PDA

View Full Version : Marine Officer's daily life?

Sonny1911
10-08-12, 12:13 AM
So im planning to become a Marine officer through PLC. I was just wondering however, what will my daily life be like after i graduate OCS? Would i just be stationed at a camp and do whatever the enlisted do until i get deployed? If i do get deployed, am i in the front lines with the Marines i lead or do i just give orders? Also do officers choose an MOS? If they do, i was considering SOI as one. Plus, do officers get the opportunity to join Force Reconnaissance or MARSOC?

I'm currently a sophomore in highschool with A+ grades and i am a part of my school's wrestling team. So i can as a first hand account relate to muscle fatigue, mental stress and also mental strength.

In addition, can i redirect my paycheck to my parents? I'm not the kind of person who has a need for money.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a teen in highschool right now who just cant wait to lead the fight as the tip of the spear. God bless America, and Semper Fi.

Your future Marine Officer,
Sonam

josephd
10-08-12, 01:11 AM
After graduating from OCS via PLC you will go back to finish school and commission upon graduating with your degree. After that you will go to TBS(The Basic School) where you will learn how to be a Marine officer. At TBS is where you will put together an MOS wish list. From that wish list your MOS will get selected for you based on where you rank in your class TBS class.

Your job as an officer is to take care of and train the Marines in your command. No you will not be doing anything really that the enlisted counterpart in your MOS field will be doing. Being outside the wire/in combat will depend on the MOS you get.

SOI is not a MOS and as an officer you don't go to SOI.

Yes, officers do get the opportunity to join Recon and/or MARSOC but not until after a few years in the fleet and a few tours as a 2nd/1st Lt.

Generally as an officer most of your daily work schedule is filled with planning and executing training exercises for your Marines. This involves alot of paperwork, writing orders, ORM(operational risk management), tasking out your Marines, etc..

As far as giving your pay to your parents...I don't know exactly but why would you want to. You need money for somewhere to live, groceries, a car, other living expenses, etc...

From the way I read your post, although I answered some of your questions, I don't think you have any concept of what being a Marine officer is really all about. You need to focus on finishing high school and getting into college. Once you're in college and underway then you can think about getting an OCS/PLC package started for board.

Lisa 23
10-08-12, 07:42 AM
Thread closed until you have a complete profile besides a first and last name, site rules....which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums. When your profile is complete, PM and Squad Leader from the Squad Leaders sticky in the Ask A Marine forum and your thread will be re-opened.