PDA

View Full Version : Question for Officer Selection Officer

usmcrobiebetsy
10-11-12, 11:37 AM
I desire to be a Marine Officer. I believe I have the leadership and other skills necessary for this position. I would like to know if I would be a good candidate for a Marine Officer. Here are my circumstances:

Married for 2 years
We are expecting a child in Nov. 2012
I am 24 years of age (July 25 1988 DOB)
I do have a 4 year college degree but from a Bible college, so not sure if it is accredited by the state.
If the above college degree is not accepted I am willing to obtain a degree if I will not be too old after completion.
I have a clean criminal record. No illegal or legal drugs.
Strong physically, emotionally, mentally.

I would really appreciate a response from anyone that can help. My question is: Is it possible for someone in my situation to become a USMC Officer?

Thank you for your service and response.

josephd
10-11-12, 12:38 PM
Go talk to the OSO in your area...

All we can do here is give personal opinions. I have been through the OCS/PLC selection process before, only advice I can give is that you need to be running a 276+ PFT. One thing you also need to keep in mind, being that you already have a college degree(if they accept it?) you will be going to OCS via. OCC(officers candidate course) which is for college graduates. Right now OCC slots are for reserve officers only and will be this way until the end of fiscal year 2014.

Tennessee Top
10-12-12, 11:55 AM
Right...go see your OSO and good luck.

usmcrobiebetsy
10-12-12, 11:17 PM
Thank you Marines for the replies.

I talked to the OSO today and they were very helpful.

Unfortunately, my college is not accepted. I have looked into several on-line colleges that are approved, and was wondering if what I got a degree in mattered. I am a very technical person and am a mechanic by trade, so if I completed a mechanical engineering degree would that necessarially put me in a certain MOS as a Marine. Does anyone have any suggestion as to what field of degree I should pursue. I am also thinking what would be helpful after the Marine Corps if I do not retire from the Corps.

Also, should I do the 2 six-week PLC while in college or graduate and then go to OCC? Or are they essentially the same just different scheduling?

Any additional information that you may think helpful would be greatly appreciated. Thank You Marines

josephd
10-12-12, 11:25 PM
Your degree does not matter, get something that you'll be interested in though so it'll keep you motivated to go to school.

If you are going to go back to school I would suggest going with PLC. OCC right now and for the next few years is for reserve slots only, no active duty. PLC, if you get selected/contracted will guarantee you an active duty slot and can also guarantee you an air, ground, or law contract. PLC is also easier to get selected for.

usmcrobiebetsy
10-15-12, 12:17 AM
Thank you for your reply. I am starting this January to complete a degree in Homeland Security, unless it changes. I have been reading online and it states that you can attend PLC after your first semester, so hopefully I will be able to go this summer for my first 6 week course. My biggest concern now is when do I get my medical done to ensure that I meet all the physical requirements (vision, hearing, joint movement, etc.) I just don't want to get a degree just to find out after 4 years that I am am disqualified. Seems to me I would get one before PLC.

How difficult is it to be selected for PLC? What categories do they look at to select from canidates for PLC?

Thanks Marines

Lisa 23
10-15-12, 07:56 AM
COMMISSIONING PROGRAMS

http://www.marines.com/becoming-a-marine/commissioning-programs/four-year-colleges/platoon-leaders-class

usmcrobiebetsy
10-15-12, 06:44 PM
Thank you for that link it helped out alot.

How hard is it to be accepted into PLC? I'm 24, no criminal record, good morals, can do the 100 situps, 15 pullups but I can get those up pretty easily, and can run the 3 miles in around 21:00. This would be PLC between my freshman and sophmore year.

josephd
10-15-12, 07:06 PM
Thank you for that link it helped out alot.

How hard is it to be accepted into PLC? I'm 24, no criminal record, good morals, can do the 100 situps, 15 pullups but I can get those up pretty easily, and can run the 3 miles in around 21:00. This would be PLC between my freshman and sophmore year.

PLC combined is going away, you will probably be pushed into doing PLC split. This is where you go twice. Once in between each school year...freshmen/sophomore and junior/senior.

PLC is easier(relatively) than OCC but still VERY competitive. I will tell you right now your chances of passing board and getting contracted with only 15 pullups and a 21 minute 3 mile are slim. You need to be maxing out pull ups and crunches, then have your run time at around 20minutes or less. On top of that have a near perfect CFT, 3.0+ GPA, and good letters of recommendation. Your package will be going to board against numerous other potential candidates from your area. You need your package to stand out in order to be accepted.

usmcrobiebetsy
10-15-12, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Yes you are right about the PLC split. I will be able to max out crunches and pull ups and get the run down considerably but thanks for the heads up.

What is CFT?

usmcrobiebetsy
10-15-12, 08:44 PM
Got it...Combat Fitness Test

usmcrobiebetsy
10-17-12, 09:41 AM
Does age usually hurt your chances of getting selected for PLC? I've read that as long as you have a very competive PFT score you should be fine for the old candidates. Can anyone confirm this? Any other advice for someone older getting into the program for split PLC?

josephd
10-17-12, 05:49 PM
Does age usually hurt your chances of getting selected for PLC? I've read that as long as you have a very competive PFT score you should be fine for the old candidates. Can anyone confirm this? Any other advice for someone older getting into the program for split PLC?

They are getting stricter with age and the age at which a candidate will commission. You are only 24 and still have to go back to school again so that will put you at around 28/29(??) by commissioning. I would say you'd be ok as long as you get you PLC package started and get your foot in the door with the OSO in your area ASAP. The age thing is the same reason OCC and PLC combined are kind of going away right now. The Corps is trying to get younger more career oriented Officers in.

If you PFT, CFT, and GPA are high/competitive I don't see age being an issue. This is something you really need to take up with an OSO though. OSO's are just like recruiters as they want to see you improving and making the moves you need to make this happen. As much as I don't mind answering these questions as with the others on here, these are all questions for your OSO. Never think you are annoying them in anyway, they remember who is asking questions/bugging them. That plays a big part when your package goes to board and your OSO has a final vote on if you go to OCS or not.

usmcrobiebetsy
10-18-12, 08:04 AM
Thank you for the information.