PDA

View Full Version : Combat Water Survival Test

Iggy
10-10-12, 06:58 PM
Hello Marines and thanks for spending the time to read this. Right now I am a "wanna-be" hoping to enlist towards the end of the year or beginning of the next.

I am worried about my swimming proficiency. I know how to swim, but I took a, I guess you could say, introduction to the combat water survival test and performed unsatisfactory. I was hoping someone could tell me how much I should prepare in the swimming area. Obviously Marines need to know how to swim, but should I expect to learn everything during Boot Camp or should I plan to head into Boot Camp with strong swimming skills. Infantry is my preferred MOS if that affects the answer to my question.

If I should start preparing for the Combat Water Survival Test prior to enlistment, what type of activities would best prepare me?

Thanks again for spending your time helping a wanna-be.

Covey_Rider
10-10-12, 07:47 PM
My suggestion would be to go to your local pool and see if they have any lessons that you can take advantage of. While you're not going to need to be a fish in the water during boot camp, it will benefit you in multiple ways to be proficient in the water. There are going to be multiple things that you will learn during Recruit Training that will aid you in your swimming abilities, such as how to properly waterproof your gear, which if done properly your gear will float. However, if you're swimming like a rock right now, then you need to take some initiative and step it up a notch. If there are any areas that you're concerned about, learn them. If you don't you're just wasting everyone's time.

Iggy
10-10-12, 07:58 PM
The biggest thing that concerns me is swimming with one arm while holding my rifle in the other. I will ask around my school to see if there are any swimming programs I can take advantage of and if all else fails there's at least a pool here I can use. Would simply swimming laps help prepare me for the CWST?

Also, any advice on holding my breath for longer periods of time? I've heard it's all mental. I started timing myself and could hold my breath for 45 seconds but as soon as I'm under the water I can't hold my breath for more than about 10 seconds. Is this something that just requires repetition?

Covey_Rider
10-10-12, 08:12 PM
Swimming with the rifle isn't as big of a deal as you might think. Concentrate on survival strokes. The side stroke will be one of your major friends if you can do it right. Being in the water period will assist in preparing you. The test is there to test your ability to keep calm in the event you find yourself in the water. The more comfortable you are in the water, the better off you'll be.

In regards to holding your breath under water, are you taking a deep breath and holding it constantly? If so, this doesn't work. You'll actually find that you can almost completely exhale and sit at the bottom of the pool for longer than 10 seconds. You can train yourself to be able to hold your breath for longer periods of time. Basically, your lungs aren't used to it, and you have to expand them and train your body to be comfortable holding your breath. One thing that I used to do, that may or may not have helped me (but it seemed like it did), was I would float on my stomach with a snorkel on and practice holding my breath. When I needed to exhale, I would very slowly exhale and then not take another breath until I absolutely needed to.

Iggy
10-10-12, 08:21 PM
Thank you very much, sir. I will certainly practice the sidestroke and holding my breath with empty lungs.

thewookie
10-10-12, 08:36 PM
I know how to swim, but

You know how to swim but are you confident in the water? That's what it really boils down to. To get confident in the water you need to spend some time in a pool, a pond or the ocean. To get adept takes much more. But, like my friend Covey said, the swim test you do with a rifle isn't nearly as hard as you think. Plenty of folks do fail though. But natural sink/swim instincts kick in for most and they get through it.

Iggy
10-10-12, 08:46 PM
I consider myself confident in the water but my body seems to disagree if that makes any sense. It's not that I freak out or anything in the water but I do start breathing heavier and get anxious.

The thing is, I attend a Military College and I have swam a lap with a rubber rifle in my weak hand. I could not make it very far before I had to stop and grab the side of the pool. I simply couldn't stay above the water. I'm thinking I need a better stroke. So, I'm not here saying I'm worried I'm going to fail this part of the test, I'm hear saying that as of right now I will fail.

I will practice swimming techniques, holding my breath, and getting more comfortable in the water and if I'm not improving I will return with more specific problems.

Thank you both very much, it's nice to hear I'm stressing over rather unimportant details.

thewookie
10-10-12, 08:54 PM
Thank you both very much, it's nice to hear I'm stressing over rather unimportant details.

I wouldn't say unimportant, we are amphibious monsters; but, I do think you'll get it much better with Drill Instructor's cheering you on. :)

Good luck.