PDA

View Full Version : Path to take

elfboy86
09-25-12, 10:25 PM
i'm wondering about what path to take on the way to become a Marine because i want to get intelligence and i want to enlist but the only problem is that when i graduate i'll be 17 and need parents consent to enlist but my parents won't go for that. my father went through the plc program but i want to guarantee the job as a crypto like my brother and i know i can do that through enlisting but graduating at 17 its a little bit harder with non consenting parents. i am going this weekend for the NROTC practice day in that bay area but through nrotc can i pick my job? and same for plc will i be able to pick my job? i try talking to my recruiter but he's just telling me to enlist and thats it. it's taking more effort than it should to get info out of him for other paths
and i do have the scores to qualify for any job and i know i need the DLAB and security check to get Crypto

Spears
09-25-12, 10:49 PM
You sound like you might be pretty smart, too bad you didn't read the rules before posting...

elfboy86
09-25-12, 11:19 PM
what did i do wrong then with this post?

josephd
09-25-12, 11:26 PM
are you trying to enlist or commission through NROTC or PLC while in college?

if you enlist yes you can pick intelligence if it is available at the time you choose your MOS. if you go the officer route, no you do not get to pick your MOS. After commissioning you will go to TBS and you'll get a wishlist of what you want and from there you'll get one of those picks based on where you rank in you TBS class. No guarantee.

Another thing, you cannot guarantee a specific MOS even when you enlist. You'll pick an MOS field and then from there the Marine Corps will put you where they need you.

elfboy86
09-25-12, 11:41 PM
okay im working towards the NROTC scholarship right now, but im trying to get together a couple back up plans in case i don't get it. And i want to go officer but i feel that going through enlisted then officer would make me a better officer than going straight officer.
and for guaranteesing a specific MOS my recruiter was telling me that crypto is the only guaranteed job because its the only job in its field and he said that if i pass the DLAB and security check. then its a guarantee is that true?

josephd
09-26-12, 02:04 AM
I can't answer the question about crypto and being guaranteed because I don't know, hopefully another Marine will chime in and can answer that.

As for the whole enlisted to officer thing.....enlisting is NOT a stepping stone to becoming an officer. And being prior enlisted does not necessarily make you a better officer. You either know how to lead, mentor, and train or you don't. It is not something you learn. Yes, being prior enlisted does have its advantages when being an officer but those advantages I am not even going to get into because at this point for you they wouldn't make sense and it is not something you should be concerned about.

If you have the means to do it, go to college. Try for the NROTC scholarship but if you don't get it still go to college. If after a few years you decide that being a Marine is what you want, whether it be enlisting or commissioning, then you can go for whatever you decide. The Marine Corps will be going through some MAJOR changes in the next few years, it may be something that you may not want to do in the next year or two. The Marine Corps will always be around, getting an education gets harder as you get older(trust me I know, I am 27 soon to be 28 and I am starting from square one again with college).

m14ed
09-26-12, 02:30 AM
You sound like you might be pretty smart, ,
too bad you didn't read the rules ,
before posting...

Spears said it correctly ...Your profile is Sadly lacking information.. And . Blank/incomplete profiles rarely are answered in here.

Understand when i tell you ( 17 doesn't last forever )

Zulu 36
09-26-12, 09:04 AM
Thread closed until profile is completed per site rules.

You can PM me or any other squad leader/admin to re-open the thread once the profile is completed.

Zulu 36
09-27-12, 06:35 AM
Profile minimally complete. Thread re-opened

Tennessee Top
09-27-12, 03:54 PM
Now you know what you did wrong (incomplete profile)! You should really read the site rules before doing something else that will get you suspended again!

Gunstream
09-27-12, 04:19 PM
It really irritates me that people don't have the time to incorporate the most basic rules of capitalization, grammar, and punctuation, but expect others to take the time to answer their inquiries. And this coming from someone who has high enough ASVAB scores to qualify for any job in the Corps.

Tennessee Top
09-27-12, 04:51 PM
Also a violation of the site rules but he did not bother to read those. It's the texting mentality (probably typing/texting on his smartphone keyboard and not a PC keyboard; at least, that's the excuse most of them use anyway). He may wise up after getting suspended from the site again but probably not; we'll see.