burst through your bubble here, but the friend of mine who is introducing me to his old recruiter was also a Canadian citizen when he joined. No offence or anything but I would prefer an answer from an actual recruiter. Thank you, anyways.

ChuckH
10-13-12, 01:48 PM
So WHY did you post the question on here if you didn't want an answer ?
Quote "My question to whoever may be answering this is, will I still be able to join without a Green Card? What would the process be? " End of Quote
BTW
Please fill out your profile completely.
Site rules.
Thread Locked.
Contact any Squad Leader to reopen thread when profile is complete.

Lisa 23
10-13-12, 01:57 PM
Not to burst through your bubble here, but the friend of mine who is introducing me to his old recruiter was also a Canadian citizen when he joined. No offence or anything but I would prefer an answer from an actual recruiter. Thank you, anyways.

Not to burst your bubble, but if you want answers from an actual recruiter, go and talk with one face-to-face. The Marines here can only give you advice on what to do.

US Military Standards
Citizenship
In order to join the US Military, you must either be a US citizen, or you must be a legal permanent immigrant, physically living in the United States, with a green card. The US military cannot and will not assist with the immigration process. If you are not a US citizen, you must legally and permanently immigrate to the United States first, via the regular immigration procedures and quotas, establish a residence, and then (if you meet the other qualifying criteria (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/enlstandards.htm)), visit a military recruiter's office and apply for enlistment.

For enlistment purposes, citizens of the United States include citizens of: Guam, Puerto Rico, The U.S. Virgin Islands,The Northern Marianas Islands, American Samoa, The Federated States of Micronesia, and The Republic of the Marshall Islands.

Not all legal immigrants may be eligible to enlist. Applicants who have been residents of countries considered hostile to the interests of the United States require a waiver. See your local recruiter for the most current list of countries considered hostile to the interests of the United States.

While non-citizens may enlist, they will find their job choices extremely limited. DOD policy prohibits granting security clearances to non-U.S. Citizens. Therefore, non-Citizens. who enlist in the United States military will be limited to those jobs which do not require a security clearance.

For legal immigrants who do enlist, there are accelerated citizenship procedures for non-citizens on active duty. For details, see our article, Becoming a Citizen in the US Military (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyroom/a/citizenship.htm).

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/enlcitizen.htm

Can a non-U.S. Citizen join the United States Military?

Question: Can a non-U.S. Citizen join the United States Military?

Answer: Yes. A non-citizen can enlist in the military. However, federal law prohibits non-citizens from becoming commission or warrant officers.
In order for a non-citizen to enlist in the military, he/she must first be a legal immigrant (with a green card), permamently residing in the United States. It's important to note that the military cannot and will not assist in the immigration process. One must immigrate first, using normal immigration quotas and procedures, and -- once they've established an address in the United States -- they can find a recruiter's office and apply for enlistment.
For details, see our article, Enlistment Qualification Standards (http://usmilitary.about.com/library/weekly/aa082701a.htm)

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/f/noncitizen.htm

Lisa 23
10-13-12, 02:00 PM
DanM....oorahoolala29's profile is filled out. Thread re-opened.

oorahoolala29
10-13-12, 02:04 PM
"Not to burst your bubble, but if you want answers from an actual recruiter, go and talk with one face-to-face. The Marines here can only give you advice on what to do."

Jeez, if I was allowed out of the hospital now instead of 3 weeks from today.. I would contact a recruiter! As for posting my question. I posted it because the group that I posted it in was said to be handled by two actual recruiters. Also your other answer that was from the website.. already read that.

Lisa 23
10-13-12, 02:18 PM
Easy with your tone there, young lady. No one here knew you were in the hospital.
You came here looking for answers to your questions, and you're not liking the answers that have been given to you so far.
When you do get out of the hospital, go and talk with a recruiter.